Talk

Advanced search

Boys names that go with Chinese last name - help!!

(33 Posts)
Clapina Wed 21-Sep-11 11:39:24

Hi

my husband and I are trying to come up with a shortlist of names that goes well with his last name (Ho)...

I am Italian and, altough it would be lovely to give the baby an Italian name, pretty much all of them end in "o" and they just don't sound right next to the last name (Paolo Ho, Marco Ho, Tommaso Ho)

We both really like Maximilian (nn Max) but I worry that kids might make fun of a Max Ho at school. Does it really sound like a pimp's name? hmm

What do you think?

I am open to all comments/suggestions :-)

Thanks!

Beamur Wed 21-Sep-11 11:42:53

I quite like the 'o' and 'o' sounds with an italian first name, it's quite musical.
Max Ho - I suppose it depends if the 'ho' slang continues...it's going to be a good few years before other kids would be aware of the word, so if it had fallen out of use by then it wouldn't be a problem.

OTheHugeRaveningWolef Wed 21-Sep-11 11:44:05

Definitely not Westward.

<runs>

Clapina Wed 21-Sep-11 11:51:32

Ah ah, I had to google Westward to understand the joke... grin

Meteorite Wed 21-Sep-11 11:52:18

Jacob Ho
Alexander Ho
Daniel Ho
Oliver Ho
Samuel Ho

cheekydino Wed 21-Sep-11 11:54:51

One of the nicest pupils I ever taught was called Jonathan Ho! Shortened to Jonny or Jono.

greenzebra Wed 21-Sep-11 11:55:04

I think Max Ho sounds fine I dont think of pimp when I hear it.

addictediam Wed 21-Sep-11 12:03:20

I quite like Jatha.

I don't think Max Ho is a problem, its nice

nailak Wed 21-Sep-11 12:03:48

bruce, bruno

hulabula Wed 21-Sep-11 12:06:42

I think you should go for a (unshortenable) two syllable name. Max Ho doesn't sound good imo. And neither does Dan Ho or Sam Ho imo.

How about
Felix Ho
Quentin Ho
Adam Ho

TangerineQueen Wed 21-Sep-11 12:09:02

Raphael/Rafael?
Daniele?

Though I think Max is fine and you love it!

mopsyflopsy Wed 21-Sep-11 12:15:33

I agree that a two syllable name sounds best with such a short surname. We too have a one-syllable surname and both our kids have two syllable first names - I think that sounds best. And I also agree that the first name shouldn't end in -o.

How about Tristan Ho, Jamie Ho, Alex Ho, Patrick Ho and I also like the suggestions of Quentin Ho and Felix Ho.

I'm not keen on Max Ho, sorry.

ThePosieParker Wed 21-Sep-11 12:18:01

WE have some Chinese-English children at school and they have double barrelled names....

EG.

Joseph West-Chang
Lucy Millard-Lu

Perhaps consider your dcs have both your and DH's name?

greenzebra Wed 21-Sep-11 12:19:13

dont go for Felix Ho (break down it down Fe - licks - Ho) you dont want anything with Licks ho in it.

CaptainNancy Wed 21-Sep-11 12:25:04

Marcus
Lucien
Daniel (though I suspect there may be more than a few Daniel Ho s around in the world already!)
Jackson
Hector/Ettore?

We gave our children their ethinc heritage name as one of their middle names tbh smile

Meteorite Wed 21-Sep-11 12:25:46

Gung
Hey
Hoho

Meteorite Wed 21-Sep-11 12:27:43

... or Tally

(just so you can avoid anything that sounds like these!)

hulabula Wed 21-Sep-11 12:41:05

yeah, you're right greenzebra Felix Ho doesn't sound good on further reflection.

And neither does Hector (Hecky) Ho imo grin

LaWeasel Wed 21-Sep-11 12:49:09

I think whatever you pick is going to be tricky for the teen years because Ho is still Ho!

In which case you might as well just have whatever you like...

Clapina Wed 21-Sep-11 13:26:25

Wow, thanks for all the replies. We already have an Oliver, Alexander and Samuel in the immediate/family and circle of friends.

Also I would really prefer for the kids to have their father's name only (we don't really use double barrelled names in Italy)

I like the sound of James Ho (Jamie Ho) and Patrick (Paddy Ho?)

What about Henry Ho or Charles Ho?

Is there any other way to shorten Maximilian in English? :-P

SecretSquirrel193 Wed 21-Sep-11 13:49:56

Vincent Ho (Vinny Ho)

poppydaisy Wed 21-Sep-11 14:20:58

Max Ho isn't great, sorry. Two syllables sound much better. I think a name ending in a consonant (e.g. Patrick, Quentin, Jackson, Tristan) sound better with the surname Ho. I don't like Henry Ho, Charlie Ho or Vinny Ho.

Tortington Wed 21-Sep-11 14:23:12

Luca Ho?

luke for short - italian and chinese heritage there

Thank me in beer

poppydaisy Wed 21-Sep-11 14:24:25

Luke Ho - are you serious grin?

Meteorite Wed 21-Sep-11 14:30:34

Henry Ho is too similar to Hi-de-ho (as in the show Hi-de-hi).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now