Talk

Advanced search

Using a very bengali name- would it seem odd?

(16 Posts)
fivegotoacliffandfalloff Tue 20-Sep-11 22:08:41

My best friend since the age of 14 died about 2 years ago.

Now I'm expecting would like to include her in DCs if a DD name.
She was british bengali, so can I use her name (DH and I are not), or would it appear wierd/odd?

I know I could just use it as a mn but I want to really have it as a fn (unless it would be odd then would have to have a mn)

So what do you think of using:
Dilruba

nailak Tue 20-Sep-11 22:09:40

i dont think it is odd, this is the era of multiculturalism, people who are not welsh use welsh names etc so whats the diff?

MockingbirdsNotForSale Tue 20-Sep-11 22:12:44

I don't think it is screamingly Bengali. Go for it regardless. My DD has a Welsh name and we aren't Welsh and the other name we were thinking of for her was Indian and we are not.

MockingbirdsNotForSale Tue 20-Sep-11 22:13:20

Also, lots of nicknames can be used from it like Dilly or Ruby.

BarryKent Tue 20-Sep-11 22:14:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fivegotoacliffandfalloff Tue 20-Sep-11 22:22:47

Barry Yeah well enough as we have a very very short and relatively well known surname.
Glad we can use it

BarryKent Tue 20-Sep-11 22:28:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

poormesomemore Tue 20-Sep-11 22:29:33

Not odd at all. Really like naming after friend. Plus it is a really nice name.

SheCutOffTheirTails Tue 20-Sep-11 22:34:47

She'll have an unusual name with a very personal story.

I think it's a lovely way to remember your friend smile

greenzebra Wed 21-Sep-11 09:30:27

I think its lovely and it has a lovely story to it. And if your partner and you are in a agreement then go for it.

chandellina Wed 21-Sep-11 09:43:35

yes, by all means go for it. lots of French, Irish, Italian, etc. names used by people with zero genetic links to those places!

TwoPeasOnePod Wed 21-Sep-11 10:19:15

What a lovely name, and a beautiful reason behind why you want to use it. Think to yourself, you only get one life and you only get to name your child once, choose a name YOU like and that has meaning to YOU. It is utterly and completely irrelevant what anyone else thinks. Plus, as I already said, it is a lovely name!

hulabula Wed 21-Sep-11 12:29:34

What a lovely, underused name and what a lovely reason for choosing it!

poppydaisy Wed 21-Sep-11 14:23:13

Never heard of Dilruba but I like your reason for choosing it and agree it has lovley nicknames.

winkle2 Wed 21-Sep-11 21:56:55

Doesn't sound very Bengali and I like the nicknames and the reason behind it.

avacat Thu 22-Sep-11 17:34:15

It's a lovely name and has a lovely meaning. It's also the name of an Indian instrument and a very popular song!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now