Talk

Advanced search

Vivien/Vivienne

(16 Posts)
takethatlady Tue 20-Sep-11 10:19:30

So I have an 11 week old DD smile smile smile Obviously I'm not yet going to have another one, but DH and I have been talking about names again and for another DD I love Vivien or Vivienne. I think it's classy, elegant and romantic. DH thinks it is the name of an obese secretary with a bad perm. He is annoying with names because he hates them all until he knows somebody with that name and he can then be persuaded, though Vivien Leigh and Vivienne Westwood have yet to persuade him. What do people on here think of the name?

takethatlady Tue 20-Sep-11 10:20:05

PS - our DD's name is Isobel smile

Kyrie Tue 20-Sep-11 10:52:51

I much prefer the Vivienne spelling, it's a great name though, very classy. I think of Brad and Angelina's baby when I hear it so I think of it as a old name that's come back into fashion, not dated at all.

MelinaM Tue 20-Sep-11 11:05:15

I prefer Vivienne toosmile There's also Vivian too.

Vyvyan was the name of one of Oscar Wilde's sons ...not sure as that will persuade your DH though!

There's also Vivienne Chandler the French actress turned photographer.

MangoMonster Tue 20-Sep-11 11:11:28

I prefer Vivienne too.

BelleEnd Tue 20-Sep-11 11:22:30

Ooooh it's lovely.

anewmotivatedme Tue 20-Sep-11 12:10:19

Vivienne

takethatlady Tue 20-Sep-11 16:52:30

Thanks! I wasn't expecting unanimous praise! We went for the Isobel spelling as it's a little less fussy than Isabelle IMO but I too like the Vivienne spelling for this name. I didn't think of the Brangelina connection.

Got to work on him now ha ha. We won't ttc for another year so I bet I can wear him down! I think Isobel and Vivienne go well together too smile

Mousesmummy Tue 20-Sep-11 18:28:07

I love it too!! I have 3dd's and it was my next name on my list - when dc came out as a boy my very first thought was "oh there goes my Vivienne!" smile
I had a similarly poor reaction from my dh and family but it would not have deterred me - I just love the way it looks written down - go for it!

SlinkingOutsideInSocks Tue 20-Sep-11 23:04:07

I love Vivienne! But likewise, my DH is not that keen on it, if and when we have another DD.

Ironically I am an Isobel myself, but definitely prefer the additional 'ne' on the end of Vivienne.

How can he not be persuaded by Vivien Leigh though?! She is a legendary beauty IMO.

As for Vivian I believe that is that male version of the name.

FootballFriendSays Tue 20-Sep-11 23:05:59

I like it v much.

SlinkingOutsideInSocks Tue 20-Sep-11 23:06:29

And I really like Vivi as a nickname (loads more than Viv, which is the equivalent of calling an Elizabeth 'Liz' instead of the myriad other, much pretter diminutives).

takethatlady Wed 21-Sep-11 08:34:08

Yes! Vivi would definitely be the nickname we would use (at least until she got old enough to tell us she hated it ha ha). Oh no, this thread has only confirmed my love of the name even more, and I'm feeling very broody grin Lovely pic of Vivien Leigh by the way. I will keep trying!

GeeinItLaldy Wed 21-Sep-11 08:39:21

Vivienne is on my list of names if we ever have a DD. Love Vivi as a nn.

winkle2 Wed 21-Sep-11 20:42:11

One of my best buddies is called Vivien. I like it.

tammytoby Thu 22-Sep-11 15:07:33

Love Vivienne, lovely elegant and not overused!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now