Talk

Advanced search

Finlay

(38 Posts)
Hopintobed Mon 19-Sep-11 20:34:22

I realise it's popular in some areas but popularity doesn't worry me too much. What are your thoughts on the name? DS1 is Joseph. DS2 is due in December and is as yet nameless!

whenstrangethingshappen Mon 19-Sep-11 20:41:10

Personally I don't like it. But then I really like Fin.

nonsenses Mon 19-Sep-11 20:42:34

I really like it, love Fin too. Joe and Fin work well!

Hopintobed Mon 19-Sep-11 20:47:43

So undecided! Ds1 name was so easy. We are really struggling this time. Sometimes I love Finlay, other times it seems a bit trendy?? Even though I know it's an old name it doesn't have the same traditional classic feel that Joseph has... or is that just me otherthinking things??

nonsenses Mon 19-Sep-11 20:49:22

It's not as obviously classic as Joseph which has been popular for years, but like you say, it is an old name. I know a Finlay with a brother called Thomas - Fin & Tom. In fact.. how about Thomas??

essexmumma Mon 19-Sep-11 20:59:13

Love it!

1234BOYS Mon 19-Sep-11 21:05:10

I have a Finlay so clearly love it. He mostly goes by Fin. My other boys are Noah, Oscar & Hugo. I love the name Joseph smile

HandsOffOurLand Mon 19-Sep-11 21:05:56

Not my cup of tea. Joseph is nice, though.

hugebluebump Mon 19-Sep-11 21:24:12

Joseph is a lovely classic name. Finlay, on the other hand, is very trendy - five years ago I had never heard the name, now I know over ten Fins/Finns. I think it will date.

tammytoby Mon 19-Sep-11 21:33:35

I'm not keen, sorry.

Xavielli Wed 21-Sep-11 09:53:46

I really don't like the name Finley, which may be considered odd as I have a Finn, which I love.

I agree with whoever said thomas

tummytickler Wed 21-Sep-11 10:27:31

I really dislike the name Finlay/Finley. You cant swing a cat here without knocking over at least 10 varieties of Fin. It is so trendy at the moment.
How about something more classic with Joseph?
Benjamin, Benedict, Gregory, Thomas, Henry, George, William?

LisaAmber Wed 21-Sep-11 10:49:41

I have a 7 year old called Finlay (goes by Fin). It was a very unusual name when I picked it, but now there are loads of Finlays going about. Not so many Fins though. Also like the variation Fynn. My DS's middle name is Cole, which I love, and I wish I was brave enough back then to give him that as his first name! Mind you, there are quite a few Cole's popping up now too!! You can't seem to win! Think you find a nice, but unusual name, and then everyone jumps on the band wagon!! haha!! Fin and Joe sound good together though! :D Xx

1234BOYS Wed 21-Sep-11 11:21:03

Finley and Finlay are two different names. Finley is Finlee and Finlay is FinLAY. Hardly trendy when it's such an old name but I agree that it is very popular now!

1234BOYS Wed 21-Sep-11 11:27:09

and for those of you who say you only know under 5s named Fin/Finlay, you only have to search in Facebook to see there are in fact loads of over 5s and middle aged men named Finlay.

tummytickler Wed 21-Sep-11 11:28:13

I know Finley and Finlay are two different names, but both are popular and to me all the 'Fin' names blur in to one, there are so many of them.
Old names can be trendy too you know - what about Jayden - height of trendiness, but it is biblical.

1234BOYS Wed 21-Sep-11 11:31:56

Jayden is Biblical? I think you need to do so more research grin

Idohaveoneofthese Wed 21-Sep-11 11:33:23

I have a Finlay who is 3.5, I liked the name at the time but it is sooo popular now. My brother suggested Flynn at the time - which I thought was a bit out there, however, given the choice now, I would probably go for it.

Idohaveoneofthese Wed 21-Sep-11 11:34:49

Jadon is biblical (thankful or judge) and Jayden is a form of that

1234BOYS Wed 21-Sep-11 11:39:35

Jadon is not pronounced Jay-den.

1234BOYS Wed 21-Sep-11 11:42:11

I do agree that biblical names date too though. Mark, Paul, Jason etc are today's Joshua, Isaac, Elijah and Noahs sad (I have a Noah too)

tummytickler Wed 21-Sep-11 11:47:16

Oh, I have an Elijah sad but i called him that because I know some in all age groups so assumed it wouldn't sound tooo dated in the future. He is 8 now - hope he wont mind being the new Kevin grin

1234BOYS Wed 21-Sep-11 11:59:21

I think we have different definitions of trendy tummy. Trendy names to me are the naff names that date - think Wayne, Dwanye, Kevin, Kylie, Michelle etc. Whereas you mean names that will date - as in linked to an era like Claire, Mark, Andrew, Michael etc. Elijah won't date like Kevin! I love Elijah btw.

hulabula Wed 21-Sep-11 12:09:35

I know so, so many little Finlays, Finleys, Finnians, Fintons, most of which go by the nickname Fin/Finn, that to me the name has lost some of its 'purpose' (to identify someone). I think, having risen in popularity quickly, it will start to feel dated as people tire of it. Only time will tell whether it will date like Kevin/Wayne or more like Steve/Andy - but date it will imo.

1234BOYS Wed 21-Sep-11 12:18:17

I agree that it will feel dated in 20 years - along with my other 3 sons names. I don't think it can be avoided unless you go for a name like James/John or a really obscure name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now