Talk

Advanced search

Is it weird to name your child after a dog you used to have?

(28 Posts)
findmeintheflowerbed Mon 19-Sep-11 13:53:38

DC2 due this week...perhaps I am having a hormonal wobble as we had agreed on a name if it turns out to be a boy.
But I used to have a dog called Fred when I was a child, and was just going through that spreadsheet of baby names from the statistics website and saw Frederick. Like it a lot.
Would it be weird to name my child Frederick?

Hullygully Mon 19-Sep-11 13:55:10

I dunno, ds is named after our old dog (his initials make the name), so it seems all right to me.

RunnerHasbeen Mon 19-Sep-11 13:57:01

You aren't calling him that because of the dog, it happens to be a name you liked then and still like now, so I can't see a problem with it.

smartyparts Mon 19-Sep-11 13:58:52

It would be weird if the dog's name had been Rover or Fido, but Fred's a good human name too!

findmeintheflowerbed Mon 19-Sep-11 14:00:38

Thanks. Yes, luckily we chose a nice, normal name for our dog!
Will run it by DH tonight!

parentfailure Mon 19-Sep-11 14:01:40

What Smartparts said grin

No one is going to bat an eyelid at Fred. Lovely name grin

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Mon 19-Sep-11 14:18:52

My DD is called the same name as a cat we used to have. Not Fanny, the other one wink

dogscatsandbabies Mon 19-Sep-11 14:26:16

DD born on the day our bulldog turned 10. If she'd been a boy, I'm not sure she would have escaped having Henry in the name somewhere. But we passed on Henrietta. I heard yesterday that a woman had her baby in the lift at the hospital and they called him... Otis. I kid you not.

BlueChampagne Mon 19-Sep-11 15:55:02

No-one has to know you had a dog called Fred!

LoveInAColdClimate Mon 19-Sep-11 15:57:01

I'm thinking about doing this if our baby is a boy... I don't think it's weird.

Avantia Mon 19-Sep-11 16:14:50

Used to have a budgie called Fred - then we found out it was a girl and was called Freda .

Fred is fine . (just make him sit for treats ) grin

Good luck with DC2.

scarlettlips Mon 19-Sep-11 19:11:50

I wanted to called DD Isla but DH said we're not naming our baby after your bloody (dead) family dog.

But I love that bloody (dead) dog as did the rest of our family.

Go for it!

newmumma Thu 22-Sep-11 09:14:58

my DS has same name as our old family dog, but dog was definitely Georgie, and son is only George. Found out during the best man's speech at our wedding that DH had a ferret called George as well. Personally, and luckily I guess, it doesn't bother us at all. Its the name we like, our DS is not named after either the dog or the ferret!!

Boy did I love that dog too....

Meteorite Thu 22-Sep-11 09:28:54

No, it's fine. It's not as though Frederick is a particularly "doggy" name anyway.

HPonEverything Thu 22-Sep-11 09:31:50

I think it's fine! I love my dog's name (he is rescue and 'came with it') and would definitely have it for my child even though I wouldn't have thought of it myself if you get my drift.

If I were to have a son post-doggy-demise he might find himself getting named after it.

eaglewings Thu 22-Sep-11 09:38:20

Friend called her son the same name as her mil's dog who had just died. It's such a nice name and the dog was adorable.

Think it's fine

YokoOhNo Thu 22-Sep-11 09:47:44

Well, if the dog was called Nipper or Rover or something it would be weird, but Fred is a nice, human name too, so why not? His future employer/bank manager/GP won't know or care that his mum had a dog 40 years before with the same name.

I have a friend called Lucy who was named after a pet pig her dad had as a boy hmm

munstersmum Thu 22-Sep-11 09:50:11

I know a girl who was named after the father's yacht shock

YokoOhNo Thu 22-Sep-11 09:54:00

munstermum moves in posher circles than me! wink

findmeintheflowerbed Thu 22-Sep-11 09:54:23

well, thanks for all the replies, but it turns out dh doesn't like the name anyway! Am a bit gutted tbh. Due any day, will try to persuade him...

munstersmum Thu 22-Sep-11 10:38:42

YokoOh I was but the babysitter !

munstersmum Thu 22-Sep-11 10:40:15

Go down the line of compromise - Fred as a middle name....then just start casually using it wink

Georgimama Thu 22-Sep-11 10:43:12

I wasted my favourite girl's name on my dog (she's still alive). Persuade DH and go for it.

Fennel Thu 22-Sep-11 10:46:18

We named dd2 after a cat that was still living at the time. Like many other people I'd "wasted" favourite names on pets, a long time before it seemed relevant. Then we changed the cat's name slightly, to a shortened version of "was dd2name". And the cat was "Was...." for evermore.

emmyloo2 Fri 23-Sep-11 06:04:49

No problems at all and Frederick is a fabulous name. I am sure you will no relate it to your old dog once your baby is called Fred. I have the name Samuel on my list if I ever have another DS and we used to have a dog called Sammy. I don't care. I love the name!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now