Talk

Advanced search

Really want to name our baby!

(60 Posts)
shufflebum Sun 18-Sep-11 21:12:34

DS2 is 3 days old and we just can't decide between Rex or Freddy. We have been trying each out for size but can't come to a decision. Both names have family connections, Rex was my Grandfather and Freddy was DH's so naturally I'm drawn to Rex and DH to Freddy but both of us are okay with the other.

I feel Freddy goes better with our surname (Cole) as it is 2 syllables but I like the fact that Rex is more unusual. I appreciate it's becoming more popular but I don't think it will be a Jack or Oliver. DS1 is Xander and I just feel like it would look like we put more effort into his name than DS2's if we went with Freddy.
God it's sounds ridiculous now I've typed it out but I just want to give the poor child a name!
Opinions please smile

DigOfTheStump Sun 18-Sep-11 21:25:44

I think you should stick with both as middle names, and give your son something of his own as a first name.

How about Felix, Findlay, Merlin, Griffin or Patrick?

Oh, and congrats!

Ebb Sun 18-Sep-11 21:26:57

Freddy is much nicer in my opinion. smile

lockets Sun 18-Sep-11 21:27:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Catsu Sun 18-Sep-11 21:29:03

Rex is cooler and goes better alongside xander imo.
Rex goes fine with your surname too I think!

shufflebum Sun 18-Sep-11 21:31:55

Dig I hadn't thought of it like that! Not a fan of your suggestions though, DH vetoed virtually every name I liked hence why we went down the family connections route. I like Reuben, Jude, Eli, Leo but no go with DH sad

greenzebra Sun 18-Sep-11 21:33:19

I would go Rex as it goes with your Xander. And have Freddy as the middle name, and then sometimes if you want you can call him freddy.

EdithWeston Sun 18-Sep-11 21:35:07

Rex Cole is a bit too near Old King Cole to me. So I'd go for Frederick, which I think is lovely.

reddaisy Sun 18-Sep-11 21:36:38

Rex

GingerLa Sun 18-Sep-11 21:37:25

I really like the name Rex and think its really cool, Freddy would go well as a middle name? Or even more unusual n mix em Fredrex (more commonly Fredrik's) If you get what I mean.. either way Im sure he will grow into whatever you choose....

shufflebum Sun 18-Sep-11 21:43:19

I think Rex goes better with Xander, it's just the one syllable that bothers me.

Don't like Rex, sorry.

Not fond of Freddy but love Frederick/Fred.

Like Jude.

hulabula Sun 18-Sep-11 21:50:54

Try saying Rex, Xander quickly like when you'll be calling them. I think the two Xs could run into each other.

I think Freddie and Xander sound better together.

lockets Sun 18-Sep-11 21:52:29

Maryz Sun 18-Sep-11 22:15:51

I like Rex. Keep Freddy for ds3 smile.

hulababy, she won't be calling Rex, Xander, she'll be calling Xander, Rex, which will be fine. We always yell at call our older children first grin.

Rex Frederick Cole would be fine too (to keep dh happy) Whereas Freddy Rex would sound odd, I think.

pinkytheshrinky Sun 18-Sep-11 22:20:23

freddy rex sounds like ready brek!

rex is lovely

anewmotivatedme Mon 19-Sep-11 10:26:16

I love Frederick, with Freddie as nn.

Sorry, but I associate Rex, with our family dog.

lockets Mon 19-Sep-11 11:14:46

hugebluebump Mon 19-Sep-11 11:15:07

I think Freddie and Xander sound great together. Rex and Xander don't work that well together imo.

shufflebum Mon 19-Sep-11 14:04:44

Well that's about a 50:50 split so you lot are no help! grin

Ebb Mon 19-Sep-11 14:17:43

Flip a coin! grin

Maryz Mon 19-Sep-11 15:36:40

Well that's gratitude for you shock.

You have your answer, I'm right as always.

seeker Mon 19-Sep-11 15:42:05

Freddy. But please call him Frederick- he won't always be a baby so won't always want a cutesy name.

Ihavewelliesbutitssunny Mon 19-Sep-11 15:43:26

I slightly prefer Rex. I think because its more unique and goes better with Xander than Freddy. Also as you pushed Rex/Freddy out I think that he should be named after your Grandad grin. I do like the idea of using Felix as a compromise though but I don't think it goes so well with Xander.

shufflebum Thu 22-Sep-11 21:06:27

Still not named poor DS2. Have named him Freddy (got DS1 to pull it out of a hat) then had a wobble and changed it to Rex and now today I don't think it suits him. Am getting all emotional over it as people keep asking his name and I can't tell them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now