Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Veronica

(27 Posts)
poppingkoalas Sun 18-Sep-11 01:26:35

What do you think of it?

And apart from Ronnie what other nn could we have?

niccibabe Sun 18-Sep-11 01:38:03

not a favourite of mine...but if you like it

it's fairly uncommon these days, so that may appeal

Vera is the popular nn - almost all Veras are Veronicas

I detest the nn Ronnie - but then I don't like boys names on girls.

Kaekae Sun 18-Sep-11 11:07:25

I think it is refreshing to hear. Ronnie is a nice nn for a teen I think.

SaffronCake Sun 18-Sep-11 11:09:50

Best friends sister is a Veronica, has always been Von or Vonny for short (which is what small children say when they try to say Veronica).

I can't say I love it, but I've heard a lot worse.

pinkytheshrinky Sun 18-Sep-11 11:12:38

I know two Veronicas - one is a horrible woman who was a friend of my Mums but really miserable and mean to me when I was a child, and the other is a rather Glam Eastern European girl who is a friend of a friend - she is impossible pretty and incredibly charming

so I am split, not a favourite name of mine but is unusual which is always nice

picnicbasketcase Sun 18-Sep-11 11:18:59

I think it's irrevocably old ladyish. The only one I know has huge ankles and varicose veins.

SaffronCake Sun 18-Sep-11 11:22:08

Actually can I change my mind? The more I think about it the less I think it's going to be wearable for her. Saying no. (Next change of opinion 4 minutes).

Iliketothinkimnumber6 Sun 18-Sep-11 12:30:21

umm ??????

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sun 18-Sep-11 12:33:36

I like it but suspect I am one of the only people who will. I used to have a plant called Veronica! And it is a rather good song by Elvis Costello too, of course.

How about Verry (to rhyme with Merry) for quite a pretty nickname?

hevak Sun 18-Sep-11 12:49:57

It's lovely! My sister's name is Veronica.

Funnily enough she's never been called Ronnie - I'm always surprised when people think this is the only/main nickname for Veronica.

Nicknames she has are: Veron, Vron, Ron, Ronna, Vronna, Vee (as in 'V')... and Ronca (by our younger cousin when he was 2yo and struggled to say Veronica!)

She's only ever had lovely comments. It's a good name in that (most) people know how to spell it without asking, it is not too common that there are loads of others in her class, and it passes the "could she be Prime Minister with that name?" test. Also, no one (kids at school) could make up any nasty nicknames based on Veronica.

hevak Sun 18-Sep-11 12:51:08

Oh, and she loves having her 'own' song... in fact my Mum hadn't been considering the name until she heard the Elvis Costello song.

findmeawell Sun 18-Sep-11 13:07:41

Well I like it.

dearheart Sun 18-Sep-11 16:19:42

I like it - favourite nn would be Verry

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sun 18-Sep-11 17:46:19

Also a v funny song by The Sultans Of Ping

pacinofan Sun 18-Sep-11 22:54:16

I'll go against the flow here, I love it, my Grandma was Veronica, as is my Mum, dd1 has Veronica as her middle name and has recently said she wishes 'Ronnie' was her first name 'cos she thinks it's cool!

I like unusual names, and tbh, sometimes wish I'd had the nerve to give dd1 a more unusal name; hers is and prob always be in the top 10, whilst Veronica and indeed dds's names rarely make the top 100.

Go for it, great, strong name!

whenstrangethingshappen Mon 19-Sep-11 20:43:06

I like it and like Verry or Vee

hugebluebump Mon 19-Sep-11 21:28:31

I like Veronica, it makes a refreshing change from all the Ellas, Ellies, Evies that I hear these days. I know one who used to get called Vronny. I alsoi like Vee, Vera or Verry.

Meteorite Mon 19-Sep-11 21:42:42

It's OK. Vanessa quite nice too.

MrsRobertDuvall Mon 19-Sep-11 21:46:50

It is the name of my MIL.
Say no more.

MockingbirdsNotForSale Mon 19-Sep-11 21:49:11

The French abbreviate Veronique with Vero which I think is a nice nn.

PercyFilth Mon 19-Sep-11 23:03:00

None of the Veronicas I've known were ever called by a shortening of the name (except, just occasionally, V). Although I know that one has some family nicknames, but random ones that are not associated with her name.

I don't think you can always "plan" a nickname - they often arise naturally once the child is here.

As for the name, I like it.

poormesomemore Tue 20-Sep-11 09:28:48

I like it.

SecondhandRose Tue 20-Sep-11 09:46:28

Sorry, makes me think of verrucas and other v words.

takemebacktosmallville Tue 20-Sep-11 18:54:17

I like it.
Plus you get your own saint and a movie star and many songs and a tv programme and yet it isn't popular.

anewmotivatedme Wed 21-Sep-11 10:46:22

i don't like it. Sorry.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: