Talk

Advanced search

Olivia-Rose?

(31 Posts)
Louplet Sat 17-Sep-11 20:52:56

Am considering this for our very new DD. Does a hyphenated name work here?

MelinaM Sat 17-Sep-11 21:04:16

I'd drop the hyphen, it's unnecessarysmile

NationalTruss Sat 17-Sep-11 21:49:45

Olivia, lovely. Rose, lovely. Olivia-Rose, a mouthful.

JMHO.

MrsJohnDeere Sat 17-Sep-11 22:00:28

Better without the hyphen IMHO.

MummysLittleSunbeams Sat 17-Sep-11 22:03:55

Better without the hyphen, though rather too popular for my tastes.

SlinkingOutsideInSocks Sat 17-Sep-11 22:34:32

I just do not get hyphens. Why do you want to hyphenate it?

Why not Olivia Rose? Olivia is the most popular girl's name at the moment - are you trying to make it slightly more unusual by adding on the -Rose? hmm Because you do realise that Rose (along with May) is pretty much the default middle name / hyphenated choice, right?

brodanbell Sat 17-Sep-11 22:38:19

I think it is pretty as a fn/mn combo, but unnecessary to have a hypenated first name. Olivia is fine just as it is.

StellaAndFries Sat 17-Sep-11 22:43:03

I like it but I'm very biased grin

5ofus Sat 17-Sep-11 22:45:52

No. Hyphen unnecessary.

effingwotnots Sat 17-Sep-11 22:50:32

I like it. Doesn't the hyphen just emphasise that it's a double name rather than a first name then a middle name.

Don't see the problem myself smile

FairyArmadillo Sun 18-Sep-11 01:35:54

Olivia Rose is lovely. Olivia-Rose as a first name is a bit of a mouthful.

HengshanRoad Sun 18-Sep-11 05:42:09

If you want your daughter to have both the most popular first name and middle name, go for it. The hyphen is neither here nor there.

TheRealMBJ Sun 18-Sep-11 06:02:50

They're both nice names, but very, very popular at the moment. Hyphen does work in my opinion, but I don't think any hyphen really ever adds anything.

Catslikehats Sun 18-Sep-11 06:32:51

Echo everyone else. Nice names but extremely popular.

Don't like hyphenated names.

HooverTheHamaBeads Sun 18-Sep-11 08:34:32

Drop the hyphen, it looks and sounds naff.

Olivia is a beautiful name

Louplet Mon 19-Sep-11 01:30:48

I have a good friend whose DD1 is Olivia so feel awkward going for that on it's own. I love the name so does it really matter if it's popular? My friend lives abroad btw so I don't see her very often.? I thought it would be nice to be known by both names rather than have Rose just as a middle name.

GwendolineMaryLacey Mon 19-Sep-11 06:35:44

I know an Olivia-Grace and everyone seems to manage just fine. I have a hyphenated 70's name and people cope admirably with it. This aversion to hyphens is new and a bit silly. Go for it if you like it smile

hugebluebump Mon 19-Sep-11 10:15:06

You've chosen THE most popular girls' first name and are combining it with THE most popular girls' middle name. As long as you're aware of that and don't mind, go ahead. I'd go for something less popular personally, but it is your baby, your choice.

brodanbell Mon 19-Sep-11 13:06:12

Controversial perhaps, but given that your friend has named her daughter the No.1 most popular girls name, I don't think she can really have a gripe if you do the same. She's bound to bump into another some day sooner or later. You also don't live in the same country, so I really don't see it's a problem. If you like Olivia, just use it. Don't see why you need to dress it up. Just let your friend know, be casual about it-say something like, well we obviously have good taste, don't we?

Stoirin Mon 19-Sep-11 13:23:44

I hate hyphenated girls names, so twee. You rarely see boys with hyphens.

EricNorthmansMistress Mon 19-Sep-11 20:04:17

I hate hyphenated names of the Olivia-Rose, Ella-Mae, Lily-Grace type. I think they are awful and twee and ruin perfectly nice names. Olivia and Rose are very common but that's not really a problem. The hyphen really is.

Hulababy Mon 19-Sep-11 20:06:15

I loike both names and they go lovely together. But I don't like the hyphen, just have the two seperate names.

minipie Mon 19-Sep-11 20:08:18

Olivia-Rose is a real mouthful. She will not get called the full 5 syllables by anyone except you. It will get shortened to Olivia or Livvy or possibly OR.

EricNorthmansMistress Mon 19-Sep-11 20:12:28

Livia is a nice variant if you want it to be different to your friend's DD.

StellaAndFries Mon 19-Sep-11 20:46:37

I have 4 dd's with hyphenated names and they are called both names 99% of the time both at home and at school. With four of them though I can't guarantee that I'm calling the right one by the right name though grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now