Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Is it weird to call our baby the same name as my brother?

(64 Posts)
Hopintobed Sat 17-Sep-11 18:39:24

We have recently found out we are expecting DS2. We already have DS called Joseph. The only other name I really love is Daniel but it's my brother's name. I have loved the name since I was a child but is it weird to call him same name. Me and my brother are still fairly close and he lives in same town so he is definitely in our children's lives. Is it confusing or weird or OK?

lchodge Sat 17-Sep-11 18:42:29

I don't see anything wrong with that. Nice, strong name too.

SandStorm Sat 17-Sep-11 18:43:43

I think it's odd. Sorry.

Hopintobed Sat 17-Sep-11 18:45:05

Great. Thank you for your opinion! Not sure what the rest of the family will think though, might think it's a bit strange we couldn't think of any other name but we are really struggling. Daniel just seems to 'fit' and I have loved it forever. Probably because it's my brother's name though, not sure!

SazZaVoom Sat 17-Sep-11 18:45:57

My DD has my sisters name as her middle name. Could you do this, but call him by his middle name?

Hopintobed Sat 17-Sep-11 18:46:33

Ahh thank SandStorm , good to hear opinions from both sides. I fear a lot of people might thinks it's a bit strange too.

PorkChopSter Sat 17-Sep-11 18:46:34

Different surname? Is your brother a Daniel or a Dan now?

What about Samuel?

Tortoise Sat 17-Sep-11 18:48:41

My DS1 has my brothers name as a middle name. I think it would be odd to use it as a 1st name.

Hopintobed Sat 17-Sep-11 18:49:08

My cousin's little boy is Samuel so feel like that's been done this generation and don't want to 'nick' another name! We have a different surname to my brother now yes as I'm married. My brother is known as Dan now. Never refers to himself as Daniel and DS1 calls him 'Uncle Dan' not Daniel.

LottieJenkins Sat 17-Sep-11 18:49:10

I have a friend who's son has the same name as her brother! smile

lchodge Sat 17-Sep-11 18:49:33

If you really, really love a name I think you should just go with it regardless of other peoples opinions because if you don't, a few months/years down the line you'll probably regret it! Unless it would cause ridicule to the child obviously, lol smile

Hopintobed Sat 17-Sep-11 18:51:17

Does anyone comment about the name being the same LottieJenkins ? Or is it just accepted after a while? I am hoping when we introduce the baby as Daniel it'll just become that name rather than everyone thinking it's strange but I may be being a bit idealistic!

SheCutOffTheirTails Sat 17-Sep-11 18:54:28

I don't think it's odd at all.

Calling a small boy after his uncle is traditional, and not unusual in the least.

I'm sure your brother would feel honoured.

Daniel is a lovely name.

SheCutOffTheirTails Sat 17-Sep-11 18:56:53

People will comment, for sure. They'll say "you called him after your brother, how lovely!"

shesparkles Sat 17-Sep-11 18:58:19

I can't see it as anything other than it becoming a "family name" and I bet your brother would be chuffed to share his name with his nephew

Hopintobed Sat 17-Sep-11 19:00:53

Yeah you're right, my brother would be very chuffed!

whostolemyname Sat 17-Sep-11 19:05:06

I think its nice actually, not wierd at all, go for it!

jandymaccomesback Sat 17-Sep-11 19:07:45

A member of our extended family has done just that and funnily enough the name is Daniel.

ThatllDoPig Sat 17-Sep-11 19:11:18

Another one here who thinks its nice and also not weird. It can be normal to have family names that crop up again and again. (There are three Peters in my family), with people named after other people etc. check with the bro that he doesn't mind, but he will probably be chuffed. then go for it! Great names btw, I have a Joseph, and Daniel was on our list for ds2.

wigglesrock Sat 17-Sep-11 19:38:04

Happens all the time here, my bil is called after his own father. My dds middle names are after grannys etc. Had I actually liked my sisters name I would have used it. We have quite a few Josephs in our family and had I had a son it was definitely on our shortlist, Daniel was my husbands choice grin.

Hopintobed Sat 17-Sep-11 19:51:51

thank you all. It's definitely the only name (other than Joseph!) that I absolutely love and I always have done. Nice to hear not everyone thinks it's strange. I dare say there'll be a few hmm faces at first but surely they'll get used to it when the baby is actually here. I have already discussed it with my brother as I have loved the name for so long I considered it for DS1 and he said he was fine with it and thought it was kind of a nice thing to do although did say 'speaking as a Daniel, the name's not that great' lol but I suppose not many people love their own names.

helendigestives Sat 17-Sep-11 19:58:22

I'd love to name a girl after my sister. smile

MelinaM Sat 17-Sep-11 20:08:27

What on earth is odd about it? It's no different to a child being named after a person's parent or grandparent etc...hmm

Daniel is lovelysmile

Maryz Sat 17-Sep-11 20:30:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hopintobed Sat 17-Sep-11 21:05:29

So more people think it's fine than think it's odd which is reassuring! Think Daniel goes nicely with DS1's name too which is good.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: