Talk

Advanced search

If you have a William

(24 Posts)
GetOffOfMyCloud Fri 16-Sep-11 13:36:39

Do you still call his willy a willy, and if not what do you call it?

We're thinking of William for DC1 due in 4 weeks but I've always said willy and so this issue is bothering me far more than it probably should!!

sonniebonnie Fri 16-Sep-11 13:38:59

I think most little boys do still call their willies Willy. If not at home, then certainly at school.

Hedwig3 Fri 16-Sep-11 13:46:39

Firstly, thank you for brightening my day grin

I don't have a William but my son calls his a winkle which he copied from a friend.

William is a good strong name, fine choice.

And thanks again grin

Dangly carrot in the cheese household.

All the williams i know call themselves Bill for some reason. confused

evamummy Fri 16-Sep-11 13:49:26

I don't have a William but I think you'll find that most families probably do call them willies. Personally that is what puts me off the name William, which is itself a nice solid name, but I like neither Will (Will, will you..) nor Willy, I'm afraid.

evamummy Fri 16-Sep-11 13:49:51

Dangly Carrot grin

GetOffOfMyCloud Fri 16-Sep-11 14:21:35

hmm but won't "dangly carrot" get seriously confusing at dinner time???!!! confused

We both really like the name and it has a family connection as well which makes it an even stronger choice for us. It's just, well, a friend with boys says things like "Bert will you put your willy away, we don't want to see it at the dinner table" and I don't think "Will, will you put your willy away" sounds right somehow!!

All joking aside, I'm really struggling with this!

Maybe it will be a girl and we won't have to worry about it! grin

Iggly Fri 16-Sep-11 14:27:15

Yes and yes!

Kaekae Fri 16-Sep-11 19:57:39

I wouldn't call him Willy anyway hate it, reminds me of the book Willy the Wimp. I would call him Will.

MrsRobertDuvall Fri 16-Sep-11 19:59:28

A fine name wink
never been a problem willy - wise for us.

FourEyesGood Fri 16-Sep-11 20:52:34

My William (3) is a Billy, but he knows his name is actually William. And yes, we call his willy his willy. "Don't forget to wash your willy, Billy!" etc.

nodrog Fri 16-Sep-11 20:59:49

DD is 16, if she had been a boy dp was adamant she would be called William with Billy as a nickname.
I have always liked William as a name but would of shortened it to Liam or Will, which in if you think about it now would of dated 'him'.
(Dp is rather bossy and more than likely would of got his way.)
I love William for the fact that for one name it has so many nicknames. smile

morethemerrier Sat 17-Sep-11 20:34:35

Got a William,known as Will, and we have always called them Winkies! (got older DS)

Hi

We have a William and he is known mainly as 'Will Bill'.

Not sure how but we call his willy 'what not'. Even he says it, I can't remember how this came about lol but it's the norm in our house now.

Tweetinat Sat 17-Sep-11 21:13:18

We have a William and call it his 'willy'. But then we call him William - no nick names or shortened names (although he's not at school yet)...

LadyGrace Sat 17-Sep-11 21:48:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsJohnDeere Sat 17-Sep-11 21:58:44

Yes, and yes.

But he is never called 'willie' , just Will or William depending on how the mood takes us (or if he is in trouble).

StealthPolarBear Sat 17-Sep-11 22:01:23

<lurking> to figure out if I missed GOML being pregnant...

GetOffOfMyCloud Mon 19-Sep-11 13:29:26

Hi Stealth, yes, 36 ish weeks and stuck on names!!

Don't know what it is yet but I think we've got a short list for each now.

GetOffOfMyCloud Mon 19-Sep-11 13:29:41

Thanks for your advice all by the way.

BuntyPenfold Mon 19-Sep-11 13:34:50

My William changed his name in Reception year because he was called Willy at school.
So, don't rely on the little darlings not to tease...

hugebluebump Mon 19-Sep-11 17:51:26

Most little boys do call their willies Willy. And they don't need a lot of imagination to call a Will or William Willy, I'm afraid.

GetOffOfMyCloud Tue 20-Sep-11 12:19:15

LadyGrace, sorry only just seen your message (must learn to read properly and not scan!), no not the same person.

Now I understand Stealth, I though GOML was a mistype - sorry to have confused everyone!!

I wouldn't call him Willy - I think that would just be too cruel, he would be William or Will.

We do like the name so much for many reasons, I think we might go for it (if it is a boy!) but have a middle name we really like as well just in case he's not confident enough to laugh off silly jokes. Hubby and I are both confident and outgoing so I hope he'll inherit and learn that from us.

Now to choose a suitable middle name just in case!! grin

Catsycat Tue 20-Sep-11 13:06:22

We have 2 DDs, and TBH left to ourselves would have called a willy a willy. However, nursery got in first with "winkie" (FGS!) and it stuck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now