Talk

Advanced search

Would you put Freddie

(10 Posts)
nonsenses Thu 15-Sep-11 23:10:43

Under the same umbrella as Alfie, Archie and Charlie?

MmeLindor. Thu 15-Sep-11 23:12:54

Not quite sure what you are asking, but I would always give the child the "proper" name, ie Frederick or at least Fred so that he has the option to use a grown-up name later in life.

MelinaM Fri 16-Sep-11 00:08:52

I suppose it would fall into that category. I love Freddie, but I agree with using Frederick as a full name

mopsyflopsy Fri 16-Sep-11 08:43:44

Yes, Alfie, Archie, Freddie all have a trendy 'cutey' feel. I think they will date. I think Frederick is a good solid name.

BikeRunSki Fri 16-Sep-11 08:53:00

I like Freddie better than Alfie, Archie etc, but would also use Frederick on BC (and would have done if bump was going to be a boy).

I think Frederick is a much nicer full name than Alfred or Archibald (F was also DH's granddad).

pinkgirlythoughts Fri 16-Sep-11 09:06:04

I would, but I think it's less common than the other names you mention (although getting more so).

sonniebonnie Fri 16-Sep-11 12:21:24

I probably would. There has been a huge trend towards 'cute' boys names over the past 2-3 years, with lots of Alfies, Charlies, Archies, Tobies, Freddies and Albies around.

I think people may soon get tired of this trend and start to look for more solid names. I like Frederick, although it is quite a long name to use regularly. How about Fergus, Finton or Phillip as standalone names that don't shortening?

lurkinginthebackground Fri 16-Sep-11 20:54:05

Yes I would.

CurwySwide Sun 18-Sep-11 09:17:52

I would, yes

EdithWeston Sun 18-Sep-11 09:32:16

If it was raining, and they would all fit!

I would always use the full length versions, and shorten to nn. Charles is a perennial name, and there are lays quite a lot around. Alfie was pretty unusual until about 6 or 7 years ago, Archie less frequent, but always a few around. Frederick seems to me to be somewhere between Charles and Archibald IYSWIM.

I think it's a lovely name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now