Talk

Advanced search

Mischa ?

(46 Posts)
lchodge Thu 15-Sep-11 20:34:53

Any opinions on the name Mischa for a girl???

meditrina Thu 15-Sep-11 20:37:01

It's the short form of Mikhail.

I don't like boy's names on girls, so not for me.

lchodge Thu 15-Sep-11 20:45:37

Also derived from Melissa in Greek and Michael, Hebrew. However it is mostly used as a girls name. Think it would be a very odd choice for a boy very feminine!

posey Thu 15-Sep-11 20:53:04

I know 2. Both male. One an adult, German, short for Mikhail.
The other a boy, with a Russian parent.
So I find it hard to think of as a female name I'm afraid.

BedHog Thu 15-Sep-11 20:59:32

I like it, and I've never heard of it being used for a boy. I prefer the Mischa spelling to the more traditional Mica, as it makes the pronounciation more obvious.

brodanbell Thu 15-Sep-11 21:02:23

How are you pronouncing it? Mee-sha (like Mischa Barton) or Mish-ka? Like both actually. I knew a Mica once, and even though her name is spelt the same as Mica Paris, soooooo many people were stumped by it. She would get called Mike-ah or Meek-ca until corrected.

lchodge Thu 15-Sep-11 21:05:22

I think the spelling Mica is more masculine whereas Mischa screams femininity to me! I knew it was derived from a boys name but only ever known it as a girls name. Maybe depends on region?

lchodge Thu 15-Sep-11 21:07:59

Mee-sha. To look at I think I would pronounce Mica 'my-ca' which I think of as a strong boys name.

ShowOfHands Thu 15-Sep-11 21:08:04

Boys name. See also Sacha. Might be used for girls but will always seem strange to me.

lchodge Thu 15-Sep-11 21:10:33

That's so strange because to me Sacha is definitely a girls name, without a.doubt too feminine for a boy, lol

ShowOfHands Thu 15-Sep-11 21:25:51

It's like calling a girl Trevor. Sacha is a boys name but people use it for girls nowadays because it 'sounds feminine'. Sacha Distel? Sacha Baron Cohen? Def. boys.

rachel234 Thu 15-Sep-11 21:43:35

Sasha is traditionally a boys' name, short for Alexander. Sacha is the French version, Sascha the German.

In fact, in Germany Sascha is only allowed to be used for boys.

I know a German Michael whose nickname is Micha, in Hessen pronounced Mischa grin.

Milsean Thu 15-Sep-11 21:48:54

Mischa is definitely a boys name, always has been. Just because one actress has a boys name doesn't make a girls name!

mopsyflopsy Thu 15-Sep-11 21:54:58

Mischa is definitely a BOY's name. It's a diminuitive of the name Michail, the Russian version of Michael.

And Sasha is the diminutive of Alexander, also traditionally Russian. But used a lot in Germany too.

mopsyflopsy Thu 15-Sep-11 21:57:24

And Mischa Barton knows that her name is actually a boys name smile

comedaygoday Thu 15-Sep-11 21:58:01

It's a boy's name. It'd be like calling a girl Mick.

sonniebonnie Fri 16-Sep-11 12:26:45

How about Michaela for a girl? You could then shorten to whatever you'd like. But I agree - Misha is a nickname for Michail in Russian, like Sasha is for Alexander.

minipie Fri 16-Sep-11 12:37:56

Boy's name, sorry. If you call a girl Mischa it will seem like you didn't know it was a boy's name.

How about Venetia - Nisha for short
or Francesca - Cheska for short.
or Letitia - Tisha for short

these have a similar "feel" to Mischa. (there are probably other similar options too)

lchodge Fri 16-Sep-11 12:56:27

I don't live in Germany or Russia and I know that where I do live if you called your baby boy Sacha, you would definitely get some odd looks, whereas I know 3 girls with the name.
As for the name Mischa it'd be nothing like calling a girl Mick or Trevor (actually laughed out loud at this) because it's a completely uncommon name in this country. It's not, nor has it ever been in the top 500 for either sex. I have asked several friends and colleagues what they thought of the name and whilst some didn't like it and some thought it was pretty, not 1 said 'that's a boys name you can't use that'.
I'm not that keen on it anyway it was my partners suggestion.

sonniebonnie Fri 16-Sep-11 13:03:53

But do bear in mind that you daughter may travel, live or work outside of the UK. Her life would be easier if she doesn't have a name that is perceived as boys' name.

Stoirin Fri 16-Sep-11 13:23:02

Presumably though most of us answering you here don't live in Russia or Germany, and we all know its a boys name. Everyone knows its a boys name.

PS if you are expecting people to tell you what they really think about your name choices in real life, you're crazy!

cat64 Fri 16-Sep-11 13:26:47

Message withdrawn

cat64 Fri 16-Sep-11 13:27:27

Message withdrawn

tiddleypompom Fri 16-Sep-11 13:31:12

I'd be thinking of the actress if I met a female Mischa I'm afraid (this is not a good thing). My, we are a grumpy lot today - bad luck this time OP, but if you don't really like it anyway and it wasn't your idea, we are at least not offending you.
p.s. the point of getting a MN opinion is to widen the net of opinions, is it not? You don't have to listen to them, but better to be forearmed for quizzical looks once your DD is born!

lchodge Fri 16-Sep-11 13:40:55

I don't think girls with boys names have a harder life than those with girls names. I know a female Jamie and Alex who both had 'normal' childhhoods and are very comfortable in their adult lives. Bit of a silly suggestion.
While I may be a bit crazy lol, the people I know and ask for opinions, if anything, are TOO forthcoming with their thoughts. Also, just because the majority of responses on here say it's a boys name does not mean 'everyone' says that. Mumsnet users don't represent everyone.
I suspect opinions on here and in life are based on class and region which is why there's such a contrast in responses for most threads.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now