Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Noam?

(21 Posts)
mistressploppy Thu 15-Sep-11 12:23:08

I can't, can I? Everyone will just think he's called Gnome.

No.

Can I? Any one heard of one other than Chomsky?

bridgingtheabyss Thu 15-Sep-11 12:27:31

Ooh, love Noam. It's a common name in Israel, and has a lovely meaning - 'sweet friendship'.

telsa Thu 15-Sep-11 12:41:38

I know a female artist called Noam. You can say it more like No-am. It's good.

mistressploppy Thu 15-Sep-11 12:42:31

Are you in Israel, bridging? DS1 has a Hebrew name and I'd like them to go together. What else is popular there?

My Israeli mates are Daniel, Ari, Raoul, Meyer - and I don't really fancy any of those

brodanbell Thu 15-Sep-11 12:56:24

Before I even opened the thread, my first reaction was Gnome....eh? She's gonna call her baby GNOME? No.

I'm sure it's fine if you live in Israel.

rachel234 Thu 15-Sep-11 13:35:56

I pronounce No-am very differently to gnome personally. I like it. Lovely meaning.

Meteorite Thu 15-Sep-11 14:22:22

Garden gnome, and Chomsky.

Meteorite Thu 15-Sep-11 14:22:56

How about Noah?

ButHeNeverDid Thu 15-Sep-11 14:30:39

Too much like Chomsky. So no, no, no from me.

If you are looking for something that works in Israel. How about Elai? Or Guy which works in both countries.

Rhubarbgarden Thu 15-Sep-11 18:10:53

Gnome. If he's short, god help him.

ednurse Thu 15-Sep-11 18:15:14

This was the name of the bartender where we went for Happy Hour every day in Vegas. It suited him but not sure about the name for anyone else really.

mistressploppy Thu 15-Sep-11 18:47:42

grin at Rhubarb!!!

I am nearly 6ft and DH is 6ft 2, but you're right - you couldn't take the chance!

I like Noah but loads of people round here have dc called that a friend has snaffled it.

Catsycat Thu 15-Sep-11 19:19:20

Quite a nice name really (much better than some of the others you see on here grin.

But I did immediately think Chomsky, yes. And here's hoping he won't take up fishing as a hobby.

LadyMondegreen Thu 15-Sep-11 20:22:06

First thought - Chomsky. Good association.

Second thought - wee fella in yer garden with a red hat, rosy cheeks and a fishing line. Not such a good association.

It's cool. Then you think 'hang about' and it loses the cool. Don't do it!

mogandthecat Thu 15-Sep-11 21:18:19

I think it is lovely, and would say No - am. As long as you enunciate clearly people should not say gnome! However, I would avoid if there is a risk he may be short - but does not sound like that is the case!

thisisyesterday Thu 15-Sep-11 21:20:47

when I suggested this (when naming DS3) people were SOOOOOOOO rude and negative about it on here.

things have changed a lot over the last couple of years I see lol

it's a great name IMO! (fyi chomsky does pron it nome afaik)...

MordechaiVanunu Thu 15-Sep-11 21:22:10

I'd think Chomsky, and that's a good thing.

mistressploppy Thu 15-Sep-11 21:25:19

Loving your name, Mordechai, btw

ReadRideABikeSwim Thu 15-Sep-11 21:26:28

love it - always on my short lists

MordechaiVanunu Thu 15-Sep-11 21:30:11

Why thank you. Have you considered Mordechai?

It is a great name.

goodasgold Thu 15-Sep-11 21:46:41

What ever name you give your son he will make it his own so people will not associate old communists etc, any body that knows your son will associate the name with him and love it, because they love your son. Trust your son to make the name that you give him beautiful and cool, because that is what he will be.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: