Talk

Advanced search

girls names - going round and round in circles

(23 Posts)
newmumma Wed 14-Sep-11 20:39:45

So stuck - only 3 weeks to go. We keep coming back to two names but I have a reason not to be sure about both of them. DH useless, knows what he doesn't like but doesn't come up with any names other than those of my best friends from school (claire, laura, charlotte, emma etc etc). So we keep coming back to Olivia and Emilia.

Olivia I have always loved, and whenever I see the name on someone I love it more. BUT, its v popular now (however I do think not chosing a name you love because its popular is as sad as choosing a name because it IS popular) - my main issue is nn Livy which I'm not keen on.

Emilia - again I have always loved this name and love nn Millie - but we have a hard to spell surname and I worry that she will always have to spell it (i.e. as its not Amelia) and that will become REALLY annoying.

These are the only two names we can agree on that we REALLY like. I LOVE Alice but the who the f**k song has ruined that for DH. Other name we haven't totally discounted are:

Lauren
India (hubby worried its too posh)
Sophie (love this name but girl from work has probably ruined it for me)
Ayla
Elodie
Eloise (both LOVE but my best friend's daughter is Eloise)

Your wise thoughts would be gratefully received - we're just going round and round in circles now.

BTW we have DS who is 20 months and his name is George so would like something that goes with it. And we have a very long double-barrelled surname so nothing too long either :-(

Thanks

Kayano Wed 14-Sep-11 20:43:57

Nn Livy is better than Olive IMO

Go with your love!!

Iactuallylikeabigmac Wed 14-Sep-11 20:47:04

India. Without a doubt.

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Wed 14-Sep-11 20:49:47

How about Sophia if you like Sophie? What about Amelia - are you just not as keen as Emilia?

My fav is Elodie

Nevercan Wed 14-Sep-11 20:55:15

I'm liking Lauren or Sophie. I too had an awkward surname to spell so wanted simple first names. I ended up choosing Megan and Sally

MelinaM Wed 14-Sep-11 20:59:14

I Love Emilia, but I fear you would be constantly correcting people too, oh bugger it, if you love it go with it!

Olivia is also a lovely name, but is the number 1 girls name at the mo, absolutely love Olivesmile

All of which go very well with the lovely Georgesmile

birdofthenorth Wed 14-Sep-11 21:23:31

I only know one Olivia actually, and many more Millie/ Amelia/ Emilia/ Amelie's.

I guess the problem with avoiding a name because it tops the charts is that it's almost inevitable that if you don't go for it one of your best friends/ family eventually will

Gluttondressedaslamb Wed 14-Sep-11 21:29:28

I`ve always loved the name Olivia too, and would still choose it despite its being so popular. How about Vivi as a nn?

Offspring Thu 15-Sep-11 01:29:20

I prefer Olivia to Emilia and think that if you love it you should still go with it. I don't mind Liv or Livy as a nn but prefer the full version.

I LOVE Eloise also. Was our number one choice for a girl but this bump is a boy. Second on our list was Louisa, a bit of a cross between Olivia and Eloise? (might be stretching it there smile).

weneedabiggerboat Thu 15-Sep-11 09:54:46

I have an Olivia, she's 3 and I know its wild popular but she has just started nursery school and she's the only one, her name is sometimes shortened to Liv but only occasionally.

cece Thu 15-Sep-11 09:58:00

I know many Olivia's and not one of them has her name shortened to Livy?!

I prefer Emilia too. Like Emilia Fox the actress. Beautiful name.

ExitPursuedByaBear Thu 15-Sep-11 10:01:45

How about Grace - to go with George?

Olivia is very popular. My DD has a friend but her nickname is Lily confused.

Amelia or Emilia also very popular.

I love Eloise (or Heloise) but obviously not if your friend has one.

How about Helena?

newmumma Thu 15-Sep-11 10:34:13

gosh thanks so much, have actually been on another post noseying around, as you do, and found that shakespeare's pronounciation of Emilia is probably em-i-LEE-ah which I am thinking is actually quite lovely.... thoughts?

am also loving lilly as nn for olivia - and its actually one of my husband's favourite names (lilly that is) too... hmmmm.... thing is we are pretty much last of our friends to have kids, and no one has an Olivia that I know or even they know.... gosh its so hard isn't it!! I think naming DS was much easier.

I love Grace too, i think George and Grace is a fab combo but DH is a definite no on that.

I wish I could convince him of my grandmother's middle name - Alethea - I think its so pretty but he think it sounds like you have a lisp....

argh!

brodanbell Thu 15-Sep-11 13:16:24

You clearly love Olivia. Go with that -don't try and force yourself to love another name which will never live up to Olivia. Regarding nn's - you as the parent don't have to use one. Just call her Olivia. Sure her friends may use Liv, Livvy etc, but it's what you call her that matters. My Dad has NEVER EVER used the short version of my name which is what I go by daily and have done since I was probably about 8!

Olivia Grace
Olivia Eloise (I am sure your friend won't mind a mn)
Olivia Charlotte
Olivia Sophie
Olivia Madaleine

newmumma Thu 15-Sep-11 16:41:52

oooh, am liking Olivia Charlotte thank you!

Lonnie Thu 15-Sep-11 17:31:38

if you love Eloise but dont feel you can use it due to friend what about Eloisa?

mogandthecat Thu 15-Sep-11 21:11:40

Sounds like you like Olivia best so perhaps you should go with that if you don't mind the popularity. (Though have to say we attend a number of baby groups, and none of them contain an Olivia! Don't know where they are all hiding. Amelia on the other hand...)

For what it's worth though, I think Alethea is lovely and much more interesting - know one shortened to Thea which is beautiful and also nice to have a family connection.

weneedabiggerboat Thu 15-Sep-11 21:15:58

Meant to put in my post earlier, my dd is Olivia Sadie (Sarah) ....... .

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 16-Sep-11 07:44:03

sorry to put oar in but saw this by accident
Olivia double-barrelled surname is a mouthful.
<voice of mumble years experience>
fwiw i have never been called livvy
hth

pilates Fri 16-Sep-11 15:16:35

Olivia is lovely, how about Livia if you wanted something a little different?

Agree with husband Lily is lovely and sounds great with George.

newmumma Fri 16-Sep-11 20:09:44

Its weird, Olivia is meant to be most popular name but we don't know one friend or friend of friend who's daughter is called Olivia.... and that seems to be continued on here. Where are they all hiding indeed!

Is Olivia Voilet to "v"y?

lurkinginthebackground Fri 16-Sep-11 20:52:13

I would go with Olivia.

carpwidow Fri 16-Sep-11 20:55:05

I teach an Elise - very pretty name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now