Talk

Advanced search

Noah, Jude, Toby or Brodie

(42 Posts)
birdofthenorth Wed 14-Sep-11 11:17:52

These are my boys favourites at the mo. Any thoughts? Do your worst!

faverolles Wed 14-Sep-11 11:20:31

Noah - gorgeous name.
Jude - nice, but I always think of it as a girls nn (Judith)
Toby - nice but loads around
Brodie - awful. (sorry!)

Smadarama Wed 14-Sep-11 11:31:28

I have a boy Jude - I think it's accepted as a boys name now - we did have a couple of comments 10 years ago when he was born but no one bats an eyelid now. It IS a boys name! Never had a day regretting giving him that name and he likes it too.

Noah is lovely.

Toby - there ARE a lot of them about

hugebluebump Wed 14-Sep-11 11:36:38

I like Brodie best. Noah sounds quite feminine (but then I know a female Noa) and Toby is very widely used already (will probably date more than the others).

insanityscatching Wed 14-Sep-11 11:44:54

I love Jude, Toby and Noah but think Brodie is awful (sorry)

Noah is the most popular of the three around here but you don't hear of many Tobys or Judes

LaTristesse Wed 14-Sep-11 11:49:06

Loads of little Noahs round our way at the moment, as well as Tobys, although I do still like both names. Jude is my fave from your list, and I too think Brodie is horrid, sorry!

comedaygoday Wed 14-Sep-11 12:23:58

Noah and Jude are both great names, I slightly prefer Jude. Toby is ok, but weaker and will.date more. Really don't like Brodie.

StrandedBear Wed 14-Sep-11 12:25:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

windatmytail Wed 14-Sep-11 12:33:57

I have a DS called Jude, no one has ever raised an eyebrow about it being a girls name; except his older brother who for some reason thought Jude Law is female!
Jude was the brother of Jesus in the Bible but also the title of a Thomas Hardy novel (Jude the Obscure) and of course the actor..

windatmytail Wed 14-Sep-11 12:35:03

Oh yes and the song, luckily we love it in our house cos it does get sung a LOT!

marge2 Wed 14-Sep-11 12:39:45

Noah - nice
Jude - Oh no - JUDAS!!
Toby - bit old fashioned?
Brodie - yuk!! Dogs name.

MelinaM Wed 14-Sep-11 12:44:33

Jude is the nicestsmile Toby is one of the 'popular cutesy' names that belongs to a dog, as is Noah. Brodie is okay but a tad surnamey perhaps?

cece Wed 14-Sep-11 12:48:16

All very popular except Brodie which is just awful. Sorry.

If I had to choose I would go for Toby.

Gluttondressedaslamb Wed 14-Sep-11 13:45:25

Brodie is terrible, and not keen on Toby either.
I like Jude, it doesn`t sound feminine to me as I immediately think of Hardy`s `Jude the Obscure` and, of course, Jude Law.
Noah is alright providing your surname isn`t Lott smile

homeagainhomeagain Wed 14-Sep-11 13:53:35

Felt I had to write as I posted Brodie on here as a potential boys name and was surprised that people felt so strongly at not liking it. Brodie is a lovely Scottish name and I have taught a couple of lovely boys with that name. If you like it - go for it.

PootlePosyPerkin Wed 14-Sep-11 13:53:40

Noah - lovely name.
Jude - lovely name, know 1 little Jude & he is a very sweet little boy smile.
Toby - nice name. I only know of 1 - not sure whereabouts in the country it's widely used/overly popular, certainly not here.
Brodie - chavtastic. It's one of those names that will age your child to within 5 years (i.e. like my name - as soon as you hear it you could guess fairly accurately how old I am grin).

Nospringflower Wed 14-Sep-11 13:54:47

I like Brodie - know a few but am in Scotland so not sure if it is more popular (liked) here. Or maybe not!

PootlePosyPerkin Wed 14-Sep-11 13:56:33

<disclaimer - my opinion of the name Brodie may not apply if you happen to be Scottish/live in Scotland. I meant more in England.>

blonderedhead Wed 14-Sep-11 14:28:04

Love all those names, Brodie is really different without sounding wacky. Interestingly reading the other comments I think they all have a ring of gender neutrality which in my opinion is a Good Thing. Do you remember the recent 'Toby for a girl?' thread? Slightly fixated with that idea. But I think they are all cool, intelligent sounding names for boys.

zipzap Wed 14-Sep-11 14:38:43

I'm biased as I have a Noah and a Toby! and I still love both the names.

Those two names are obviously the best grin Jude's Ok but don't really like Brodie.

I didn't know anybody with a Noah when we chose it; to the point that my mother was horrified by it, she just couldn't even conceive of it being a name that people used. Within a month she had come across 7 more little Noah's (golf pro had a baby, couple of friends had grandchildren, chatting to someone in the supermarket queue etc) all born after ours! By which time she was congratulating herself on having chosen the name ahead of everybody else hmm grin

It is one of the most popular names in his year - can't think of any other boys name that has 3 holders within his year.

Toby - have come across a couple of older ones but no more or less than any other names.

Bizarrely when we chose Toby when we next looked at the ONS lists of popular baby names at the end of the year Noah and Toby were next to each other at about 50th. When Noah was born his name was at about 75th in the list so it is definitely becoming more popular.

(There again I wanted Ptolomy just because it's a name I've always found interesting but dh wouldn't agree sad)

zipzap Wed 14-Sep-11 14:39:51

Forgot to say - apparently Noa is a girl's name in Welsh - I got sent some pink gifts from welsh relatives who had heard that I'd had a little Noa(h)!

Ebb Wed 14-Sep-11 14:41:47

Noah - really like
Jude - Ok
Toby - Used to ride a horse called Toby and knew a dog by the same name
Brodie - also a dogs name!

grin

Rhubarbgarden Wed 14-Sep-11 16:34:01

I love Jude. Toby is ok. I don't like the others.

Malcontentinthemiddle Wed 14-Sep-11 16:39:41

Jude.

There are going to be billions of Noahs in reception in 4 years, Brodie is a bit naff and Toby a bit doggy!

lieseylou Wed 14-Sep-11 16:57:34

Jude or Toby. Maybe Tobias and shorten it to Toby? Noah too common now and don't like Brodie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now