Talk

Advanced search

Classic 2 syllable Boys Names

(19 Posts)
hugebluebump Wed 14-Sep-11 10:15:29

We've got one more month to agree on a name for this bump, a boy. We have a short, one syllable surname so are looking for a 2 syllable boys name that isn't necessarily shortened (anything longer will probably). We're keen to avoid very popular (trendy) names but are looking for a classic, traditional name that works for all ages. DH is American, I'm English and we're likely to spend time in both countries.

Here's what we have so far:

Marcus
Quentin
Felix
Conrad
Phillip

Any comments are gratefully received. Thanks.

mayanna123 Wed 14-Sep-11 10:17:33

I like them all but would be least keen on Phillip (which would probably be shortened to Phil as well).

tummytickler Wed 14-Sep-11 10:26:09

Felix is out if you want to avoid popular/trendy as they are everywhere.
I love Phillip, and the nn Pip - very cute! Conrad is fab,Quentin is nice too, and Marcus is fine, but nothing special.
How about Peter, Albert, Robert, David - very classic and underused.

FlipFantasia Wed 14-Sep-11 10:41:00

How about Richard?

I also like Felix but agree it's quite trendy. Philip I'm least keen on (also all the Philips I know are shortened to Phil). I know of one Pip, but he's 6 and it's a NN that really only works on a little boy imo.

fairieswearboots Wed 14-Sep-11 10:45:40

I like Conrad best from your list. Dont dislike the others but as previously said Felix is becoming quite popular if that bothers you. My boys are Andrew and Michael, both names with obvious short forms, and no one calls them anything except the full name .
How about
Stephen
Henry
Toby
Owen
Caleb
Leon
Eric

Meteorite Wed 14-Sep-11 10:46:13

I like Felix and Philip smile

The others are a little too posh for me.

anewmotivatedme Wed 14-Sep-11 10:47:36

Oscar

hugebluebump Wed 14-Sep-11 10:54:41

Thanks for the replies so far. I only know of one little Felix so hadn't realised it had become quite popular, so that's helpful to know.

I also like the suggestions of Eric, Peter and Robert.

The problem is our surname is very short and starts with D, so some nicknames would sound very silly. That's why we're keen on a name that hopefully won't be shortened.

rachel234 Wed 14-Sep-11 11:45:16

I like them all but particularly Marcus and Quentin. Felix is quite popular and Conrad reminds me of Conrad Black. I also like Henry, Leon and Robert.

Meteorite Wed 14-Sep-11 11:58:06

David, Aaron, Jacob, Austin, Dylan, Francis, Edward, Isaac, Aidan, Adam, Daniel, Andrew, Jerome, Samuel, Edwin, Matthew, Henry, Noah, Jasper, Evan, Xander, Tristan, Richard, Thomas, Patrick, Jonah, Ethan, Michael, Liam, Nathan

Camerondiazepam Wed 14-Sep-11 13:33:37

Adam
Matthew

Gluttondressedaslamb Wed 14-Sep-11 13:53:17

Conrad is very nice, haven`t heard it for ages, I also like Marcus but expect it would be shortened to Marc.
I also like Magnus, Ethan, David, Lucas, Rufus and Fraser

poppydaisy Wed 14-Sep-11 14:59:29

All lovely and quite underused. I'm least keen on Felix (as a cat owner I can't shake off the cat food connection) and Philip as I don't like Phil.

I think the most 'timeless' include Conrad, Quentin, Peter, Patrick and Marus. I also like Magnus as suggested by Gluttondressedaslamb.

Rhubarbgarden Wed 14-Sep-11 16:28:26

Conrad is my favourite from your list, and I also like Adam and Magnus from the other suggestions.

mopsyflopsy Thu 15-Sep-11 09:55:47

I like all of your suggestions, particularly Felix and Quentin (slightly biased as we have one smile). How about these
Leon
Tristan
Stefan
Connor
Caspar

evamummy Thu 15-Sep-11 11:02:33

I'm least keen on Phillip and Conrad, the others are nice. Agree that Marcus will probably be Marc, so bear that in mind.

sonniebonnie Fri 16-Sep-11 12:24:59

How about Tristan, Peter or Arthur?

onlylivinggirl Fri 16-Sep-11 12:27:46

I like Felix and quentin - don't like the others

Thomas? Adam? Michael ?

bigkidsdidit Fri 16-Sep-11 12:28:52

I have an Albert, his nickname now is Bertie which is still 2 syllables. Agree Connor and Tristan are lovely and unlikely to be shortened

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now