Talk

Advanced search

I don't think dh and I are ever going to agree on a name.....

(21 Posts)
harassedandherbug Tue 13-Sep-11 11:49:35

We just seem to have polar opposite likes!

He likes Ronnie, I don't. He said yesterday it's cute for a baby, but also sounds like a geezer (this apparently is a good thing hmm). I think Dr. Ronnie sounds rubbish wink.

I love Lucas and Arlo...... he hates them.

The only one we both like (not love!) is Max, and I don't think we can use it as our surname rhymes with Wall. What do you think?

We've looked at lists and name generators, but nothing that we agree on.

We also have 4 other dc's between us and they all have classic names: ds1 for instance is James.

What are we going to do?! This is why we have to find out the sex, took us aaages to choose dd's name.

Bue Tue 13-Sep-11 12:16:18

Sorry you're having trouble. I actually think differing opinions can be one of the most fun things about naming a baby, but not when there's no overlap in your taste!

What's wrong with Max Wall/Ball/Fall? It's a little short, but I don't see anything inherently wrong with it - I find it quite pleasing actually.

Please don't cave on Ronnie! It's ghastly.

SurprisEs Tue 13-Sep-11 12:19:18

Good old papers on a bag and let someone pull out the name.

Meteorite Tue 13-Sep-11 12:24:45

Isaac, Samuel, Nicholas, Jacob/Jake, Luke, Joel, Oliver, Daniel?

harassedandherbug Tue 13-Sep-11 12:30:31

Doesn't Max Hall make you think of that dodgy old comedian???

SurprisEs it might come down to that! For dd we got down to two names and I let him choose his favourite if I could choose mine for mn. Except the mn was then "slightly" changed from Sophie to Sophia as he preferred Sophia.

We've done all of those Meteorite....he's so fussy.

We had Luca for a boy last time, and he doesn't like that now either.

I agree Ronnie is dire!! And who wants to name their son to grow up to be a "geezer"?? We're not even like that....

EightiesChick Tue 13-Sep-11 12:30:54

Not getting the problem with Max rhymeswithWall?

How long till the baby is due? When are you going to find out the sex?

Classic is always good. I like Meteorite's list. Also how about Michael (as in Corleone, surely you can't get more 'geezer' than that? wink)

MelinaM Tue 13-Sep-11 12:31:03

Max is lovely, how about a longer version of it so that it flows with your surname?

Maxence
Maxfield
Maxim
Maxime
Maximilian
Maximo
Maximus
Maxley
Maxson
Maxton
Maxwell

Quenelle Tue 13-Sep-11 12:31:52

Max Wall

Ronnie's ok. He could call himself Dr Ron.

harassedandherbug Tue 13-Sep-11 12:39:47

Baby is due at Christmas so we've got a while. It's the lack of middle ground that worries me. You can guarantee that if I remotely like a name, he won't. I got tad hormonal the other day and accused of saying no because he just wants Ronnie, and he swears he's not!

He's def a boy.

Thanks Quenelle, he's worse than I remember!! I can remember my Dad taking the p**s out of me in the 80's when leggings were in, saying I looked like Max Wall am obviously scarred for life.

Quenelle Tue 13-Sep-11 12:40:51

We all looked like Max Wall in the 80s grin

Crumbletopping Tue 13-Sep-11 12:45:16

Luke? Maxim?

harassedandherbug Tue 13-Sep-11 12:55:39

I know he doesn't like Luke.... will try the longer versions of Max later, although I suspect that'll be a no too <sigh>

I just can not get my head round Ronnie! I know a Ron (old man), and his teenage grandson who's named after him, and they're both lovely. But Ronnie to me is geezer/gangster/Kray! Or a girl... wink

Ihavewelliesbutitssunny Tue 13-Sep-11 13:06:44

Ronnie reminds of Ronnie Briggs (Biggs?) the train robber as well as the Kray twin. I think it would perhaps just about be acceptable if it was short for Ronald and maybe to use Ron too, it worked for Ron Weasley! Generally not keen on it though and not that keen on Lucas or Arlo either but quite like Max esp with a longer version. Other names that might suit

Robert- might go with your other more classic DC names and could be shorterned to Rob/Robbie as a compromise for Ronnie

Francis nn Frank/Frankie- Still a bit gangster but mainstream imo

William nn Billy- Slightly gangster/old fashioned but still classic

Fergus- Vaguely similar to Arlo/Lucas/Max

Zac-As above

Leon- As above

George- Slightly old fashioned like Ronnie but more mainstream

Fred/Freddy/Frederick- As above

redexpat Tue 13-Sep-11 13:10:36

Baby due at Christmas? Christmas names! Joseph, Christopher, Nicholas, Caspar, Christian, Emmanuel, Gabriel, Noel, Malachai, Michael, but I'd steer clear of Rudolf!

Quenelle Tue 13-Sep-11 13:11:46

Ronathon?

nickelbabe Tue 13-Sep-11 13:16:44

i agree with the idea of christmas names. Nicholas, Christian, Michael and Noel are my favourites out of redexpat's list.

If you want it to match your DS1 (James), then Michael is good, as is Peter, John (or Jonathan), Simon? Francis, Thomas etc

Meteorite Tue 13-Sep-11 13:25:36

Johnny, Danny, Barney, Laurie, Tony, Sonny (short for Orson) - all much nicer than Ronnie.

If Ronnie was a nickname, I wouldn't go for Ronald, but Aaron would be a nice full name!

harassedandherbug Tue 13-Sep-11 13:46:51

Thank you for your suggestions, many of which I hadn't thought of! Will mention them later.

I don't mind if it doesn't match with James as he's my ds, not dh's. We're a "blended" family (awful word!). I have James and Ryan (both grown up and left home), he has a Chloe, and we have a Libby. Plus we have lots of nieces/nephews and extended family so sometimes it feel like that limits us even more iykwim. Arrrghh..... good job we have ages still.

mathanxiety Tue 13-Sep-11 16:17:04

If you both like (to some extent) Max, how about Alex or Alexander? Sounds nice with Chloe and Libby, and also James and Ryan.

Or another X name, Xavier?

Or
Callum
Ethan
Nathan
Owen

LaLaLaLayla Tue 13-Sep-11 16:18:57

Actually, I have to say I prefer Ronnie. Lucas and Arlo are a bit 10 years ago. And Max is very, very popular. At least Ronnie is a bit different. I think it's cool.

mathanxiety Tue 13-Sep-11 16:52:18

I have to say I like Ronnie/Ronald too. I also like Arnold, and Roald and Romuald.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now