Talk

Advanced search

Please help me choose: Imogen or Martha?

(39 Posts)
silver28 Tue 13-Sep-11 03:06:18

I'm due DC2 in December and haven't really thought about names since finding out I was pregnant. I'm a bit stuck re boys names but have narrowed it down to two girls names we like and thought I'd see what others thought.

I know the names are popular which would put done people off, but I dint know of any round here so it's bot going to be overly common.

(DS is called George and our surname is two syllables starting with a k.)

The names are

Imogen Grace
Imogen martha
Martha grace

SiL is called grace and she's fab so it'd be nice to use grace for that reason, however we're not that bothered about 'honouring' her, iykwim.

Thanks

louby86 Tue 13-Sep-11 05:39:18

Imogen Grace is lovely smile

silver28 Tue 13-Sep-11 06:30:03

Thanks louby.

Just read back my OP and spotted all the typos, sorry! blush

Cereal Tue 13-Sep-11 07:33:15

Imogen Grace... or Grace Imogen

silver28 Tue 13-Sep-11 07:37:21

Thanks. Can't use grace as first name as it's SiL's name.

Imogen grace is a name I've liked throughout pregnancy and I think it goes well with George. Do like Martha too though......

Catsu Tue 13-Sep-11 08:04:26

I like both imogen and martha but think imogen pips the post for best first name.
Imogen grace is lovely

LetThereBeRock Tue 13-Sep-11 08:54:50

Definitely Imogen Grace. I don't like Martha at all,but Imogen is beautiful.

Ifancyashandy Tue 13-Sep-11 09:02:32

Martha all the time!

It's lovely. Really don't like Imogen and think it's too popular.

Martha is great for a little girl but is also the name of a strong woman.

And Imogen gets shortened to Immy....

CurwySwide Tue 13-Sep-11 09:13:48

Ooh I love both of them so find it hard to choose. The only thing that sways me slightly towards Martha is the Imogen Thomas connection, but that is surely fleeting so doesn't really matter. Hmm - a difficult one - don't think you can go wrong really!

RedRubyBlue Tue 13-Sep-11 09:15:43

Imogen Grace is beautiful.

Sinkingfeeling Tue 13-Sep-11 09:16:15

I have a Martha, and have always loved the name, though chose it for its family connections. My Martha is nearly 9 and we've only come across one other child called Martha in that time.

LydiaWickham Tue 13-Sep-11 09:17:54

Martha is very pretty, works well with Grace.

Why not wait and see which she looks like?

mumtoted Tue 13-Sep-11 09:20:09

I like Imogen, can't stand Martha.

comedaygoday Tue 13-Sep-11 10:16:56

To be honest, I prefer Martha. I think it will work better for a woman as well as a girl, however they are both good names, so as Lydia suggests why not see what your DD looks like when she is born.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Tue 13-Sep-11 11:19:13

I like both and have no idea who Imogen Thomas is, so that doesn't sway me either way.
DD was a friend called Martha, her mum pronounces it Mar-fa. DD wrote her a birthday card with an F rather than TH.

Ihavewelliesbutitssunny Tue 13-Sep-11 11:42:18

Slightly prefer Martha Grace but like Imogen Grace too.

boodleboot Tue 13-Sep-11 11:52:52

I love imogen. Would use ginny for nn. Imogen grace is gorge. X

MangoMonster Tue 13-Sep-11 11:55:51

Imogen grace is lovely.

Shanghaidiva Tue 13-Sep-11 11:57:30

Imogen is one of my favourites - Imogen Grace - so lovely!

silver28 Tue 13-Sep-11 12:26:25

Thanks for all the lovely comments. I think it'll be a case of waiting to see what she looks like as I'm no closer to deciding, although I Imogen Grace is what I've had in mind for months now so that is prob the front runner.

That is if she's a girl. If it's a boy God knows what we'll do, as I only like two boys names and used them both for DS!

Oh just thought of something, my niece is called Isabelle. Dies anyone think Imogen is too similar? I might ask my sister if she'd mind, but if I do ask her she's unlikely to say even if she does mind, so thought I'd get more honest opinions on here.

Meteorite Tue 13-Sep-11 12:31:42

Imogen is not too similar to Isabelle IMO smile

Boys names... how about James, Thomas, Miles, Alexander, Samuel, Edward, Oliver, Daniel, Aaron, Lawrence, Henry, Nicholas, Peter, Frederick, Sebastian, Max, Luke, Isaac, Richard, William?

MangoMonster Tue 13-Sep-11 12:38:44

They are not similar smile

Ihavewelliesbutitssunny Tue 13-Sep-11 13:09:55

IMO Isabelle and Imogen would be too similar if they were sisters but not as cousins

silver28 Tue 13-Sep-11 13:10:34

Thanks for the reassurance, and the boys name suggestions. My favourite of those is Isaac but it's been used by a close family member. I also quite like Peter but am not sure if it's a bit too boring. I vaguely like Benjamin. Nothing really grabs me though. I had thought if Rory and DH likes that too, but not sure if should use it if no Celtic connections. Will have to put more thought into boys names over the next few weeks I think.

silver28 Tue 13-Sep-11 13:12:15

I once knew two sisters called Imogen and Isobel so obv dine people think it's ok, but i wasn't sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now