Talk

Advanced search

Sophie

(11 Posts)
Katiekatiekatekate Mon 12-Sep-11 13:44:41

I've liked it since I was at school but will my daughter (who I have yet to conceive btw) sound like she's been named by a 13year old?

Stupid question I know, but I need the perspective of someone who didn't choose their children's names 20 years ago.

tammytoby Mon 12-Sep-11 13:45:43

Sophie has been in the top 10 or so for a number of years, so you wouldn't be the only one to name your dd Sophie smile.

mogandthecat Mon 12-Sep-11 16:37:29

The only thing to be aware of about Sophie is it is extremely popular, top 10 in England and Wales and has been number 1 name in Scotland for several years. If that does not bother you, I think it is a very pretty name, and suits all ages.

3isamagicnumber Mon 12-Sep-11 16:52:05

Really like the name Sophie too but as mentioned above, it is VERY popular - I think voted no 1 name last year (?) . Def in the top 3 anyway.
So that has put me off...
Is a lovely name though!

MelinaM Mon 12-Sep-11 17:40:12

Nice enough, but prefer Sophia/Sofiasmile

Cereal Mon 12-Sep-11 17:56:36

Perfectly good name, nothing wrong with it.

MrsWobble Mon 12-Sep-11 18:02:35

i really liked the name Sophie 17 years ago when dd1 was born but didn't use it on the basis that it was too popular. instead i gave dd1 a name that i knew noone with. Within 3 months had been introduced to 3 other babies with the same name. So 2 years later i called dd2 sophie. She has never been in a class with another sophie so i would ignore popularity concerns and choose the name you want.

giyadas Mon 12-Sep-11 18:05:38

I think it's a lovely name. I'm surprised it's in the top 10, I don't know any Sophies and dd has never had one in her class.

FIFIBEBE Mon 12-Sep-11 18:09:16

Think it is lovely and don't know any under 11. However Sophie the giraffe is very popular now and I always think of that whenever I hear it.

tammytoby Mon 12-Sep-11 21:03:40

" She has never been in a class with another sophie so i would ignore popularity concerns and choose the name you want"

But just because YOUR Sophie has never had to share her name with another in class doesn't mean other Sophie's don't. There are two Sophies in my dd's class for example (with the same surname initial too).

fruitshootsandheaves Mon 12-Sep-11 21:08:13

I have a Sophie
She has just told me that there are about 4 other Sophies in her year. She goes to a large school of about 1300 pupils so the name is quite popular but not so much that that the numbers get confusing. (dd is 14)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now