Talk

Advanced search

Eloise or Genevieve?

(30 Posts)
ChineapplePunk Mon 12-Sep-11 11:02:56

Pregnant with my first. No idea of the sex, however, when it comes to girls names I've always had the name Genevieve fixed in my head. I think it's beautiful. My other half isn't so keen, but he loves the name Eloise. I must admit I think that is also a very beautiful name, but I'm not sure how common it is at the moment?

Cereal Mon 12-Sep-11 11:29:00

Eloise

tudorrose Mon 12-Sep-11 11:35:42

I like them both. Genevieve is lovely. Eloise is very popular around here (cheltenham) at the moment, but it is a nice name though.

strandednomore Mon 12-Sep-11 11:38:28

I also know a baby Genevieve in Cheltenham - you're not in Cheltenham too are you OP? smile Both lovely names, very regal. I would probably come down on the side of Genevieve.

Levana Mon 12-Sep-11 11:58:23

Genevieve is beautiful and more classy and unusal than Eloise imo.

There seems to be a fad of Elle / Ella / Ellie type name and Eloise just seems part of that craze and so much more ordinary.

EllenRose Mon 12-Sep-11 12:04:46

Do you have any views on people trying to shorten Genevieve or actually even Eloise? Only ask because my parents had thought they had chosen a name that could not be shortened and people still did and it annoyed them immensely!

CharlieBoo Mon 12-Sep-11 12:24:08

Oh Genevieve is beautiful... Eloise is a bit blah to me.

LetThereBeRock Mon 12-Sep-11 12:24:41

Definitely Genevieve.

BikeRunSki Mon 12-Sep-11 12:28:29

Definitely Eloise!

Genevieve may well get abbreviated to Jenny (well, it has for my mum). Depends on how you feel about that. But I still prefer Eloise, and had it on my list for girl bump due in a few weeks.

Pasiphae Mon 12-Sep-11 12:30:16

Genevieve. So pretty compared to Eloise.

Niecie Mon 12-Sep-11 12:31:19

Genevieve definitely.

If I had a DD that would have been my choice too. Love it.

Elouise is too much like Louise in my head and I just don't like it - negative connotations, I'm afraid. And it reminds me of The Damned record which I don't like.

LydiaWickham Mon 12-Sep-11 12:41:00

both lovely, go with Genevieve, unless you hate Jenny as a nn. I know 2 grown up Eloise's, neither get called Ella, I guess it's short enough to not always need a nickname.

ChineapplePunk Mon 12-Sep-11 12:43:00

I don't mind the shortened versions of either name. LoL regarding The Damned connection. It's actually one of the things that makes Eloise kind of cool for me. smile
I do really love Genevieve though, but I suppose it isn't fair to use it if my other half isn't sold on it.
I'm in Glasgow and I haven't really noticed the name Eloise come up very often.

akaemmafrost Mon 12-Sep-11 12:43:42

Eloise. It was my favourite name for dd but was vetoed by her Dad. Its a beautiful name.

wobblypig Mon 12-Sep-11 12:48:37

I have a Genevieve but didn't think through the nick/shortened names ( I hate Gen/Jenny) So we call her by her middle name.

suspiria Mon 12-Sep-11 12:53:02

I love Genevieve it's beautiful, it's a timeless classic

Eloise looks at though it's going to be very popular for the next few years

mistressploppy Mon 12-Sep-11 12:56:38

Eloise is lovely without being try-hard. Genevieve is very pretty too but as you say, if your DP doesn't like it as much...

Niecie Mon 12-Sep-11 13:06:07

If I had a Genevieve I would probably have called her Jenna rather than Jenny.

ChineapplePunk Mon 12-Sep-11 13:07:00

And don't get me started on boys names. That's even more difficult. I like traditional Irish names like Cian, Cillian or Mylo. My other half like Danny. That's going to be really tough smile

cadifflur Mon 12-Sep-11 13:11:04

ooh, what beautiful names, both of them. Love the suggestion of Jenna as a nn too, that's such a lovely name.

tammytoby Mon 12-Sep-11 14:35:53

Genevieve is very pretty, elegant and timeless. Lovely name.

Eloise is ok, used quite a lot already, so may feel more dated eventually.

My vote goes to Genevieve!

comedaygoday Mon 12-Sep-11 15:11:29

Like them both, but slightly prefer Genevieve as it's more unusual. I would use Ginty as a nn.

Offspring Tue 13-Sep-11 03:32:51

My vote is for Eloise. I love it and had this bump been a girl DH and I had agreed to use it.

I absolutely love our boys name choice too, but slightly in mourning for the name Eloise sad.

FemaleEuknickers Tue 13-Sep-11 04:36:51

Genevieve can have the nn Evie and that is now in the top 10. It is a lovely name though..

I have a friend, Eurpoean, called Eloise and always thought it was an elegant name. I only know one child called it currently and believed it was still unusual. Obviously Cheltenham has a glut of swish mothers!

Eloise is my choice

iscream Tue 13-Sep-11 05:19:48

Genevieve. You could call her Eve, Evie, Jenny or Viv for short.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now