Talk

Advanced search

help with third dc - due next week

(14 Posts)
Conkertree Sun 11-Sep-11 08:05:39

Due in a week, and just want some other opinions on names, as not as sure as we were with the other two dc. I was going to name change, but for those of you who know me in rl, when I said the other two boys names we have, it would be obvious who I was anyway, so if you know me, please dont spill the beans before the baby comes. Anyway - still undecided so its still only ideas anyway.

We have a Struan and an Angus.

If it's a boy, our two favourites are Fergus and Lachlan. I know Angus and Fergus are not dissimilar, but they dont actually rhyme (unlike Struan and Ewan which was another favourite). I like Lachlan, but think it might be over the top Scottish when mixed with the other two.

For girls, my favourite name has always been Rachel, and DH likes it too, but he has also suggested Eilidh to more fit the Scottish theme of the boys. I like Eilidh, but am not keen on Hayley, or Aileen, or other names that sound similar, so am not sure if I like the sound of it, or more just how it looks on paper.

Anyway, long post - if anyone has any comments or other suggestions, they will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

AlmaMartyr Sun 11-Sep-11 09:05:20

Love the names of your DSes, gorgeous! I know a (grown up) Fergus, known as Gus, and it's quite nice. I like Lachlan too. What about Hector (I loved Hector but couldn't have it)?

Rachel's a good name. I like Eilidh, have seen it suggested on MN a fair bit (I think!). I wouldn't worry too much about names that sound like it - my DS has a name that sounds a lot like another name but I love his name and don't like the other one. I guess some of that may be just associations rather than the actual sound of the name but that doesn't bother me really.

Cereal Sun 11-Sep-11 10:55:57

I like Lachlan. To me, Fergus sounds more obviously Scottish. I don't think Lachlan sounds "over the top Scottish" with the other two, but Fergus might.

tummytickler Sun 11-Sep-11 12:23:36

I would not have Fergus with Angus, both can be shortened to Gus and they are too similar imo.
I adore Struan - your ds's have fab names! I like Lachlan with them!

allhailtheaubergine Sun 11-Sep-11 12:30:56

Lachlan. Fergus is 'more Scottish' than Lachlan, and Angus and Fergus are too similar.

Rachel and Eilidh are both nice, but I prefer Rachel.

MelinaM Sun 11-Sep-11 14:05:51

Lachlansmile

Prefer Rachel to Eilidhsmile

diddl Sun 11-Sep-11 14:26:20

I love Fergus & Rachel.

Also like Hamish.

Catriona, Iona, Flora?

MissHonkover Sun 11-Sep-11 15:13:35

Lachlan is lovely, I prefer it (just by a squeak) to Fergus.

Hhm. Rachel is a bit meh for me, I'm afraid. I'm with you on the soundalike issues with Eilidh. What about Etain? [sorry, can't do the accents, button broken on laptop), or is that too Irish Gaelic rather than Scots Gaelic?

Morven?

OutIntoTheBlue Sun 11-Sep-11 18:55:19

I love Lachlan. Same for Rachel too. Good luck!

Conkertree Sun 11-Sep-11 19:28:24

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I think we might need to go through the name books one last time before we make any final decisions.

Although I think I prefer Lachlan overall, we both think he is more likely to be picked on for that name than Fergus in the area that we have moved to. Maybe a rethink entirely is needed.

Louplet Sun 11-Sep-11 19:36:51

Logan?

I like Rachel.

Louplet Sun 11-Sep-11 19:39:55

Logan?

I like Rachel.

DigOfTheStump Sun 11-Sep-11 19:50:28

Rachel is lovely, but I think you need to go a bit more Scottish, to match in with your boys' names.

I would go for Cationa, Mhairi, Mairi, Fiona, Jenny, or Iona.

I agree with the others that the two Gus names are both gorgeous, but too similary, so I would go with Lachlan. Or Rory.

qwerty123 Sun 11-Sep-11 22:03:01

Fraser or Morven

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now