Talk

Advanced search

Would Emilia get mixed up with Amelia?

(19 Posts)
ExpensivePants Sat 10-Sep-11 22:17:23

I've loved Emilia since a teenage mini-obsession with Othello but discounted it because Amelia is so popular (although also nice). But DH has cottoned onto Emilia now and keeps mentioning it.

But people are going to assume it's Amelia, aren't they? Gaah, this is so hard!

MockingbirdsNotForSale Sat 10-Sep-11 22:18:23

Go for it. I think its loads nicer than Amelia and it will be no different for her than saying its Kathleen with a K to people for example.

mistressploppy Sat 10-Sep-11 22:18:44

Yeah, but I think I could live with that. It's a lovely name <has girl-crush on Emilia Fox>

Jojay Sat 10-Sep-11 22:19:36

Yes, they are. I know one and assumed it was Amelia until I saw it written down.

Lovely name though

meditrina Sat 10-Sep-11 22:20:12

I'm afraid they might - I love the name Emilia. We nearly went for it, but despite thinking I enunciate quite clearly DH thought I meant Amelia. Good job we went for a completely different name, or he'd have registered the wrong thing.

Despite his cloth ears, they're definitely two disguise names for me.

meditrina Sat 10-Sep-11 22:21:02

'disguise'? - distinct

ExpensivePants Sat 10-Sep-11 22:22:40

I'm sitting here like a berk saying Amelia Emilia like red lorry yellow lorry grin They sound different to me too but... <sigh>

His other suggestion is Clarabelle, ffs someone please tell me they won't get mixed up! grin

PootlePosyPerkin Sat 10-Sep-11 22:24:00

Yes, I'd assume that people would mistake Emilia for Amelia. Not necessarily a reason not to use the name though grin.

Clary Sun 11-Sep-11 00:32:38

Yes they will get muddled up.

You/she will spend all the time saying "actually, it's Emilia," I know someone who does.

Sorry.

Also if you don't like Amelia because it is popular (it is) then Emilia is just as bad so to speak surely?

MelinaM Sun 11-Sep-11 01:27:48

Yes it would! Emilia is lovely, not a fan of Amelia ..I do like Amelie though hmm
One moron I know spells it Emelia but pronounces it Amelia, go figure!!!

MyBaby1day Sun 11-Sep-11 05:57:27

they would yes and also (being honest) i prefer Amelia...but you go for whatever you think best and lots of luck with baby! smile

allhailtheaubergine Sun 11-Sep-11 06:17:25

I know Amelias and Emilias and they don't get confused. They do sound similar, but they are two different names.

mimimomma Sun 11-Sep-11 07:42:59

Yes, they will get confused , especially the older generation. I have an Amelie and am often correcting people who think it's Emily (although often just leave it if I'm not going to meet them again smile ) However, it's a beautiful, elegant name, I won't let it worry you.

Aphria Mon 12-Sep-11 20:44:10

We've finally decided on Emilia. I'm sure some people will get it
mixed up but I've decided I don't care! There's been a reason to discount every name we've come up with but we're just going to go with it because we like it! For what it's worth we'll be pronouncing it with 'ee' as in Edith rather than 'eh' as in Emily.

mayanna123 Tue 13-Sep-11 13:39:16

I think you'll find that most people will pronounce it Eh-milia. I've never heard it pronounced EE-milia. So you may have to correct people alot.

Hulababy Tue 13-Sep-11 13:44:46

In one of the classes in DD's school there are both: an Amelia and an Emilia, although they are shortened to Millie and Milly most of the time.

The difference in pronuncation is vey slight really - e instead of a - so you may get some people saying it wrong, esp if they're only repeating it rather than reading it down. But after a while most people will remember.

Hulababy Tue 13-Sep-11 13:45:17

Have never known Emilia pronounced Ee-milia though.

ilovemydogandMrObama Tue 13-Sep-11 13:47:06

my grandmother is Emilia, and think that Amelia is the English version?

dollydoops Thu 15-Sep-11 10:13:14

I know one who pronounces it eh-me-LEE- ah. Don't know if you like this pronunciation but believe the scansion of the lines in Othello suggests this emphasis. And that way, it wouldn't get mixed up with Amelia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now