Talk

Advanced search

Phoebe, Lucy, Ellen or Emmeline?

(28 Posts)
birdofthenorth Sat 10-Sep-11 14:29:04

These are our current faces for a girl, what do you think? I know Lucy and Phoebe are very popular, which usually puts me off, but I think they are quite classic rather than faddy. Emmeline and Ellen less so with great namesakes. What do you think?

birdofthenorth Sat 10-Sep-11 14:29:47

"faves" not "faces", stupid iPhone!

oldspeckledtam Sat 10-Sep-11 14:34:40

I love Emmeline. I wanted to use it, H vetoed... All of those names are beautiful and classic, though. If I had to order, I'd go Emmeline, Lucy, Ellen, Phoebe.

sassylassie Sat 10-Sep-11 15:51:52

I like Emmeline too, but it would probably just get shortened to Em, so worth bearing that in mind. Phoebe's nice and it's not universally popular, and Ellen's not bad. Not so keen on Lucy but it's all very individual!

HoneyPablo Sat 10-Sep-11 15:53:56

I like Emmiline and Ellen and Phoebe, in that order. Not that keen on Lucy.

thesurgeonsmate Sat 10-Sep-11 16:00:34

Ellen, please.

birdofthenorth Sat 10-Sep-11 16:06:17

Thanks all! Bit surprised Emmiline has the majority so far but I do love it! Perfectly happy with Em or Emmy for short

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 10-Sep-11 16:13:20

Well, we have an Emmeline Lucy so I quite like your faves smile and she does get called Emme, Em or even Emmelina the Ballerina or Semolina (but that's just by us).

My order of preference would be Emmeline, Lucy, Phoebe and Ellen.

If you do use Emmeline be prepared for everyone listening to the first bit and calling her Emily.

SoftSheen Sat 10-Sep-11 16:22:22

Emmeline is beautiful. smile Lucy, Phoebe and Ellen are also nice but less unusual.

flack Sat 10-Sep-11 16:38:16

I especially dislike Emmeline & don't much rate Phoebe, either.
Er... just to give you a different perspective. Lucy is okay, but I like it best when it's short for something else (like Lucinda, Lucille).

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 10-Sep-11 16:48:06

Just goes to show, whatever you name your baby someone will dislike it.

Elderberries Sat 10-Sep-11 17:21:56

Emmeline and Phoebe!

Ihavewelliesbuttheyrenotgreen Sat 10-Sep-11 17:27:33

I think Emmeline is getting more popular and therefore may age a bit, but it is a nice name. My favourite is Phoebe. Ellen is nice, its similar to all the other 'Elle' names, Elle, Ellie, Ella etc but more classic imo and she always has the option to use a shorterned version. I like Lucy, its classic and not trying to hard. I would rate them in this order

Phoebe
Ellen
Lucy
Emmeline

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 10-Sep-11 17:39:57

If popularity is putting you off, have you had a look at their position in the National Statistics Website?

Cereal Sat 10-Sep-11 18:22:52

Phoebe - OK, but a bit like "feeble"
Lucy - lovely, classic name smile
Ellen - a bit lumpen
Emmeline - nice, though slightly on the frilly side

first1 Sat 10-Sep-11 20:24:38

I'm a Lucy, I'm 24 and I remember there were five of us in my year at school which use to really annoy me having to be known as "Lucy M". And in the class I teach now, I have three Lucys. Personally I'd go for a name less popular. I love emmeline smile

birdofthenorth Sun 11-Sep-11 18:40:23

Thanks everyone! Another name I've just managed to squeeze onto the list is Esme (pronounced the Ez-Mee way not Ez-May), any thoughts? Ta!

OutIntoTheBlue Sun 11-Sep-11 18:52:27

I'm loving Emmeline, but not as much as Esme, which we would have used for DD had my neighbour not beaten us to it a month earlier. She's still the only Esme I know, too

TotallyUnheardOf Sun 11-Sep-11 18:55:50

Ellen.

(OK, so I'm biased wink, but it is a lovely and underused name.)

The only disadvantage is that it does get mistaken for other things (a bit like Emmeline/Emily): Helen (esp. if you live in an area where it's normal to drop the aitch!), Ellie (which you might like as a nickname, but my Ellen doesn't), Ella, etc.

Still love the name though.

I also love Esme.

birdofthenorth Sun 11-Sep-11 19:54:36

Out how annoying your neighbours popped you to the post! V unlucky! Do love Esme, thought DH did not, but today he seems keen

Cereal Sun 11-Sep-11 20:09:24

Prefer your other choices to Esme.

reallacecurtains Sun 11-Sep-11 21:39:32

Emmeline, very Edwardian suffragette (Pankhurst)

MelinaM Sun 11-Sep-11 21:40:58

Ellensmile

Phoebe has a moment back in the late 90's, Lucy is a tad dull, and Emmeline is too J-Lo for my likinggrin

exoticfruits Sun 11-Sep-11 21:44:10

I like them all (except Esme) but Lucy is my favourite.

mathanxiety Mon 12-Sep-11 00:25:09

Lucy or Emmeline. Esme is nice too if pronounced Es-may (imo)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now