Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Hugo

(27 Posts)
qwerty123 Sat 10-Sep-11 13:47:02

I love the name Hugo - dh also keen - so this has made it back onto our list of possibles. What are your thoughts about this name and also will it work with our two syllable surname beginning with H?

Maisiethemorningsidecat Sat 10-Sep-11 13:49:10

I love it, but we didn't go for it because our 3 syllable surname starts with an H and it didn't 'flow'. I'm not keen on first names that begin with the same letter as the surnme, but it's just a personal preference. If you like it then go for it!

mayanna123 Sat 10-Sep-11 15:34:18

I don't like the way the H is pronounced in English (heeow or something smile). I prefer it the German way, where the H is pronounced like the H in Hug.

aquashiv Sat 10-Sep-11 19:24:08

Love it happy name I think

cece Sat 10-Sep-11 19:37:19

Very nice and as a rule I usually like alliterative names too.

MelinaM Sun 11-Sep-11 01:32:25

Lovely namesmile

theroseofwait Sun 11-Sep-11 22:03:47

I also love it, but am slightly biased as I have a rather splendid 17 month old example of a Hugo. . .

qwerty123 Sun 11-Sep-11 22:10:07

Sounds totally gorgeous to me theroseofwait. How do people react to his name? Is his name well received? DH starting to wobble on the name for this reason.

Cereal Sun 11-Sep-11 23:07:38

Fine if you're quite posh/rah. Hugh is a bit safer otherwise.

happywheezer Sun 11-Sep-11 23:13:12

I have a Hugo, he's 4 months old today!
People are very divided on his name. Expect people not to like it.
My husband's family do not like his name. My mum said it wasn't one of her favourites. My husband wasn't that keen either. He thought it was chavvy given the Hugo Boss connection. But he doesn't know much. I love his name.
A women stopped me and asked his name and she just went "oh" like she didn't want to say "what a lovely name " etc.
Funny though I don't like the name Hugh.
He gets called hugs by me or huggy.

Gluttondressedaslamb Sun 11-Sep-11 23:20:21

Great name, much nicer than Hugh

BuntyPenfold Mon 12-Sep-11 09:10:09

I love it, but DH actually thought I was joking sad and rolled around laughing.

survivingsummer Mon 12-Sep-11 09:32:53

I really like it and would definitely have been on my list - DH said no as too 'posh' though sad

Hugh is a bit less posh I suppose but not so keen although Hughie/Huey is quite nice!

qwerty123 Mon 12-Sep-11 13:38:19

Still loving the name Hugo. I haven't been put off it as yet! I could imagine it suiting a baby, young boy, teenager and a man but realise that it isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea.

qwerty123 Mon 12-Sep-11 13:50:37

Was thinking of Hugo Benjamin but with the Hugo Boss association, perhaps a B should avoided for a mn.

theroseofwait Mon 12-Sep-11 21:47:46

Sorry, have been working. . . No, only two vaguely negative comments - one was from the biggest wannabe 'posh' person ever, which surprised me as I thought it would be right up his street (!!) and the other was a 'Hugo? You mean like the dippy one in the vicar of Dibley?' which would have been fine had I not known that this person has a son called Magnus, although I am too ladylike to mention mad scientists. . . . . .

Other than that, I have more 'Oooh, what a lovely name' comments than anything, and when combined with this brother's name (George) it tends to make people go quite gooey!!

Do it, you'll only spend the rest of your life wishing that you had!!!

theroseofwait Mon 12-Sep-11 21:51:56

his brother's name, even . . . . . .!!!!

scarlettsmummy2 Mon 12-Sep-11 21:57:02

I love it and it is my favorite for me baby due in January, but my husband isn't convinced much to my annoyance

qwerty123 Mon 12-Sep-11 22:22:46

Hugo and George - now I am gooey! Gorgeous names. Yes I have thought of the whole vicar of dibley thing and that is still not putting me off. Thanks for your comments.

leicestershiregirl Mon 12-Sep-11 22:44:50

I went to school with a Hugo - he was posh, swotty and had the p* taken out of him mercilessly. But he's probably got a fantastic well-paid job now and having the last laugh.

Dragonwoman Mon 12-Sep-11 22:51:08

I think most names ending in o are a bit try-to-hard, very of the moment & will date badly sorry.
Unless you are of italian extraction or similar where o ending names are traditional.

emmyloo2 Mon 12-Sep-11 23:30:48

I love the name Hugo!! And I have a George and if we have a second then Hugo is on the list for boys.

Don't worry about what people's reactions will be. We get some people who give me the hmm look when I say my 10 mth is called george. I don't care because generally I don't like their taste in names.
Go for it!

We have a 17month old Hugo too! And everyone loves his name.

He gets called Hugs, Hugzy or Baby Hugs grin

1234BOYS Mon 19-Sep-11 21:13:31

I have a baby Hugo. It does get more of a reation than my other boys' names but it is generally well received.

smartyparts Mon 19-Sep-11 21:15:19

I like it, a lot. But then I know 2 very lovely ones (4 and 2)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now