Talk

Advanced search

Be honest, what would you think if you met a girl named...

(58 Posts)
sdsdsdsdsdsdsd Thu 08-Sep-11 21:15:44

Noah?

noir Thu 08-Sep-11 21:16:11

Lovely

noir Thu 08-Sep-11 21:16:54

Reminds me of a little girl I know called Sethe.. also lovely.

mistressploppy Thu 08-Sep-11 21:17:52

I'd think you'd expected a boy, chosen a name and then had a girl and thought: why not?

It's pretty, but I'd still be a bit 'Oh. Oh right'.

southeastastra Thu 08-Sep-11 21:18:46

parent is a ponce

thesurgeonsmate Thu 08-Sep-11 21:18:47

Well if I met her, I'd think it was pretty cool. 'Cos I could see she was a girl, and could double check I'd heard her name correctly.

acsec Thu 08-Sep-11 21:19:02

How about Noa with no 'h'?

Beamur Thu 08-Sep-11 21:19:41

I'd think it's a boys name and it was a bit odd.

reddaisy Thu 08-Sep-11 21:21:26

I'm with acsec. Otherwise I would feel the same as if I met a girl who was called John - that the parents wanted a boy and didn't want to change the name.

Bert2e Thu 08-Sep-11 21:21:51

That her parents really wanted a boy rather than a girl and will forever be disappointed with what they got. She'll have a life of confusion about her sex.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 08-Sep-11 21:22:19

I'd think it very strange for a girl to have a boy's name.

Did Mrs Noah have a name?

YougreatPamplemousse Thu 08-Sep-11 21:25:05

DD2 was almost Noa - which is a hebrew girls name but DH changed his mind at the lat minute. It is one of my all time favourite girls names.

Noah - bad
Noa - cute
How about Naomi?

BikeRunSki Thu 08-Sep-11 21:30:00

Noa = girl's name
Noah = boy's name

That is what I would think anyway.

BellaBearisWideAwake Thu 08-Sep-11 21:31:09

I would think she is Israeli. Very normal name for a girl in Israel (usually transliterated as Noa though)

noir Thu 08-Sep-11 21:33:47

Oh yes, without the h does look more feminine.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 08-Sep-11 21:34:30

I'd think the parents came from some culture where the name wasn't identified with an old bloke who survives God committing committing genocide and drowning most of the poor old animals, who then has an unfortunate incident of drunkenness.

Probably just me, but you did ask!

AfternoonsandCoffeespoons Thu 08-Sep-11 21:44:02

grin Grimma, just lightening the thread a bit, yeah?

MayMummy11 Thu 08-Sep-11 21:45:39

Noa = girls name. Noah = boys name. I have experience of having a daughter named Noa and my DH and I personally love the name. I know Noa is commonly confused with Noah though it is unrelated to the male name Noah.

Noa is a Old Testement Hebrew girls name and means 'motion'. The Daughters of Zelophehad (Hebrew: בְּנוֹת צְלָפְחָד‎) were five sisters in the Hebrew Bible who lived during the Exodus of the Israelites from Egypt, and who raised before Moses the case of a woman's right and obligation to inherit property in the absence of a male heir in the family. Zelophehad (possibly meaning "first born"), a man of the Tribe of Manasseh, had five daughters: Mahlah, Noa, Hoglah, Milcah, and Tirzah; but no sons, and thus no male heirs.The text tells little of Zelophehad himself, save that he died during the 40 years when the Israelites were wandering in the wilderness.

I like the name because it stands for a strong woman fighting for equal rights. In Hawaiin it also means 'freedom' and 'from love' in Japanese.

My husband likes the Japanese meaning.

We do however, have a lot of he/she problems and raised eyebrows about the name. But I have to say the name has grown on those who had a few reservations in our family. Plus our Noa really suits the name Noa.

This is my experience of the name and I have to say I love it!

evamummy Thu 08-Sep-11 22:01:28

I think the -a or-ah ending sounds very feminine. I like it for a girl.

PercyFilth Fri 09-Sep-11 00:08:12

It means "motion" ? confused

I don't think that would be a point in its favour blush

festi Fri 09-Sep-11 00:12:25

i love billy and robyn so why not noah. sydney has become ever popular for girls once before never head of. I would go for it.

cat64 Fri 09-Sep-11 00:16:12

Message withdrawn

wellwisher Fri 09-Sep-11 00:26:07

I'd think her parents were either too dim to realise Noah is a boy's name, or were attempting one of those weird genderless parenting experiments. Either way, I'd feel sorry for her...

10isenough Fri 09-Sep-11 08:07:11

Have you considered Nia?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now