Talk

Advanced search

Nick name for Cillian

(11 Posts)
MultipleSoManyPapercuts Wed 07-Sep-11 10:20:27

So far the only name dH and I agree on is Cillian, but the thong putting me off is te lack of nn for it. I know I could use his full name, but I know it will get shortened all the time.

What nn is likely to be used?

DH also wants it with a K, not a C, but I'm trying to change his mind on that one!

Kayano Wed 07-Sep-11 10:34:43

I love that name!!!!
I like it with C it K actually. DH hates it though. I wouldn't give a nn lol

Kirstle Wed 07-Sep-11 11:16:31

Such a lovely name, assume you are pronouncing it 'Kill-ian'? In which case the only nickname I can think of which is not 'Kill' is Ci (pr kee). Lovely Gaelic name smile

PercyFilth Wed 07-Sep-11 11:45:05

If you are looking for another shortening, there is Ian. But remember that a nickname isn't always directly related to the name itself, and you may find that one evolves naturally.

tammytoby Wed 07-Sep-11 11:49:08

Do you pronounce it Kill-ian or Sill-ian? I'd probably not shorten at all, it rolls off the tongue easily enough imo.

messymammy Wed 07-Sep-11 11:49:38

What about Cilly?I used to babysit a beautiful little boy caled Cillín, and his nickname was Cilly....
It's my boys name for when I convince dp to have another baby

tammytoby Wed 07-Sep-11 11:57:11

Silly...shock?!

snigger Wed 07-Sep-11 11:58:38

You have absolutely no control over the evolution of your childs nicknames.

Pick a name, stick it out.

Honestly, you'll just be that mad bird at toddler group going "It's CILLY", when some other three yr old calls him Killer.

NL3 Wed 07-Sep-11 12:02:24

I have a Cillian - we've never shortened it - not because we're opposed to nns though. Great name btw - C much nicer than K - and get used to Sillian!!!!

rosiemama Wed 07-Sep-11 12:10:12

i know quite a few Cillians, teenagers tend to get "Cilli", but the young ones and then older ones don't tend to have a nn at all. It's too lovely a name to shorten imo!

MultipleSoManyPapercuts Wed 07-Sep-11 15:12:36

Thanks for the responses! I know that when he's older I'll have littler control over his nickname, it was more for when he's a baby, though I'm sure some other completely non related nickname will evolve when he's small (my sister used to get called flossie, her name is Lauren!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now