Talk

Advanced search

Hermione

(18 Posts)
missyclavel Tue 06-Sep-11 21:04:19

I love this name but is it too Harry Potter for most people?

I haven't read any of the books nor seen any of the films so it isn't the main association for me but I would like to know what others will associate it with.

Also, what sort of sibling names can you see with a Hermione? It is quite a striking name and might sound a little out of place with some names.

Many thanks.

I love it; love Hp too but now that all the films have finished, I wouldn't let that put you off.

Hermione and Felicity
Hermione and Melissa
Hermione and Vivienne
Hermione and Delphi

Hermione and Barnabas
Hermione and Bartholomew
Hermione and Rowan
Hermione and Gregory

booziefloozie Tue 06-Sep-11 21:13:04

I think it's a lovely name now I know how it is pronounced thanks to Harry Potter (I used to think it was Her-Me-Own)

I recently read a book about two sisters who were called Serephina and Persephone (which I used to read as percy-phone).

meditrina Tue 06-Sep-11 21:13:56

Yes, the dominant association will be HP, so I suggest that, in the interests of research, you steel yourself and read/watch at least some of them so you know what that association implies.

I think it's a great name, and the HP character wouldn't out me off.

Many sibling names would go with it - probably something polysyllabic too, possibly also Greek/classical roots, but not another HP name unless you want people to think you're enormous fans (and it sound as if you're not).

Hulababy Tue 06-Sep-11 21:17:17

I like it. The HP connection wouldn't put me off. It certainly hasn't put people off using the name Harry after all.

My 9y says that in the future she is having two DDs called Hermione and Persephonie.

ThePrisonerOfAzkaban Tue 06-Sep-11 21:23:50

I want it,

But already got a Harry (was named after HP)

And his surname beings with a P

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Tue 06-Sep-11 21:33:36

I would like it if we have another dd and we have a Claudia if that is any help.

whatever17 Tue 06-Sep-11 21:38:12

I LOVE Hermione - and from before HP - from Evelyn Waugh's "Sword of Honour" trilogy. It's a beautiful name, as is Ariadne - but (I have 2 sons) - I would call a girl Kate. It would be so hard to live with a soaring name.

seeker Tue 06-Sep-11 21:39:31

I know a hemione- known as Mi. If that helps!

Ariadne is lovely. I love Yolande too (this was in a children's book I had when aged about eight but I have no idea what it was: have always remembered the name though).

Cereal Tue 06-Sep-11 22:15:14

Hermione and Penelope
Hermione and Hector

A1980 Wed 07-Sep-11 01:20:25

Love it and it goes well with Imogen as a sister.

Not sure about boys though.

missyclavel Wed 07-Sep-11 08:29:37

Thank you for the feedback. I expected it to be less positive.

So it's not too pretentious sounding then?

seeker Wed 07-Sep-11 08:42:27

Ooh, go for Gregory.

Mi and Greg.

CurwySwide Wed 07-Sep-11 08:43:25

I love it - I don't think it is too pretentious at all - yes there is a HP connection, but as Hulababy says, a lot of people still use Harry. Once it is your daughter's name, it will be associated with her, not a character from a book/film.

missyclavel Wed 07-Sep-11 22:17:08

I think you're probably right. When you meet a child with a particular name, it can change your opinion of a name (for better or worse)!

Catsycat Thu 08-Sep-11 11:14:22

I associate it more with Shakespeare than JK Rowling... I think it's a lovely name. Very feminine, but not too cutesy.

missyclavel Thu 08-Sep-11 22:26:30

I agree catsycat. I personally associate it with Shakespeare/ Greek mythology as I'm not a HP fan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now