Talk

Advanced search

What are the grandparents being called?

(30 Posts)
C6469 Mon 05-Sep-11 14:35:07

Not strictly for this forum, but all related! Are there any names for grandparents that I've missed for english grandparents? My mum wants their names set in stone and not clashing with OH's parents names so need a few options! I know, I know...

Grandad
Grandfather
Pops
Grandpops

Grandma
Grandmother
Nana
Nan
Nanny
Gran
Granny

exoticfruits Mon 05-Sep-11 14:45:46

Just let them choose their own. If I get to be one I am going to be Grandma. The DCs will no doubt make their own anyway.

ohjusthitmealready Mon 05-Sep-11 15:11:26

Gramps/Gramp/Grampy
Bampy
I have a Opa but that isn't english.

Grams

Bartimaeus Mon 05-Sep-11 15:16:19

Think you've got it all covered! I would let the grandparents choose their own. You may end up with Granny M and Granny L for example but that doesn't matter.

My mum initially wanted to be nanny, but then kept accidently saying granny (DS isn't even born yet) so we've come to the conclusion she will be granny. grin

MIL is French so we've got a French term for her (that she chose)

RueyBoey Mon 05-Sep-11 15:23:16

As English ones goes you have it all covered. I have french ones so cant add more.

onadifferentplanettoday Mon 05-Sep-11 15:24:13

Watching with interest as have to come up with what I want to be called in the next couple of weeks,and all the above make me feel ancient !

mich54321 Mon 05-Sep-11 16:09:36

Grandpa missing from the list

FannyAnnPam Mon 05-Sep-11 16:39:06

My friends call Grandad, Fra. I am not sure if it is a welsh thing, but they have done it for generations.

crazynanna Mon 05-Sep-11 16:41:34

My grandson calls his maternal grandfather "Papa (not as the Royals' would say it)

My grandchildren address me by my username blush

kacey71 Mon 05-Sep-11 16:47:13

Nannie and Grampy Van (they have a motorhome)

Nanny and Grandad chicken (they kept chickens)

Granny Choo-choo (lives by a steam railway)

The grandparents chose their own 'names' and my eldest added the descriptions to help him differentiate!

MrsOzz Mon 05-Sep-11 16:55:32

I had a Nanny Wing who lived by the 'swings' but I could only say wing!

My mum and step-dad are Nanny and Pops to my child.

My dad and step-mum are Grandad and Nan-Jean (that kind of comes out like Nangee)

My parents-in-law are Granny/Grandma and Grandpa but they are 'older' in age and attitude to my parents.

I should add that my mum became Nanny, because I called my grandmothers Nanny. The other names just seemed to be chosen by their grandchildren, with mine following suit.

insanityscatching Mon 05-Sep-11 17:01:16

My children had a black Grandad and a white grandad (hair colour)
They later called one Pops and one Jim. They didn't have a Gran.

mumcanIaskaquestion Mon 05-Sep-11 17:58:35

We have / had

Nanny round the corner
Grandad with the cats

Nanny and Grandgag

Grandad in the wheelchair (my grandad)

All names were made up by dd1.

mathanxiety Mon 05-Sep-11 19:53:55

Papa? exMIL was adamant that she and exFIL would be Grandma and Grandpa but the first grandchild sealed their fate -- they are Gamma and Papa.

mumofbumblebea Mon 05-Sep-11 20:11:24

my parents - grandma and grandad
parents-in-law - granny and grandad
my grandad - grandad
his wife - julie
my grandma - grandma (although she wants to be cool and get the great grandchildren to call her "Triple G" (great-grandma gwen) hmm
OH grandad - Gramps
OH granny - gee-gee (pronounced jee-jee)

she is going to get confused with a lot of them having the same name but never mind.

pommedechocolat Tue 06-Sep-11 12:00:41

All our 4 just seemed to follow what their children had called their parents.
So my parents are Granny and Grandpa as I had Grannies and Grandpas and PILS are DH had Nans and Grandads.

PercyFilth Tue 06-Sep-11 12:07:34

I loathe and detest 'nan' and 'nanny' with every fibre of my being.

pommedechocolat Tue 06-Sep-11 12:12:39

PercyFilth - I'm not very partial to it either.

pommedechocolat Tue 06-Sep-11 12:13:11

Sorry my post made no sense - PILS are Nan and Grandad as DH...

seeker Tue 06-Sep-11 12:15:10

Let the grandparents choose. It will keep them busy until the children decide what they want to call them.CERTAINLY none of the parents business.

candr Tue 06-Sep-11 12:18:13

One has chosen nanny and the others want to be grandma and grandpa, am also lucky enough to have great grandpa.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 06-Sep-11 12:21:43

Agree with the others, just let them choose their own.

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 06-Sep-11 12:21:53

My parents: Poppa and Granny hername (I used to call my grandfather Pop)

MIL: Nana
FIL: Grandad
StepMIL :hername

Oh and there's MIL's mum who is Great-Nana

All names chosen by their owners!

MamaLazarou Tue 06-Sep-11 13:27:22

I can't stand Nan, and try to get my son to call my mum it for a joke - she can't stand it either! She chooses to be Nanna. She is his only functional grandparent sad

MamaLazarou Tue 06-Sep-11 13:29:10

I have always called my grandmother by her first name, as she didn't feel old enough to be a granny when we were small.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now