Talk

Advanced search

Saoirse as a muddle name for baby girl- is it to difficult to pronounce/spell for a child living in UK?!

(20 Posts)
Pinklady3777 Sun 04-Sep-11 22:46:35

We are thinking about using the name Saoirse for our baby. We think
It is too difficult for a child to spell/pronounce as a first name but could it be ok as a middle name or still problematic? Baby will e half English/half Irish but will live in UK. Pronounced Seer-sha.

TheSecondComing Sun 04-Sep-11 22:47:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ohjusthitmealready Sun 04-Sep-11 22:52:23

Well I wouldn't have a problem with it as a fn (mine is far far more unusual than that) Don't think spell/pronouce would be a problem after telling them/saying it.
But if you think you can't have it as a fn then as a mn I would say it is fine, don't think mn really matters (esp if the only think stopping you is if people will be stumbed)

Cereal Sun 04-Sep-11 22:55:40

Yes, I think people will often be asking how to spell/pronounce it.

ChippingIn Sun 04-Sep-11 22:56:12

Blimey - I would never have said Seer-sha grin More like 'say 'orse' <ignorant maybe, truthful definitely>

I think she will spend a lot of her life explaining how to say and spell it & that it is not Sasha, but if you are OK with that then go for it.

A little girl I look after isn't even at school yet and can write her very complicated 10 letter name - so don't let that stop you.

Popple Sun 04-Sep-11 23:17:36

I think it is beautiful and you should use it as a first name! It will become slightly more mainstream because of the Irish actress (stunning young girl & v talented) who seems to be everywhere at the moment. Even if the pronunciation does need explaining...who cares really? Irish names are on the rise - Niamh, Ciara, Orla, Eoghan etc. and people get the hang of them eventually. I really hope you go for it! I think you'd regret not using it....it's just SO lovely & a name I couldn't ever pull off as we don't have any Irish ancestry!

mathanxiety Mon 05-Sep-11 05:52:57

If it's going to be a muddle name then it really has to be unspellable and unpronounceable doesn't it?

I think Saoirse Ronan's fame will help greatly. Gorgeous name imo.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Mon 05-Sep-11 06:08:40

Nobody ever says the middle name aloud after the first week of life, though, do they? I've written DD's name a lot, but after announcing what she was called nobody has ever spoken it aloud again.

CurwySwide Mon 05-Sep-11 08:30:16

Tortoise makes a good point - when do people ever really say their second names - except at their weddings? It's pretty - I would go for it.

Pinklady3777 Mon 05-Sep-11 10:05:17

Thanks everyone! Still worried about it even though I love it. Do you think it goes with the names Imogen or Lilia as first names and/or what do you think of these as first names? X

Bartimaeus Mon 05-Sep-11 10:08:30

Love the typo in the title grin

ragged Mon 05-Sep-11 10:11:20

Having only read the title, I wouldn't have a clue how to pronounce it (DH doesn't know either).
I'm sure people can get used to it, though.
I personally don't think it is a pretty name, though (reading the pronunciation now), sounds like... I dunno. A horse? Siobhan is pretty, though; that is popular for a reason.

Pinklady3777 Mon 05-Sep-11 10:18:20

Sorry about typo in title!! Oops!

midnightexpress Mon 05-Sep-11 10:26:07

Depends where in the UK I think. You'd probably be OK in Scotland where Gaelic names are quite common. And as a middle name I don't think it matters.

Pinklady3777 Mon 05-Sep-11 11:05:04

No it would be Surrey not Scotland where she would live...hmm.

pinkgirlythoughts Mon 05-Sep-11 11:19:28

Imogen Saoirse was one of my names for my DS if he'd been a girl. Love it!

sqweegiebeckenheim Mon 05-Sep-11 15:43:34

I work in London there are lots of little Saoirses running about the place - your local Catholic primary school will have a few I'm sure smile

Pinklady3777 Mon 05-Sep-11 17:03:46

Oh really? That is nice to hear actually! Keep writing it down for people to pronounce and everyone seems to have no idea what to do or how to say it!!!

Beamur Mon 05-Sep-11 17:11:05

I wouldn't have known how to say it, but think it is beautiful - if you like it, use it anyway.
I have quite a common surname, but due to a slight lisp cannot pronounce it very clearly (!!) so often have to spell it for people - it's not a big deal really.

HerdOfTinyElephants Mon 05-Sep-11 17:21:40

I would know how to pronounce it, and I think if Saoirse Ronan's career continues on the up the way it is now then most people will wind up knowing how to pronounce it. And pretty much no one other than you and the rest of her immediate family will need to pronounce a middle name anyway, so even if people can't it doesn't matter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now