Talk

Advanced search

Thomas, Henry or smething else? Open to suggestions!!!

(27 Posts)
BloodStainedHeart Sun 04-Sep-11 18:24:17

Me and Dh are struggling to think of names for DS2. Any help would be much appreciated.

LynetteScavo Sun 04-Sep-11 18:24:57

What is DS1 called?

Thomas is dull.

BloodStainedHeart Sun 04-Sep-11 18:28:58

DS1 is Joseph. I don't mind dull to be honest blush. I like quite traditional names but like I said we hare open to any suggestions. Nothing we have found really fits and we're not loving any of the names we can think of!

ragged Sun 04-Sep-11 18:30:14

What about family names (Granddads etc.) Even if it's not something you love, maybe someone will love you for using it, iyswim.

poppydaisy Sun 04-Sep-11 18:31:03

Thomas and Henry are indeed a little dull. They are also quite widely used already.

How about Dominic, Tristan, Quentin, Tobias, Isaac? But at the end of they we all have different tastes smile.

funnypeculiar Sun 04-Sep-11 18:32:34

Thomas & Henry are both lovely names - can't go wrong with either. Yes, there's a chance there with be another in their class - but so what, the world won't end.

If you want the names to feel a bit more 'you' why not think about nicknames - imo, Tom is totally different to Tommy (who is totally different to Thom)...

poppydaisy Sun 04-Sep-11 18:33:47

How can Tom be different from Thom hmm?

LynetteScavo Sun 04-Sep-11 18:35:17

Joseph is a fabulous name!

I suggest Edward. (Another fabulous name!)

Although Henry is a good name, and goes well with Joseph.

funnypeculiar Sun 04-Sep-11 18:35:27

:-) I know theyre not really, but they feel different to me (but I may be influenced by Thom Yorke there!)

OddBoots Sun 04-Sep-11 18:37:31

Edward
Gordon
James
Percy
Toby

Duck wink

LynetteScavo Sun 04-Sep-11 18:45:03

Donald and Douglas?

LynetteScavo Sun 04-Sep-11 18:46:10

Tom Scavo would like me to point out that he posted that. He is very proud of his Thomas the Tank Engine knowledge.

EdithWeston Sun 04-Sep-11 18:46:56

I prefer Henry to Thomas.

Some other traditional names to consider: Daniel, Samuel, Joshua, Theo, Stephen, Richard, Robert, Michael, Rupert, George, Timothy, Paul, Simon?

Mollydoggerson Sun 04-Sep-11 18:49:08

Richard is a good strong name, how about Peter or Andrew.

Cereal Sun 04-Sep-11 18:49:55

I like Henry and prefer it to Thomas.

How about Aidan, Samuel, Felix, Peter, David, George, William, Isaac, Gabriel, Aaron, Elias, Luke, Lawrence, Nicholas, Gregory, Oliver?

herecomesthsun Sun 04-Sep-11 18:50:53

Alexander is a rather nice name, traditional, and with a variety of nicknames.

Takver Sun 04-Sep-11 18:51:03

John
James
Stephen

I particularly like John - traditional, but less used at the moment than other 'classic' names. Having said that, I think that Thomas/Tom is a hard name to beat.

Not quite so keen on Henry, only because (if you don't use nn Harry) it often gets shortened to Hen which I don't like.

LikeACandleButNotQuite Sun 04-Sep-11 18:51:57

Love both, prefer Henry to Tom (even though I married a Tom).

My current favourites (incase they offer any inspiration) are Travis, Max, Tristan, Jesse and Harry

MelanieWiggles Sun 04-Sep-11 18:56:28

Oddboots - I thought exactly the same thing wink

LynetteScavo Sun 04-Sep-11 19:03:20

Benjamin.

Joseph and Benjamin. smile

alittlebitshy Sun 04-Sep-11 19:04:48

Henry, Henry, henry grin

BloodStainedHeart Sun 04-Sep-11 19:50:57

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like Oliver but someone mentioned it was the most popular name at the minute which sort of made me think it wasn't exactly original. I do really like Henry but have had a lot of negative comments made about it though I am not sure that should put me off. I am really stuck now! We LOVED Joseph and it just seemed to FIT straight away. Haven't had that feeling this time round. :-(

MorallyBankrupt Tue 06-Sep-11 14:58:37

Henry is a bit dull. Plus would always be Harry which I don't like.

Much prefer Thomas.

Edward goes really well with Joseoth though.

Offspring Wed 07-Sep-11 03:22:18

Joseph is the front runner for this bump, I adore it. Others on our list:

Nathaniel
Euan
Eli (and Elijah and Elias)

I like Alexander also (but DD is Sasha and they obviously don't work together!), and like Thomas. I don't mind Henry but I really don't like Harry so wouldn't use it personally.

Papyrus Wed 07-Sep-11 03:46:46

My Henry is 5 and its never been shortened (apart from when DD2 was learning to speak and called him Henny which made him so cross grin).

I think most people see Henry and Harry as completely seperate names now tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now