Talk

Advanced search

Wren

(44 Posts)
MrsRV Sun 04-Sep-11 12:12:14

I've absolutely fallen in love with Wren for a girl. Hubby doesn't like it and when I say it to people they either love it or snigger and say 'noooooo'. Opinions please! (I have just under 6 months to talk hubby round so I reckon I can do it!!)

othersideofchannel Sun 04-Sep-11 12:14:15

Shouldn't you choose a name BOTH your dh and you love?

It doesn't really matter what we think in that case, does it. I quite like it, although have never met a Wren in real life.

aliceliddell Sun 04-Sep-11 12:16:05

I like it. A sister for Robin?

Cereal Sun 04-Sep-11 12:21:42

I like it, but if your DH isn't keen maybe you could find something you can agree on?

What is it you like about Wren? Is it the nature theme, in which case perhaps you'd like other names such as Willow, Jasmine, Skye? Or is it the sound of the word, in which case do you like other names with "ren" in such as Renee, Lauren, Karen?

FetchezLaVache Sun 04-Sep-11 12:24:57

I have a friend called Ren, short for Renae- I love the name!

CandiceMariePratt Sun 04-Sep-11 12:29:03

I really like it, I know 2 Wrens

MrsOzz Sun 04-Sep-11 15:47:51

I know a Wren, but her name is Jennifer. I guess it started as Jenny-Wren as a nn then just became Wren!!

EdithWeston Sun 04-Sep-11 15:53:03

I know they disbanded as a separate Service many years ago, but I think of The Wrens as part of the British Armed Forces; and they Eemian active as a welfare organisation for female mariners.

MummysLittleSunbeams Sun 04-Sep-11 19:59:05

I too love the name Wren, it's both cute & quirky without being ridiculous or pretentious. You don't really need to talk him round in 6 months, just don't say too much about about names & after the birth he'll agree to any names you suggest just like my husband did! grin

(Mummy to Sadie & Kitty)

I love it but agree that you need to find something that both of you like.

hairylights Sun 04-Sep-11 20:46:02

I think it's hideous.

Rosa Sun 04-Sep-11 20:47:36

Sorry am with your husband on this one and also with channel - choose a name you both love ....

saintmerryweather Sun 04-Sep-11 20:49:49

I like it. Its better than a lot of names that are suggested on here!

cece Sun 04-Sep-11 20:51:25

It's awful.

Choose a name that you both like !

Lambethlil Sun 04-Sep-11 20:55:58

Its lovely, BUT if your DH doesn't like it don't use it. You could call her Jennifer NN Wren or save it for DD2. I did the latter with the name I really loved. DH came round to it by the time DD was born!

Soothe Sun 04-Sep-11 20:57:31

Popular there was one in Thursday's times I'd steer clear as not keen on fashionable names

planetpotty Sun 04-Sep-11 21:00:58

Same as Edith said Wren to me is a female member of the Navy.

WREN - Navy
WRAF - RAF
WRAC - Army

Not necesarily (sp?) a reason not to choose it - I liked Jack but we couldnt have it as Jack is military speak for selfish smile

MagdaMagyarMadam Sun 04-Sep-11 21:05:53

Wren suggests a tiny, dainty thing - not good if your DD turns out not to be somewhat different.

MagdaMagyarMadam Sun 04-Sep-11 21:33:50

not

must learn to use the blinking preview button.

malinois Sun 04-Sep-11 21:42:22

A wren is a skulking, mousy, shy little bird. Not something I would name DD after.

TheSecondComing Sun 04-Sep-11 21:45:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BuntyPenfold Mon 05-Sep-11 09:26:31

How about Linnet? Very pretty and another little bird.

susiedaisy Mon 05-Sep-11 09:32:16

Sorry I am not keen on the name nor the the idea of keeping on at your other half until you wear him down and he goes along with it.

MammaInTheMaking Mon 05-Sep-11 15:57:19

Totally love the name and it's also on my list. I'm definitely going with the nature theme and DP loves it too smile

winkle2 Mon 05-Sep-11 16:24:43

I quite like it but wouldn't be brave enough to use it.

I adore Renee tho and maybe Wren could be a nickname?

It would make a great middle name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now