Talk

Advanced search

Names NOT going together

(11 Posts)
bonkers20 Sun 04-Sep-11 07:06:36

You often read in the Baby names threads how people are looking for names to match the other names of their children.

my children's names do not compliment each other at all. we wanted them to have diff. initials, that's all.

ds1 has a more modern name while ds2's is very traditional.

anyone else?

no caps, i'm nak!

Kirstle Sun 04-Sep-11 12:41:29

I know what you mean. I know a sibset called:

Alice
Elsie and
Piper

Two classic, traditional names and one ultra-modern name.
Funny thing though, they are all what you might associate their names to be. Alice is very reserved for a 6 year old, Elsie is like an old head on young shoulders at 3.5 and Piper is a very spunky tomboy character at 2.

Kirstle Sun 04-Sep-11 12:42:41

*can I just say I know that the name Piper is quite old (Piper Laurie etc) but what I meant was it seems to have just increased in popularity over the last 5 years or so and is more commonly used smile

ragged Sun 04-Sep-11 12:44:46

I know a White British secular young trendy couple who called their two sons names like
Abdul
Edward

luckily they live in a very multi-cultural town.

CompactDisc Sun 04-Sep-11 12:49:16

Hi Bonkers20, was just at my email, checking an answer from pregnant niece who's expecting twins, just me asking her if she had names yet. She answered that they are waiting to see the little guys hoping names will drop in her head at the time.

Me, being an older Mom, my kids are over 18 now, both of them in higher education, Uni and College, I knew from a very young age that I wanted a girl and a boy when I grew up, but at that time no names in particular. My father died when I was just barely a teenager myself and one name became clear for my then proposed boy. He got it, along with extras!

Some say that they match and argue that we did it on purpose. Nope, it was just discussing with hubby what names we liked, the ones that were in our immediate families etc.

So son's names are a mixture of old and traditional and same for daughter, that overall reflects their heritage. Saying that their initials creates a very funny word indeed!

Hope that helps....

Later CD

lurkinginthebackground Sun 04-Sep-11 16:05:58

I think most people's names match because (providing they have the same parents) that shows the style of the parents iyswim.
People tend to like the same genre. So I find that people who have say a Sam may also have a Ben as they are very similar type names.
I have been told that my dcs names do match but I did want names with longevity and specifically avoided names where you could pin point the era in which they were born.

allhailtheaubergine Sun 04-Sep-11 16:12:34

We chose a very hippy rainbow child sort of name for eldest daughter and I find it does rule out names we are currently choosing for #3, though my taste has changed a bit over the years.

I think it would be strange to have an Ocean and a Maud (not actual names).

mumofbumblebea Sun 04-Sep-11 16:48:41

i think its nice to have names that match, although it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things if they don't. i wouldn't choose names that completely clashed though! i would avoid the same initials (especially if same gender) and would give them the same number of middle names. i always think it looks like a child has been short-changed if they don't have a middle name and their sibling has 2!

somewherewest Sun 04-Sep-11 17:01:13

I don't really get the matching names for siblings things. It won't make any difference to them in later life, as they'll no doubt go on to live completely independently of each other.

Xavielli Tue 06-Sep-11 09:53:17

I went more for names that sounded good with the surname and in the case of DD, that would go well with most last names.

DS2 and current bean have a very different surname to DS1 and DD so have/will have very different names.

wigglesrock Tue 06-Sep-11 10:19:22

I have 3dds and I don't know if their names go or not - I'm terrible at that type of stuff grin, although they all end in the same letter which I didn't realise until we named dd2, I was told off on MN for that, it apparently is a very common thing to do, not common in the way of popular hmm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now