Talk

Advanced search

Ellen?

(31 Posts)
birdofthenorth Fri 02-Sep-11 08:06:10

This is DH's repeatedly suggestion, inspired by Ellen Wilkinson. Like the namesake, but is Ellen a bit 'meh'?

Apart from thinking it's a bit dull, my concerns would be-

She would get called Ellie which I'm not keen on & is mega popular (like Elle, Nell & Lennie as nns though)

People would think her name is Helen (nice name but DD1 already has a name which is often misheard & it has led to confusion)

DD1's name is a diminuitive of Elizabeth which is on her BC- is Ellen too similar?

Is it a bit weak & feeble? Part of me thinks it's elegant & fab, but

birdofthenorth Fri 02-Sep-11 08:07:07

iPhone error sorry! Was going to finish

....but I'm unconvinced it's particularly special!

bananamam Fri 02-Sep-11 08:09:46

Well I love it. Dd was almost an Ellen. If I had another she would be Ellen. grin

bananatrifle Fri 02-Sep-11 08:11:33

I think it's a beautiful name. Have you got any other names lined up?

My DD has a name that we often have to repeat or spell, and for a while I think she would have changed it like a shot, but I think now she's alot older she quite likes it being a bit different, although she'll probably always have to repeat it to others.

And I can't imagine her being called anything else.

Good luck with name hunting - we ended up putting names in a hat!!

birdofthenorth Fri 02-Sep-11 08:40:59

Ooh, that's two positives, thanks!

Other names on the list include Phoebe, Hope, Sadie, Susannah & Zara

MelinaM Fri 02-Sep-11 08:53:19

I think Ellen is a lovely name, I'd go with Nell as a nn ..I abhor Ellie toogrin

Not at all weak / feeble or dull! Lovelysmile

QOD Fri 02-Sep-11 09:01:42

I have a niece Ellen and know 2 others. It's quite a "hard" name to say to a baby, I found - and yes - Helen is a very common misconception. Also Alan. We actually all call her Alan as that's how she said her name as a baby (hard to say Ellen....)

She doesn't get called Ellie at all, but "Smellen" is an oft used in school name...

Ephiny Fri 02-Sep-11 10:11:03

I like it, inspired by Ellen MacArthur in my case (so definitely no weak/feeble connotations for me), and a beautiful name anyway.

I guess you might get confusion with Helen, much like Hannah/Anna, wouldn't worry too much about that personally though. It's not so unusual that it would be a problem. Not sure about similarity to your other DDs name - depends what it is. Elise/Eliza might be a bit too similar.

I love Susannah and Zara from your list as well!

Cereal Fri 02-Sep-11 10:21:22

In order of preference...

Zara
Hope
Phoebe
Sadie
Susannah
Ellen

othersideofchannel Fri 02-Sep-11 14:31:29

I like Ellen - classic, elegant and not overused these days. I'd avoid the nickname Ellie (there are indeed enough around already...) but why would you shorten Ellen anyway? It is lovely as it is imo.

elphabadefiesgravity Fri 02-Sep-11 14:43:34

Dd is Ellen named after my grandmother. She never gets called Ellie despite us meaning to when she was born.

Now she is getting older she quite fancies the idea of Nellie (my nanna was Nellie too) I don't like Nellie though.

You do get a LOT of people who think she is Helen.

birdofthenorth Fri 02-Sep-11 15:33:05

Elphabad thanks that's interesting. Does your DD get annoyed when people call her Helen?

Ephiny my DD1 is Bess so not close to Ellen but we do call her Elizabeth occasionally

bananamam Fri 02-Sep-11 15:40:14

Oddly we opted to call DD Phoebe!!!

MellowBirds Fri 02-Sep-11 15:40:59

Love it, love it, love it.

A bit biased though...

elphabadefiesgravity Fri 02-Sep-11 20:19:23

She used to get a bit indignant but to be fair it is happening less and less now.

Very occasionally she will call herself Elle but thats more to do with the fact she is obsessed with the musical Legally Blonde she calles herself Little Miss oursurname comma Elle

Papyrus Sat 03-Sep-11 06:41:45

Love Ellen! Would definitely be on the list for DC4 but DD1 is Eliza. Eliza and Ellen are just too similar I feel.

lurkinginthebackground Sun 04-Sep-11 16:24:41

I think as long as you correct people they won't call her Ellie. Do think it could get confused with Helen, but you only need to correct people once, hopefully.

pointydog Sun 04-Sep-11 16:41:30

Love it. I don't know an Ellen who's called Ellie.

Martini007 Sun 04-Sep-16 08:51:23

Thinking of the name Ellen for my baby girl... The only issue I see is our surname which is Ivil.
Ellen Ivil
What do you think?
I also like Alice and Nataliesmile

Pinklily1 Sun 04-Sep-16 09:13:50

I honk Ellen is beautiful.

Pinklily1 Sun 04-Sep-16 09:14:11

Typing failure, sorry!

I think Ellen is a beautiful name.

Sophronia Sun 04-Sep-16 10:29:22

It's lovely. Love Susannah from your list too.

MrsGsnow18 Sun 04-Sep-16 10:47:41

I like Ellen. Knew one at school and she never got called Helen or had her name shortened to anything. I don't think Ellie would be a natural shortening.

Enkopkaffetak Sun 04-Sep-16 17:16:04

I like Ellen as a name. However from the list I think the others are far nicer.

I dont think Ellen and Elizabeth is a issue and no I dont think Ellen is a dull name. Its just a pretty name

Pyrrha Sun 04-Sep-16 17:23:44

I think Ellen is really classic and pretty, I like phoebe too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now