Talk

Advanced search

Niamh for a baby girl?

(11 Posts)
blodyn83 Thu 01-Sep-11 17:43:22

Hi, I'm pregnant with my first and we found out we're having a girl. I love the name Niamh (pronounced neeve) but my mum HATES it! Trying not to let her put us off the name but would appreciate your thoughts please...?

Also wondering will my daughter hate me in later life for giving her a name she'll probably always have to spell out to people because it's unusual?

LadySaga Thu 01-Sep-11 17:45:30

Lovely name!

smother Thu 01-Sep-11 17:51:08

I adore this name!! Also like Maeve.
Perhaps if you opt for the simpler spelling your mum might come round to the idea.

MelinaM Thu 01-Sep-11 17:56:30

It's a nice name, but I agree that the spelling thing could be an issue.

HerRoyalNotness Thu 01-Sep-11 18:16:03

I love it and would use the proper spelling. There are enough around that it won't be a problem, your mum won't hate it when faced with her precious granddaughter, and besides, it's not her choice

BikeRunSki Thu 01-Sep-11 18:17:12

I think it is common enough now that people understand the spelling.

Ephiny Thu 01-Sep-11 18:19:57

I thought it was quite popular these days - am pretty sure it was well inside the top 100 for girls in England/Wales last year? The spelling shouldn't be too much of an issue if it's becoming a familiar and commonly-used name over here.

I do have a colleague who spells it Neave, I don't think that's as nice though!

Denny185 Thu 01-Sep-11 18:22:42

I love name and spelling, wanted it for all of mine, my husband wanted to change the spelling, I didnt, agreement could not be reached, none of mine got the name

mathanxiety Thu 01-Sep-11 18:34:46

Gorgeous name and lovely meaning. I wanted it for all my DDs but got vetoed every single time. Wish I had pitched a fit and insisted on getting my way.

People got over 'S-i-o-b-h-a-n' and will be fine with Niamh.

pinkgirlythoughts Thu 01-Sep-11 18:38:06

Definitely common enough that spelling won't be an issue. It would probably cause more problems if you tried to simplify it by spelling it Neve or Neave, to br honest.

blodyn83 Thu 01-Sep-11 20:16:51

Thanks everyone smile

We're not going to decide on the name til after the birth but my faith in Niamh is restored! You're right, as first grandchild she's gonna be fussed over no matter what we call her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now