Talk

Advanced search

sibling for Bea

(18 Posts)
mumofbumblebea Thu 01-Sep-11 15:40:41

hey have some ideas about names for a brother or sister for my daughter, Beatrice Rose, and would sppreciate knowing which ones you think sound bestwith her name?

Girls:
Harriet
Eliza
Jemima
Martha

Boys:
Arthur
Hugh
John (nn Johnny - still too dated maybe?)

Thanks in advance smile

tummytickler Thu 01-Sep-11 16:18:56

I adore John - absolutely fabulous, timeless, classic and not too popular. Not at all boring.
Arthur is a bit trendy/faddy for me
Hugh is ok, not amazing.

Harriet - OK, Hattie is a lovely nn
Eliza - boring, but fine
Jemima - lovely
Martha - ok

I also thought Constance before I read your post. Beatrice and Constance are lovely together.

grumpypants Thu 01-Sep-11 16:23:08

i would have felicity, (flee) purely so i could draw pictures of a bee and a flea for the bedroom, and make up little stories about their adventures. sorry - not helpful.

mumofbumblebea Thu 01-Sep-11 16:28:07

i do like felicity but there is a little felix in the family we see on a regular basis and the names are a bit too similar for me. great idea though!

minipie Thu 01-Sep-11 16:45:17

Hmm. Well, if you always call Beatrice Bea, then I would go for another name which has an easy nn which you like - because if one child is called by a nickname, it might seem a little odd if the other is called by a full name?

(though perhaps I am overthinking this)

So for example Harriet is good due to Hattie (if you like that nn). Martha not so good since no obvious nn. Jemima can be Jem which is sweet. Eliza can be Ellie or Liz but do you like those? (I like Ellie but it's v popular).

Boys - John nn Johnny is lovely.
Hugh is a bit blah.
Arthur is sweet but very on trend and might date.

Cereal Thu 01-Sep-11 16:55:47

Harriet Martha / John Arthur.

John is a classic and not overused at the moment.

Or how about

Josephine, Lucy, Louisa, Clara, Emily, Georgina, Zara

David, William, Edward, Henry, Samuel, Oliver, Daniel

mumofbumblebea Thu 01-Sep-11 17:01:42

out of the girls names the ones i keep coming back to are Jemima and Harriet. only thing with jemima is that OH is james, are the names too similar (and does the similarity really matter?). i think boys names are so much harder! OH likes Isaac but i really don't think that Beatrice and Isaac work together. i love Harry but know looooooaaaaaads of them. i think john nn johnny is the front runner for boys, also there is a good chance that baby will have red hair (from moi) and i know from family members that boys growing up with red hair can have a hard enough time without adding an unusual name to the mix!

mumofbumblebea Thu 01-Sep-11 17:05:46

i love georgina but OH said no. also henry but OH cousin has had a henry recently (not close to them but still..). also would use Edmund (after my late father) as a middle name so edward edmund is a no lol. thanks for the suggestions though! smile

smother Thu 01-Sep-11 17:49:50

Saw the title and couldn't help thinking Anthony for a boy - nn Ant! - ho ho.
Like Arther and Johnny too - not so keen on Hugh.

Really like all your girls' names - favourites would be Martha and Eliza.
Harriet and Jemima are slighty (very slightly) horsey/jolly-hockey-sticksy to my ears.

MelinaM Thu 01-Sep-11 17:58:48

Love Jemima and Marthasmile

John nn Johnny is lovely too, I know of a 2 year old Johnny, it's a lovely name for a little chap!

Chocolocolate Thu 01-Sep-11 19:33:44

I really like Harriet with Beatrice - Hattie and Bea.

Of your boys names, my favorite is Arthur. If you use John your DH and DS will have the same first initial which could get confusing in the future when you have letters delivered to Mr. J Surname.

Other boys name ideas: George, Michael or Peter.

Northernlurkerr Thu 01-Sep-11 19:41:05

I have a Bea. Her sisters (older though) are Miranda and Rosalind.

I like Eliza best of your list and Hugh I think.

usingapseudonym Thu 01-Sep-11 20:12:59

We're thinking of having a Bea too. Although our current daughters name turned out to be unbelievably popular the year or two after we named her (Sophie. I thought it was just the "Sophias" that were trendy).

We'd end up with a "fi" and "bea" though...

I really like Hattie from your list.

randomimposter Thu 01-Sep-11 20:13:39

The Beatrice Rose I know has a brother Frederick John

Of the names you suggest Martha sounds best with Beatrice (though LOVE both Jemima and Eliza), but agree with the poster who said you need a similar short name, so would probably go Jemima.

Arthur of the boys names - my dear late dad.

mumofbumblebea Fri 02-Sep-11 09:34:51

smother - anthony doesn't do it for me i'm afraid but i like the insect thinking lol

scarlettlips Fri 02-Sep-11 13:18:48

Out of your list...

Eliza
Jemima
Hugh
John (nn Johnny) not dated IMO

xx

Jellyboobs Fri 02-Sep-11 16:04:48

Eliza and John = fabulous, although maybe cos I'm a romantic, they're just such beautiful names. I work with a guy called Jonathan, everyone shortens it to Jon, which is the same sound as John, so I don't see that it would sound old fashioned. Eliza can go to Liza and Lizzy, both really pretty.
I might have to steal your daughter's name if I have a girl, Bea/Bee is one of the few names OH and I can agree on. grin

Jellyboobs Fri 02-Sep-11 16:14:52

Eliza and John = fabulous, although maybe cos I'm a romantic, they're just such beautiful names. I work with a guy called Jonathan, everyone shortens it to Jon, which is the same sound as John, so I don't see that it would sound old fashioned. Eliza can go to Liza and Lizzy, both really pretty.
I might have to steal your daughter's name if I have a girl, Bea/Bee is one of the few names OH and I can agree on. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now