Talk

Advanced search

Alliteration in names

(26 Posts)
jordanna79 Wed 31-Aug-11 16:26:47

What do people think of this? First name and Surname starting with the same letter...

We are pretty set on an R name but my DH's surname begins with R too... I have thought about it the last 4 months and it has sort of become the baby's name but it still worries me...

It'll be Rocco Rowett - Is that ok?! I'm smilimg now! It's certainly memorable!

PS I'm Italian and I want an Italian name hence Rocco.

GetOffOfMyCloud Wed 31-Aug-11 16:31:46

My married name is an alliteration and I think it's just fine.

Go for it.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 31-Aug-11 16:33:38

I love it. I was really sad that I couldnt find a girls name I liked that began with the same letter as my surname.

legallyblond Wed 31-Aug-11 16:40:35

Same issue here... except its worse as the first name I want is Greta... followed by our G surname, 2 syllables. So alliteration, which is good, but I worry its too close to Greta Garbo.

I love Rocco btw.... it reminds me of Rocco e i suoi fratelli!! (old Italian film I studied during me Italian degree!)

jordanna79 Wed 31-Aug-11 16:41:26

Blimey I'm shocked!
I've almost convinced myself it is good to go because:

a) It isn't a made up name. It's a saints name.
b) It won't be mispronounced by English folk - whereas some of my other ideas just don't work in English.
c) Rocco means Rock as does my grandad's name Pietro - so I'm sort of naming him after him. I adored my grandad...he ROCKed! :-)
d) Rocco Francis Rowett is nice, no?! (Francis is also a family name I want to keep)

Can you tell I'm talking myself into it?! Thanks ladies.

It's not like Roger Rabbit then? and lets not even go there if he has a Jonathon Ross style lisp....I'll let you work it out for yourselves! :-)

GetOffOfMyCloud Wed 31-Aug-11 16:41:48

I'm quite sad actually that I can't give my DC1 a name with the same letter as our surname, just because my initial starts with the same initial and I don't want anyone to share initials with each other, ie DC of Jemma and John being named James and Joanne. It just gets too confusing (IMHO).

Rocco is a lovely name.

jordanna79 Wed 31-Aug-11 16:44:21

Legally Blond - is the film worth watching?

Greta Gardner - I've just dropped in a 2 syllable G name - sounds pretty cool to me!

It's funny we get so hung up about other people we know with the same names...but once your Greta comes along I'm sure you won't think about Greta Garbo anymore.

Go for it!

Cereal Wed 31-Aug-11 17:31:15

Yes I think the alliteration is too much, sorry.

iskra Wed 31-Aug-11 17:34:27

Obviously mileage varies on this one then! I personally don't like alliteration in names & am ruling out all "C" names for my children on those grounds. Just a matter of personal taste!

Chocolocolate Wed 31-Aug-11 17:34:30

We love alliteration and if we have a baby boy, he will be named Henry Holmes.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but we like it grin

magicmelons Wed 31-Aug-11 18:50:39

I love it, DH is struggling with it, my fave boys name is Hugo but we have a H surname.

MrsSnaplegs Wed 31-Aug-11 18:58:01

We have a H at the beginning of first, middle and surname for our DS - can't say on here as it will definitely out megrin

Cleverything Wed 31-Aug-11 19:00:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SecretNutellaFix Wed 31-Aug-11 19:03:13

I truly hate my alliterative name. It was ok as child because it was my first and middle name M, but then I had to go and fall in love and marry a chap with a surname beginning with the same sodding letter!wink

SecretNutellaFix Wed 31-Aug-11 19:03:54

So my initials now are MMM.

pinkgirlythoughts Wed 31-Aug-11 20:16:45

I initially ruled it out for my DS, but ended up calling him Frederick F anyway! Even now, I have days where I think it should have been his middle name, to stop the alliteration being so obvious, but everyone else seems to think it sounds fine.

chandellina Wed 31-Aug-11 21:13:43

i love alliteration and your name sounds fine to me.

GwendolineMaryLacey Wed 31-Aug-11 21:16:58

Love alliteration in names and Rocco is a great name smile

tiredchocoholic Wed 31-Aug-11 21:34:38

Our DS has a first name beginning with 'S', as does our surname -I can honestly say the issue of alliteration wasn't ever on our radar....but fwiw, I love it and we have had loads of positive feedback on his name. Go for it!

blushingm Wed 31-Aug-11 21:43:53

i liked molly for dd - we have a 2 sylabal M surname - it sounded like a victoria prostitute sad

jordanna79 Thu 01-Sep-11 22:19:52

Well thanks for your feedback girls. I sort of feel like it has become his name anyway even though I am not in love with it if that makes sense...

ShoutyHamster Sat 03-Sep-11 19:47:08

Love alliteration. I think it generally adds a dash of something - and Rocco is great!

lurkinginthebackground Sun 04-Sep-11 16:11:00

I think Rocco Rowett is fine. 2 syllabols plus 2 syllabols splits it up. Whereas Rocco Rowe is not as good. I have an alliterative name and I love it!

pale212 Mon 05-Sep-11 16:13:41

Chocolocolate - Henry Holmes is the name of one of the worst serial killers of all time! Might be worth a google before you decide! However I do love a bit of alliteration - film star names smile

MrsSnoops Mon 05-Sep-11 16:24:01

Our DS name is an alliteration. His name is not everyone's cup of tea but we love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now