SpringHeeledJack Mon 29-Aug-11 20:58:38

nooooooooooooooooo

Unity Mitford

again

nooooooooooooooooooooo

StrandedBear Mon 29-Aug-11 20:58:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsgboring Mon 29-Aug-11 21:00:18

NO WAY. And do you think "unity" is such an admirable quality even if it didn't have fascist overtones?

MmeLindor. Mon 29-Aug-11 21:01:15

No. no. no.

Sorry.

A1980 Mon 29-Aug-11 21:02:51

LOL! I thought as much!

I've only met one and I must confess it didn't suit her. It just sounds too "old" for a young girl.

Cereal Mon 29-Aug-11 21:09:31

Not keen, sorry

TillyIpswitch Mon 29-Aug-11 22:30:58

Seriously?

The strongest image most poeople have when they think of Unity is of someone who shot herself in the head when Britain went to war with Germany because she basically had a massive schoolgirl crush on Hitler...

I mean, most people overcome associations with names, but sod going through your life every time you're introduced to someone with them going, 'what, as in that Mitford nutter?'

Think of the children. grin

Meglet Mon 29-Aug-11 22:32:35

No.

Middle name if you must (I like quirky middle names) but not for a first name.

kerala Mon 29-Aug-11 22:35:55

Read the mitford girls by Mary Lovell (think by her) v readable and will ensure you bin the name unity.

DirtyMartini Mon 29-Aug-11 22:36:59

It's a shame about U Mitford and her fascist nuttiness, because I do think it's an attractive name in itself. I kind of like the notion of "virtue" names, from a historical POV (though would not, of course, choose one that suggested expectations for a child's actual personality ... but I don't think Unity really does that).

I like the fact it starts with U, as well.

Would only use in fantasy naming, though, not for real baby. Especially now that Liberty et al are sort of middle-class trendy names - they have definitely acquired a bit of an eye-roll quality and that would apply to Unity as well.

minipie Tue 30-Aug-11 12:03:47

Nooo for the Mitford reason.

How about Verity or Amity as alternatives?

Liberty is ok but screams "Primrose Hill set" to me.

HengshanRoad Tue 30-Aug-11 12:44:33

Unity is on a par with Trinity for awfulness.

Shoutymomma Tue 30-Aug-11 12:53:07

Give her the middle name Gritty.

SpringHeeledJack Tue 30-Aug-11 16:05:20

@ Kerala

if Muv and Farve Mitford had called Decca Unity instead in a swopsy, it would have been one of the dd's middle names, no messing- I'd have thought it was beautiful

she's my favouritist grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now