Talk

Advanced search

Honor

(31 Posts)
breadandhoney Sun 28-Aug-11 20:24:55

Totally hypothetical at this point but I mentioned to DH the other night that i really like the name Honor and he is not of the same mind, to say the least! He says it is pretentious. Do you agree?

goingdownhill Sun 28-Aug-11 21:25:25

It is the name of my dd1 so obviously I love it and think it is not at all pretentious grin. I wanted a classic yet underused name. dd is 2.7 and we have yet to meet another. I wanted a name as far away from all the Milly/Tilly/Lily/Emily type girly names that I could find. Honor is a grubby little tomboy having two big brothers and her name suits her perfectly. <sticks out tongue at your DH>.

BeerTricksPotter Sun 28-Aug-11 21:29:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChippingIn Sun 28-Aug-11 21:32:47

(Sorry goingdownhill)

I don't like it. It sounds American, although a thread on here last year really hammered home the fact that it's british grin I don't really like any of the Faith, Hope, Charity type names (although appreciate it is a different spelling).

However, I don't think it's pretentious.

Sorry again 'goingdownhill' <not that you give a flying what I think I'm sure grin>

goingdownhill Sun 28-Aug-11 21:35:33

Its fine it would be a boring world if we all liked the same. I am the one who is in the minority as the twee girly names are the ones that are in fashion. smile

MirandaGoshawk Sun 28-Aug-11 21:36:03

I don't think it's pretentious but I don't like it much. It just looks like a 'wrong' spelling to me.

Said in my sarf London accent it would also sound awful. smile

Italiangreyhound Sun 28-Aug-11 23:56:08

Personally I prefer the English spelling, Honour but it seems that the other spelling is not just from USA.

www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Honour

Says "ho-nour\ as a girl's name is a variant of Honor (Latin), and the meaning of Honour is "woman of honor"."

Lovely meaning and lovely name.

Imnotdarrellrivers Mon 29-Aug-11 00:12:37

Not really a fan sorry. But not because it is pretentious (because I don't think it is)

MrsRhettButler Mon 29-Aug-11 00:18:14

I like the meaning and spelling and all that but I can't bring myself to like the actual sound of the word.. 'Onna'

But each to their own, hardly anyone likes my choices!

PerryCombover Mon 29-Aug-11 00:24:08

It's dire but it's only a name

breadandhoney Mon 29-Aug-11 09:51:17

Thanks for your input. More likes than dislikes, which, of course, clearly means i am right, DH!

I just think it is a beautiful, underused name, and unlike some of the posters above I like how it sounds. (Doesn't sound like "onna" in my accent). Great to hear that none of you think it is pretentious!

Italian - I'm not a fan of American spellings being used in the UK, however, I have also read that Honor is the "correct" spelling. It just looks nicer too - more balanced or something.

Anyway, all hypothetical at the moment, as I said. But thanks all for indulging me smile

Cereal Mon 29-Aug-11 10:55:25

I like it.

Cereal Mon 29-Aug-11 10:55:51

(What does it sound like in your accent? I'd say "Onna" too).

bibbitybobbityhat Mon 29-Aug-11 10:55:59

Absolutely beautiful.

scarlettlips Mon 29-Aug-11 11:12:39

I have an Honor....naff said!! grin

chalat Mon 29-Aug-11 11:22:09

Am intrigued - how does Honor sound in your accent? Is is a softer ending more 'err' than 'ahh'?
I agree the spelling for a name somehow appears better without the U. I once worked with someone called Honor, she was Irish and I loved the way she pronounced it and been fond of the name ever since.
Challenge your OH to find a name that goes beautifully with it would be my suggestion! grin

breadandhoney Mon 29-Aug-11 11:45:23

good suggestion chalat!! not sure how that would go though. he's a bit fixated on the name...Becky! no offence intended to any Beckies out there, but it's not exactly in the style of Honor.

I would pronounce it "onner". (Honor, that is, not Becky grin)

MrsRhettButler Tue 30-Aug-11 09:59:13

I can see how honor would sound lovely said with an Irish accent!

Op, if you like it then go for it, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it

strawberrylion Tue 30-Aug-11 20:28:39

I love Honor and I do know a five year old with the french spelling but whilst I (and everyone else) pronounce it 'onna' or 'onner' (can't hear the difference?!) I was with her the other day where someone kept saying 'honna' and it made me cringe!!

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Tue 30-Aug-11 23:13:17

strawberrrylion, there's a big difference between those 2 if you're Scottish or Irish.

HPonEverything Wed 31-Aug-11 13:01:25

I love it for the same reasons as goingdownhill - classic but underused
Sadly my DH has veto'ed it, he is really into the girly Lily/Milly/Tilly names.

It's so much harder naming a baby than I thought it would be!

scarlettlips Wed 31-Aug-11 15:13:42

Apologies to breadandhoney for highjacking...

But I was just wondering...to those who already have an Honor...what did you call her brothers and sisters? DH and I are finding it super hard to find another name to match. Just wanted to steal know that's all.

Thank you OP xx

shonnomanom Wed 31-Aug-11 17:24:10

I mentioned Honor when having DD. OH immediatley said 'Have you been on her?'
Have since heard that joke a few times and am now very glad we went a different way

HPonEverything Wed 31-Aug-11 17:51:26

Yes whenever Honor Blackman is on TV everyone looks at me for my very predictable "I'd LOVE to be Honor Blackman"

An oldie but a goodie grin

Bandwithering Wed 31-Aug-11 19:54:14

I really like it. I would say that it was quite simple. Not too girly girly. It sounds like a strong woman's name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now