Talk

Advanced search

Olive

(27 Posts)
tobearornottobear Sat 27-Aug-11 13:33:04

I love Olive. Already have Alice Elizabeth and think Olive Emily or some other soft middle name is just gorgeous....

Alice & Olive.....wdyt?

Cereal Sat 27-Aug-11 13:40:16

Very nice smile

ttalloo Sat 27-Aug-11 13:41:56

Don't like it. Has too many associations with On The Buses for me.

Why not Olivia?

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Sat 27-Aug-11 13:42:00

It's lovely. It is getting popular round here though (se london).

greenzebra Sat 27-Aug-11 13:48:04

I love it but I would as its one of my middle names. I think it has more character than Olivia and also on the buses was so rubbish and nobody now really knows what it is. And no body from your littles one generation will know either.

RueyBoey Sat 27-Aug-11 13:54:05

It is alright but like Olivia better

But I just keep thinking of Popeye and Olive Oyl

pinkgirlythoughts Sat 27-Aug-11 14:10:41

I really like it, but I'm not sure about Alice and Olive together, to be honest. They're a little bit too similar-sounding, IMO.

I really wanted to call my LO Olive, but DP just said "will we call the next one Popeye, then" grin grin grin every time I mentioned it, as if it was the most hilarious joke ever. hmm

tobearornottobear Sat 27-Aug-11 14:22:12

I kno what u mean pink about them sounding similar....but i think i like that....hmmm. i also have a james and an ellie....

The on the buses ref and popeye ref really dont bother me at all. People were pretty meh about alice until they met her and she totally bowled them over.... smile

hellymelly Sat 27-Aug-11 14:24:36

I love Olive,and only know one,she is about 8.I think it is a stronger name that Olivia and far less used. (Olivia is madly popular now).Also think it sounds right with Alice (another lovely name).

everlong Sat 27-Aug-11 14:43:21

Very nice but think you might end up saying Alive and Olice..

cantpooinpeace Sat 27-Aug-11 15:37:09

Like it, also like Ivy smile

LetThereBeRock Sat 27-Aug-11 15:55:46

It's horrid.

ThePosieParker Sat 27-Aug-11 16:03:40

Ivy Tanner.....

Love Olive....

HengshanRoad Sun 28-Aug-11 09:18:39

This is one name I just don't understand the popularity of. It's an ugly sound, and it's also the name of a perniciously revolting-tasting little bugger of a fruit.

Fo0ffyShmoofer Sun 28-Aug-11 09:25:47

Sorry I don't like it. I immediately picture 1970s wallpaper at the sound of it. It's a bit...drab.

DoMeDon Sun 28-Aug-11 12:28:04

Olive - no - Oil, oyl, on the buses

Olivia's worse - too common

NotJustKangaskhan Sun 28-Aug-11 12:41:04

I like it, though I prefer Olivine.

Kirstle Sun 28-Aug-11 15:12:30

Not keen on Olive, just reminds me of the colour (it really is a hideous colour isn't it?) Don't get the On the Buses reference but Olive Oyl isn't the worst connotation, I suppose. Lots of people name their daughter's Penelope, so cartoon connotations can't be the worst. I do love love Olivia, but that's not what you asked. I also don't think it's as wonderful as Alice (adore that name). What about Emily as you like it for mn? Good luck smile x

TheSecondComing Sun 28-Aug-11 18:16:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tallulah Sun 28-Aug-11 18:34:13

I really can't understand the growing popularity of Olive as a name. It sounds horrible, it doesn't have a nice meaning and it is both a yukky colour and a nasty food stuff. That's before you think about Olive Oyl.

With Ellie and Alice as well? No.

Shoutymomma Sun 28-Aug-11 18:41:18

Like the savoury nibble, people will either love it or hate it. It's a name with no middle ground.

tobearornottobear Sun 28-Aug-11 21:26:25

I hear wot u r all saying....its a tough one for me as i totally agree that ellie alice and olive is a bit of a lllll overload.....aww will be sad if i dont get to use it tho....its deffo a marmite name.

ChippingIn Sun 28-Aug-11 21:29:06

Are some of your keys broken?

Olive - I don't lik)e it (it is clunky, it's food, icky colour, on the busses, popeye etc but that aside - it just does not go with Alice.

ticklebumpkin Sun 28-Aug-11 21:30:34

It's vile.

ticklebumpkin Sun 28-Aug-11 21:31:55

Love James, Ellie and Alice though.

If I got lumbered with Olive when my siblings all had nice names I'd be gutted.

Can you tell I hate it? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now