Talk

Advanced search

Which name for baby girl?

(22 Posts)
cornelia1 Fri 26-Aug-11 14:21:21

Lila or Alexandra? What do you think about this names? We are considering Lila Alexandra but now I am thinking about Alexandra Lila.

MsChanandlerBong Fri 26-Aug-11 14:29:47

Personal preference... I like Lila as a first name over Alexandra.
However Alexandra does give good nn options (Alex, Lexie etc) so you might want to take that into account.

brodanbell Fri 26-Aug-11 15:10:04

Lila Alexandra said together runs better than the other way around....however having said that, how often is she going to have to introduce herself by her full name? Not often. TBH it's not as if it's that clunky to say Alexandra Lila, it just happens that it is smoother the other way around. I'll get to my point though....I prefer Alexandra to Lila. It has more impact, more oommph (if that is a word), and also has more nn options if you so wish. I find Lila to be a bit nothingy personally, but then I am not keen on names like Lola, Layla, Lara etc, they just sound like la-la-la-la to me, like a line from a song.

EightiesChick Fri 26-Aug-11 15:10:58

Alexandra is lovely - that would be my choice of first name.

Cereal Fri 26-Aug-11 15:29:51

Alexandra is a lovely classic name. Not so keen on Lila.

I think the two names together have too much l and a. I'd go for Alexandra with a different middle name.

minipie Fri 26-Aug-11 15:34:28

Lila is a bit too made up/Kate Moss linked for me. I prefer Alexandra.

Ebb Fri 26-Aug-11 15:52:48

I prefer Lily to Lila but I appreciate that's not what you asked. grin Lily Alexandra flows better I prefer Alexandra to Lila.

thisisyesterday Fri 26-Aug-11 15:56:16

I think Lila Alexandra flows better.

then again, it's very rare that you'll ever need to use both names together. So I guess it comes down to which you prefer.

I think I might go with Alexandra just because I think Lila is getting/going to get quite popular whereas Alexandra is a fairly under-used classic

Definitely Alexandra for me. As thisisyesterday says, it's a classic. So many different nn options.

Yama Fri 26-Aug-11 22:19:57

Alexandra by a long, long way.

redglow Sat 27-Aug-11 12:04:29

Lila much nicer.

LaTristesse Sat 27-Aug-11 21:05:38

I prefer Lila, but think it sounds a bit clunky with Alexandra in the middle - it's the 2 vowels together... But maybe that's just me!

muminthemiddle Sun 28-Aug-11 14:08:01

I think Alexandra is much better.

Idreamofsunshine Sun 28-Aug-11 21:37:01

Lila is lovely

Hulababy Sun 28-Aug-11 21:51:46

I prefer Lila to Alexandra.

No idea if it bothers you, it does some pepeople, but I would say Alexandra is far more popular than Lila too.

Lexiejack Thu 01-Sep-11 14:38:20

I've got Alexandra. We call her lexie, lex or Alex and she answers to all 3. She's Alexandra Elise

Quin Thu 01-Sep-11 15:32:15

Alexandra is lovely!

mumofbumblebea Thu 01-Sep-11 15:43:37

definitely Alexandra although i'm not keen on the nn options. the full name is lovely

LetThereBeRock Thu 01-Sep-11 16:09:42

Alexandra.

FleurTing Fri 02-Sep-11 00:46:55

Both are pretty names, but Lila is a bit too fashionable at the moment - by the time she grows up her name could well be a dead giveaway of her age, like all the Traceys, Sharons, Amandas and Kayleighs.

Chynah Fri 02-Sep-11 21:33:58

Alexandra. I have an Alessandra (italian version) and call her Lexi or Lex.

Lexiejack Sat 03-Sep-11 09:38:31

The only problem I find with using Lexie as a nn is that old people seem to think I'm calling her sexy!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now