Talk

Advanced search

Evangeline

(44 Posts)
truthisinthewine Thu 25-Aug-11 09:06:19

DH has suggested this, it's not what I would have picked but I think it's growing on me.

I'm worried it sounds a bit long and fussy.

Wondering what other peoples thoughts/opinions are on it.

Catsmamma Thu 25-Aug-11 09:07:46

i love it!

I worked with a lovely lady called Evangeline.....I didn't use it as it's the same ending as my name.

UndercoverWorker Thu 25-Aug-11 09:08:00

I love it. Loved it since I heard it in the House of Eliott blush but always thought it was a bit flouncy to use. But names have moved on and now I actually have children to name it's everywhere angry or at least Evie is. But if the popularity of Evie doesn't bother you then go for it, it's gorgeous.

eaglewings Thu 25-Aug-11 09:09:55

Beautiful
My dd2 has a longish name and she managed together the hang of writing it quickly.
Do you like the possible shortened versions of it? Friends do tend to try.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Thu 25-Aug-11 09:44:27

It is a lovely name. DD really wants to be called that, she sees herself as the poor uneducated maid in Nanny McPhee.

pinkgirlythoughts Thu 25-Aug-11 10:25:46

A colleague has a daughter named Evangeline, known as Evie. I think it's lovely, long but not too long, and just the right amount of frilliness!

ghostofstalbans Thu 25-Aug-11 10:26:56

it's a song by the icicle works so would always remind me of that grin

MrsRobertDuvall Thu 25-Aug-11 10:27:31

Love it.
And EVie.

carpetlover Thu 25-Aug-11 10:28:02

It's lovely! I would shorten it to Eva though as Eve and Evie are both very popular at the moment though both are also lovely.

TwoIfBySea Thu 25-Aug-11 10:28:27

It sounds like a heroine from a children's book. You can shorten it too as others have suggested but it is a lovely name.

TwoIfBySea Thu 25-Aug-11 10:28:31

It sounds like a heroine from a children's book. You can shorten it too as others have suggested but it is a lovely name.

midnightexpress Thu 25-Aug-11 10:28:48

Lovely. Also Evie.

LOL @ house of Eliott reference.

Scaevola Thu 25-Aug-11 10:29:22

It's lovely!

The Christian meaning is both obvious and strong, so I don't think I'd have chosen it myself for that reason.

midnightexpress Thu 25-Aug-11 10:33:11

I don't think so Scaevola. I mean, it is, I suppose, but hadn't crossed my mind until you mentioned it there.

Shomac Thu 25-Aug-11 10:34:54

Very pretty and unusual

muminthemiddle Thu 25-Aug-11 10:37:01

I love it, but I do like long names!

Scaevola Thu 25-Aug-11 10:37:59

I suppose it depends where you are. Anywhere with an active Evangelical church (and evangelicals do tend to be active) is a place where the Christian aspect will be obvious.

midnightexpress Thu 25-Aug-11 10:39:05

Yes, I suppose that's true.

tummytickler Thu 25-Aug-11 11:08:42

I love it, it is one of my dd's middle names. I briefly considered it for a first name but was afraid of the nn Evie - although we would have used Genie.

truthisinthewine Thu 25-Aug-11 13:24:09

Thanks everyone. Nice to hear some positive opinions.

Just need a middle name now. We have a fairly long 3 syllable surname so needs to be something short.

Any suggestions?

KristinaM Thu 25-Aug-11 13:28:37

I think your middle name shoudl be one syllable, so

Evangeline Grace Middleton

Even two syllables is more of a mouthful

Eg Evangeline Sophie Middleton

greengirl87 Thu 25-Aug-11 13:44:54

def one of my favourite names. Its very classic and timeless. There are also lots of different abbreviations. Your DH is very good with name choosing!

ThatllDoPig Thu 25-Aug-11 13:46:56

And there is that beautiful Evangeline in Nanny McPhee who gets to marry Colin Firth at the end.

LemonDifficult Thu 25-Aug-11 13:48:38

Do you think she might be known as 'Vangie'?

MissTriangle Thu 25-Aug-11 16:14:46

I love it. Am trying to persuade OH that we should use it for our DD due in 2 weeks. We would probably use nn Eva. So it would be evangeline florence. Florence is after my grandma... I know two long names is a mouthful- which is OHs arguement against using evangeline... But i really want to use florence as my grandma passed away on my due date a few years ago.
Can't believe we haven't decided on a name yet!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now