Talk

Advanced search

Please advise on my shortlist: Eleonor, Aldara, Amaya, Morgana, Sibila, Carolina

(23 Posts)
Sofiaintherye Wed 24-Aug-11 21:46:40

I am a Spanish pregnant mum (living in Spain) and I would very much appreciate your feedback on how these names sound to your British ears.

earshot Wed 24-Aug-11 22:00:14

Just to warn you, Aldara is a brand name for genital wart treatment cream.

However, I do know a (half Spanish) Amaya in the UK - I think it's a gorgeous name.

kelly2000 Wed 24-Aug-11 22:01:49

I like Eleonor, Amaya, Morgana, and carolina. i really like Morgana, but have a feeling it is in the Arthurian legends, and she was a witch -can anyone else confirm that (could have been Morvana)?

oohlaalaa Wed 24-Aug-11 22:03:09

Eleanor, Amaya and Carolina are very nice.

Aldara, Sibilia, and Morgana, not so nice.

midnightexpress Wed 24-Aug-11 22:05:26

Yes, I think Morgan le Fay is a witch in the Arthurian legends. Morgan seems to be quite popular though.

I also know an Amaia (spelled with an i rather than a y), not Spanish at all. I heard that it means 'the last' - is that right? The one I know is the youngest in her family.

FWIW I like Eleonor (more commonly spelled Eleanor in English).

midnightexpress Wed 24-Aug-11 22:06:12

Sorry, by 'not Spanish at all' I meant that the child is not Spanish at all.

Sofiaintherye Wed 24-Aug-11 22:13:57

Thanks a lot for your messages.
Midnightexpress, regarding Amaya or Amaia, at least in Spain its origin is the name of a fortress built in Medieval times in the north of the Spanish Castille region. It is a relatively common name in the Basque country (Basques use the form Amaia).

hester Wed 24-Aug-11 22:15:46

Amaya is very pretty!

Arrogantcat Wed 24-Aug-11 22:46:43

Eleonor is nice.

TheSecondComing Wed 24-Aug-11 23:51:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

midnightexpress Thu 25-Aug-11 09:30:24

Oh yes, Ines is lovely.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Thu 25-Aug-11 09:41:01

I like Eleonor, Sibilia and Carolina. The other ones I am neither liking or disliking.
Is it true that all spanish girls must have the name Mary first then the next names? I had a spanish acquaintance who was adamant that her sisters were all called Mary Elizabth, Mary Anne, Mary Carmen etc but only used the bit that wasn't Mary ITMS.
I am not sure whether I believed her, she was slightly dotty.

minipie Thu 25-Aug-11 11:22:40

Eleonor is very nice, but it will end up getting spelled the English way ie Eleanor in case that bothers you.

Carolina is nice. Caroline is an "out of fashion" name at the moment but I suspect it may come back soon...

Amaya is lovely.

Sibila makes me think of "sibilant" - reminds me of hissing and snakes. Morgana makes me think of gothic tales and witches. So I'd avoid those.

LaTristesse Thu 25-Aug-11 11:50:49

Amaya gets my vote, the others sound either clunky or a bit ugly (sorry, sorry) to my ignorant English ears...

EricNorthmansMistressOfPotions Thu 25-Aug-11 13:46:57

Morgana and Sibila are fantastic.

Sofiaintherye Thu 25-Aug-11 20:14:08

Thanks a lot for all your input!!!

Thesecondcoming & Midnightexpress: agree, Ines is lovely and not common at all now, at least in Spain. We didn't consider it up to now, I'll check with DH.

Earshot: thanks for your warning on Aldara!

Ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs: you were given misleading information regarding Mary- names in Spain. It was common some years (or decades) ago to use those names (I guess due mainly to older generations' devotion for Virgin Mary) but not now actually. And there was never a rule or something like that.

Minipie: actually I would prefer the English spelling for Eleonor/Eleanor; and it could prevent people from calling her "Leo" which is a short name often used in Spain for Eleonor that I don't like very much.

LaTristesse: don't worry, negative votes are as helpful as the positive ones!!!

Cereal Thu 25-Aug-11 20:30:00

I like Eleanor, Amaya and Sibila. However Sibila sounds like the English word "sibilant" so I would use Sybil instead.

birdofthenorth Thu 25-Aug-11 20:57:30

Amaya is gorgeous

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Fri 26-Aug-11 07:29:58

Thanks for that, I knew she was a bit fat fibber!

Theas18 Fri 26-Aug-11 10:03:15

Carolina is lovely but I assume pronounced caro-leena not as the American state - which will be a bit of a bugbear in the uk. Not insurmountable though.

Not aldara as above please.

moomsy Fri 26-Aug-11 13:19:45

I love the name Carolina... pronounced caroleena just as it's pronounced in the latin Countries.

Sofiaintherye Fri 26-Aug-11 16:04:11

Yes you are right Theas18 and Moomsy, we pronounce it caroleena here. I like the sound. Maybe the name it's a bit long but I like it.

coccyx Fri 26-Aug-11 16:07:21

Like Eleonor, but prefer Eleanor

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now