Talk

Advanced search

Maria nn Ria?

(19 Posts)
birdofthenorth Wed 24-Aug-11 14:26:52

Sort of a compromise but I'm warming to it, what do you think?

Thanks

EssentialFattyAcid Wed 24-Aug-11 14:28:38

Rear?

blushingm Wed 24-Aug-11 14:30:09

my friend is Ria - her mum liked the woman Ria from that programme Butterflies

wearenotamused Wed 24-Aug-11 14:30:12

I think Ria is an established nn for Maria.

Either way I like it.

Scaevola Wed 24-Aug-11 14:30:20

Are you going for the traditional UK/US "Muh-Rye-ah" (stress on middle syllable - so NN would probably be "Rye-ah) - in which case, I think it's fine.

If you are going for the European "Ma-REE-ah", then NN comes out as "rear" and I really wouldn't.

blushingm Wed 24-Aug-11 14:33:46

my friend did get called Gonna and Dyer at school

MerylStrop Wed 24-Aug-11 14:37:36

It's my name, which I neither love not hate.
I have never ever been called Ria, some people did once try calling me Maz in the early 90s but I managed to quash that particular hideousness.
One of the main perks of the name is that on being introduced other people frequently burst into song, old men especially. I quite like that.

Madlizzy Wed 24-Aug-11 14:38:35

My sister is Maria, called Ria or Ree. She had no problems with her name. Hers was the european pronunciation.

belgo Wed 24-Aug-11 14:39:40

I know a Ria. Never occurred to me that it sounded like rear, because it doesn't.

belgo Wed 24-Aug-11 14:40:11

Anyway I prefer Mia as a short form of Maria.

beanlet Wed 24-Aug-11 15:03:48

It's not pronounced MA-rye-a in the US - haven't you seen West Side Story? Uk yes, US no.

In any case Ria sounds harsh - I much prefer Mia.

Iamkenny Wed 24-Aug-11 15:12:27

I've always said it like Mah-Ree-ah and I went to a irish catholic school where shall we say it was popular (my accent makes it come out like Muh-ree-ah though. Like a soft Mah not a harsh one)

Muh-Rye-ah as in Carey? If someone said that was their name I'd be adding a h on the end.

Ria works fine. I like it actually. Mia works fine as well.

mollschambers Wed 24-Aug-11 15:21:05

Love Maria.

Can't hear Rhea/Ria without thinking diarrhea.

Mia is nice.

ReebleBeeble Wed 24-Aug-11 15:22:00

Muh-Rye-Ah (as in Carey) is spelt Mariah. Mar-Ree-ah is spelt Maria. As in Ave Maria.

My DM is called Maria. Usually shortened to Marie. Some cousins call her Auntie Ree Or Ria (REE-AAH. Nothing like Rear.)

CurwySwide Wed 24-Aug-11 15:59:21

I know a Ria, shortened from Maria. It has never occured to me in the ten or so years I have known her that it sounds like rear. I like it; Mia is nice too but very popular at the moment, if that makes any difference.

Iamkenny Wed 24-Aug-11 16:15:24

I'm glad I'm not the only obe re Maria and Mariah. (Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum Benedicta tu in mulieribus - thankfully that is the only part I can remember and it scares me I can remember that much. But it did just pop into my head, bloody nuns wink )

RogerMelly Wed 24-Aug-11 16:16:59

I think Maria unshortened ina lovely classic name

ria sounds like a backside and I don't know what would possess someone to call their daughter it

PercyFilth Wed 24-Aug-11 16:35:51

The pronunciation Ma-RYE-ah is the old-fashioned UK style. (Think 'Black Maria'.) This is how it was pronounced before the 20th century, when the Latin pronunciation came into fashion. The same applies to Sophia (So-FYE-ah).

It's nothing to do with having an 'h' at the end.

helendigestives Wed 24-Aug-11 17:02:50

I think the nicknames of dia- and gonnor- and -rend wouldn't have occurred had the Rhea I knew not been a real betch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now