Talk

Advanced search

Help! I need another muslim/english name

(12 Posts)
inthenightmaregarden Tue 23-Aug-11 15:13:09

MN regular name changed...kids identity... blah blah

I am christian english. DH is british born Moroccan muslim.

We like names that reflect both cultures and are 'recognised' by both families.

Our 3 DC are Leila(6), Sofia and Zachary(DTs 2.8), expecting 4th (and final!) DC next month and totally stuck on names. We dont know the sex.

We need an english sounding name, but not one of the 'plainer' options like Adam or Sarah as I do not think these would flow very well with the older siblings names.

Fimbo Tue 23-Aug-11 15:16:12

Aisha?

puzzletree Tue 23-Aug-11 17:52:30

Noah or Zara?

EldritchCleavage Tue 23-Aug-11 17:55:36

Just recommended Idris on another thread, which is both Arabic and Welsh, so fits well into both cultures. I like Djibril/Gabriel too.
For girls, I like Zara too. Larissa is foreign to both your traditions but somehow sounds right, if you know what I mean.

gorionine Tue 23-Aug-11 17:58:12

Deen? there is also a Muslim nane that sounds really like Ryan I cannot remember it but your DH would know probably. Actually it might even be Ryan but with a different spelling

Lina?

If you look into Prophets names there is a lot of nice ones like Younes, Yusef, Jacub...

inthenightmaregarden Tue 23-Aug-11 19:03:30

Aicha is a bit too on the arabic side for me i think

i LOVE noah. wasnt aware this was a permitted name in islam? I will definately be getting DH to check this one out.

Gabriel..hmmm..I like but is it a little girly?

We flitted between Zara and Sofia for DD2 so this could be a strong contender again

gorionine Lina too close to Leila i feel. is the name you are thinking of rayan? just looked it up on another site. This is a lovely name also.

Its so hard finding cross culture names!

Hopefully we have just found a boys name though!

puzzletree Tue 23-Aug-11 19:12:48

Pretty sure Noah is ok, maybe pronounced more like Noor in arabic, but a Muslim friend named his son this.
Also thought Elias for a boy, or Yasmin for a girl? Think they're ok too. But obviously your DH and his family are the ones to check with!

HeidiHole Tue 23-Aug-11 19:14:46

Seems like Noah is allowed?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_view_of_Noah

BuzNuz Tue 23-Aug-11 22:34:10

I quite like Hanna or Maaria or Amaanah for girls.
Ayman for boys.

mumzy Tue 23-Aug-11 23:19:24

Danyaal and Miriam

gorionine Wed 24-Aug-11 06:25:00

Inthenightmaregarden, Noah was a prophet in Islam too so definitely ok. The arabic version is Nuh or Nooh.

gorionine Wed 24-Aug-11 06:27:24

sorry , posted to fast, Noor means "light" in Arabic and is a different name to Nooh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now