Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Bee as a nn for Elizabeth

(13 Posts)
deliakate Tue 23-Aug-11 15:04:41

Bit of a naming saga for our DD - she's three months now. She started life with a different name, which we told EVERYONE. We then had to go back and say it was actually going to be Elizabeth. She really suits it, but am now thinking of nns and I want to use Bee. Is this ridiculous? Is it going to seem like I'm just changing her name again???

Iamkenny Tue 23-Aug-11 15:14:34

I think because of the -beth part of her name you would get away with it as long as it was Bee not Bea.

It is only a nn so it wouldn't be ridiculous at all.

other nn I found are Bess, Bessie, Bessy, Beta, Beth, Betsey, Bette, Betti, Bettina, Bettine, Betty, Buffy, Eliza, Elli, Els, Elyza, Elzira, Ilsa, Ilse, Libby, Lilibet, Lilibeth, Lise, Liz, Liza, Lizbet, Lizbeth, Lyza, Sissy, Telsa, Lizzie; Liesl, Liezel, Lizette.

So compared to them Bee is positively normal

jkklpu Tue 23-Aug-11 19:29:11

You can choose any nickname for your child, whether or not it has a resemblance to the official name, and you may find that she invents her own as she gets older.

InstantAtom Tue 23-Aug-11 19:30:35

If I met a Bee and heard this name without it being written down, I'd assume it was Bea short for Beatrice. I think others may do the same.

MissHonkover Tue 23-Aug-11 19:54:40

"Thinking of nns" seems very forced and artificial, why can't you just wait and see what you end up calling her?

I don't think it will seem like you're re-naming her, unless either Bee is very close to her previous name (eg she used to be called Beatrice, or something beginning with B) or you announce to everyone what her new nickname is.

Just a thought, are you trying to find a nickname for her because you're not 100% sure about her new name?

Nagoo Tue 23-Aug-11 19:56:09

I wouldn't think about it too hard. I now call my baby Bob grin her name's obviously not Bob.

MissHonkover Tue 23-Aug-11 20:23:46

Is it short for Kate? grin

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 23-Aug-11 20:27:37

I'm guessing her current name is Beatrice or similar otherwise I can't imagine how you'd get Bee from Elizabeth. But hey, your baby, you can call her Ken short for Elizabeth if you want!

Papyrus Tue 23-Aug-11 21:14:34

I agree that nicknames come organically. My DD1 is also called Elizabeth, we started off calling her by her full name, which gradually got shortened to Eliza; but when she was learning to talk she referred to herself as Elsa. She's now eight and probably Eliza 70% of the time and Elsa the other 30%. Just to complicate matters her school friends often call her 'E' or Elsie.

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 23-Aug-11 21:42:14

Totally agree with Papyrus. DD is Harriet. I was planning on calling her Harry and did so for the first few weeks of her life. She's gone three now and do we call her Harry? No chance, she's Hatsy. It just developed, no way we could have planned that.

naughtaless Tue 23-Aug-11 22:46:14

When my Niece was born SIL told us her name was Elizabeth but it was to be shortened to Beth. Which has over the years become Bee, (family, school and now work) except for SIL who calls her Bessie and FIL who calls her Lizzie! Apparently she likes being called Lizzie by FIL as it's their special bond. She's 21 btw.

mrswoodentop Tue 23-Aug-11 22:58:33

I know 2 adult Elizabeths who are known as Bee .quite like it but in both cases very few people know that their proper name is Elizabeth

naughtaless Tue 23-Aug-11 23:01:40

I worked with an Adult called Tizzy which was a nn for Elizabeth, anything goes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: