Talk

Advanced search

New shortlist for girls opinions please

(21 Posts)
wearenotamused Tue 23-Aug-11 12:37:17

Right, we went back to the drawing board for girls (to some extent) so what do you think of:

Cassie
Emmy
Callie
Lara
Essie
Kit (nn Kitty)
Nell
Lexa (nn Lex/Lexi)
Ally
Leia
Miri

DS is Luka (nn Luk/Lu) and Surname is stupidly long and ends with a 'ee' sound (it's actually a 'hi')

Middle name is either Mary or Catherine

Thanks

minipie Tue 23-Aug-11 12:56:25

Kitty is lovely. Kit is a well known boy's name though IMO. How about Kate nn Kitty.

Leia is a lovely name and I think the Star Wars thing is now long enough ago not to be a problem.

Emmy is very sweet. I would call her Emma/Emily nn Emmy though.

Those three are my favourites from your list.

In general I like all of the list but would use a longer form on the birth certificate and then the name on your list as a nickname.

The only one I dislike is Essie, not sure why, maybe because it reminds me of "essay" and brings back bad student memories!

Iamkenny Tue 23-Aug-11 12:59:19

Cassie - On our shortlist.
Emmy - Em and Luk go well together
Callie - Really goes with Luka and I like it
Lara - Illiteration with Luka, if things just come with L. Surname on them what one will it be. But it is alright I suppose
Essie - Don't like
Kit (nn Kitty) - It's nice, goes with Luka
Nell - I really like, you don't get a lot
Lexa (nn Lex/Lexi) - Really like it but again Illiteration with Luka, if things just come with L. Surname on them what one will it be.
Ally - Alicia would be better with that as a nn
Leia - Star Wars!! which is really cool but Illiteration with Luka, if things just come with L. Surname on them what one will it be.
Miri - I really like it (it's on our shortlist) except it comes from Miriam so you couln't have it with Mary.

I would say about having a first name with an e sound and a surname with one would be to much. But if you surname is really long it may not be too bad. But if you do then use Catherine not Mary.

JIRkids Tue 23-Aug-11 13:00:05

Favorite is Kitty (but short for Catherine not Kit) so baby could be Catherine (nn Kitty) Mary.

Most of the names seem like nick names to me, is that just because you want them called their name and not have it shortened?

Essie is nice too - is that short for Esther?

Leanbh2011 Tue 23-Aug-11 13:00:15

I'm liking Cassie, Callie, Leia & Lara. I don't take much heed of middle names really.....they are never used & not even sure if we'll give babs one. Bit pointless!

Agree with op...don't like Essie either (not mad on Miri actually)

Best of luck!

cece Tue 23-Aug-11 13:02:03

Cassie - OK
Emmy - OK
Callie - prefer spelling Cally in which case I like a lot
Lara - OK
Essie - not sure
Kit (nn Kitty) - isn't Kit a boys name?
Nell - like
Lexa (nn Lex/Lexi) - no it sounds like a nn
Ally - sounds like a nn
Leia - not sure how to say this so no
Miri - no

Jojay Tue 23-Aug-11 13:02:23

I've just named my DD Lara, so I'm somewhat biased grin

Not sure I'd use it with Luka though.

minipie Tue 23-Aug-11 13:11:52

Oh just saw your DS is Luka.

I wouldn't have a Leia and a Luke/Luka. They are brother and sister in Star Wars...

Iamkenny Tue 23-Aug-11 13:11:57

ohh just realised. Unless you are a massive star wars geek maybe stay away from Leia.

Luka (Luke) and Leia. Unless you are Padmé and your DH is Anakin.

ohh that made me laugh.

wearenotamused Tue 23-Aug-11 13:43:19

JIRkids It's DH thing, his actual name is very very far removed from the name he is known as and it irritates him no end, so he wants a name that either the name DC will be called by or that the nn makes complete sense eg first half of the name.
It is also a compromise between 'american' names (DH is American and DS was born there) and not being very american-like if that makes sence.

Right Leia is off the list. And no Kenny I'm not Padme. but that would be cool.

Keep your views coming please - this is too hard (Glad I didn't get a say on DS now :P )

randomimposter Tue 23-Aug-11 14:22:53

Hmmm.

My faves are Nell which I love, Cassie and Lara. BUT none of those work that well with either MN although Eleanor Catherine - nn Nell is good?

But with Luka...? I don't think any of the Ls are an option, and in fact all of the girl names sound quite nicknamey whereas Luka is a full name IYSWIM.

How about Luka and Clara Mary/Aurora Catherine/Elsa Catherine.

ohthanks Tue 23-Aug-11 15:23:36

Cassie - I like and is recoginisable as a name on it's own
Emmy - OK
Callie - Same as Cassie
Lara - Don't use another L with Luka
Essie - not sure. They'd get Es so could work when they were older
Kit (nn Kitty) - Would people think it is a boy could you do Kitty nn Kit
Nell - I really like it goes with Luka
Lexa (nn Lex/Lexi) - Same as Lara
Ally - It is alright nny
Leia - Same as lara
Miri - I like it goes with Luka but not as much as others.

Not sure if eith mn really go with those names - could you do anything else eg Maria for mary. kathleen/Catriona/Catrin/Cate/Caitlin for Catherine. One of them might go better with those names

Oh and I like Clara

IHeartKingThistle Tue 23-Aug-11 15:31:04

I think Essie is a Ghanan (how do you spell that? Ghanian? Ghanaan? Ghanain?) name meaning born on a Sunday. Still pretty!

kat2504 Tue 23-Aug-11 15:40:04

Kitty is a cute name for a little girl but I think it may be better as a nickname as I'm not sure it is so great for an adult. Since you have Catherine as a middle name, why not use it as a first name and use Kitty as the nickname? Especially if you spell it with a K.

Most of them sound too much like nicknames to me. Quite a few end in the ee sound and so does your surname so I think it would be better to use the longer versions of those names, and use your version as a nick name.

InstantAtom Tue 23-Aug-11 18:08:33

Cassie - lovely, particularly like as nickname for Cassia or Cassandra
Emmy - nice as a nickname
Callie - OK as a nickname
Lara - nice as short for Larissa
Essie - haven't heard of this one, sounds a bit incomplete (Bessie? Jessie? Tessie?)
Kit (nn Kitty) - dislike, cat's name
Nell - not keen
Lexa (nn Lex/Lexi) - don't like
Ally - OK as nickname for Alison
Leia - OK but would spell Leah
Miri - OK as nickname for Miriam

Miram Catherine
Leah Catherine
Cassia Mary
Larissa Mary

CurwySwide Tue 23-Aug-11 18:14:04

My favourites, in order of preference are:

Kitty
Nell
Cassie (short for Cassandra)
Lara

Not really keen on any of the others, sorry

popcornchicken Tue 23-Aug-11 19:28:13

i am a cassie and love it but wouldnt off lyked my full name to b cassandra x

redglow Tue 23-Aug-11 19:34:10

Nice name popcornchicken. i

Arrogantcat Tue 23-Aug-11 23:19:11

They're all nicknames/shortened versions of "proper" names aren't they? Am not keen on shortened names as names in themselves.

mathanxiety Wed 24-Aug-11 06:12:08

Lara or Emma (you could use Emmy as a nn). There are huge numbers of Emmas in the US.

All the rest are too nicknamey, and kids being what they are, your nicknamey names will be given nicknames, perhaps a long way from the original names you chose. You have no guarantee that you will end up with any specific name no matter what your intentions are. So I would be very tempted to use a 'proper' name on the BC instead of a name that appears informal/lacking in substance/frilly.

wearenotamused Wed 24-Aug-11 10:55:47

InstantAtom Actually Leah is nice (a different name to Leia though which is said Lay-ah)

Larissa I like though (but our two L's too much? after what some people have said)

Cassie (as a full name) is a family name so wouldn't have it as Cassandra/Cassia

And Alison I really don't like

jollster Clara I like. Aurora and Elsa aren't really our tastes

manthanxiety That is the problem with Emma (and Emily).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now