Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is Hugo a bit rah?

(45 Posts)
PipFEH Tue 23-Aug-11 10:25:33

Or even a lot rah?

Our little boy will be arriving this week by section and hubby and I are still not sure about names! Hubby's favourite is Hugo and I do like it, but I worry that it is a bit posh for us! We are very middle class! Our children are likely to go to a 'normal' school, rather than a 'posh' one (although they would go to the latter if we can afford it - not seeming likely at the moment - and a lot of our friends' children will, so we fall between the gap a bit). Other shortlisted names are Tobias, Sebastian and Alexander. Older children are Jude and Scarlett. Our surname does begin with an H, but we are happy that the alliteration works in this case. At the moment I think we will be going with Tobias, but hubby would jump at the chance to have Hugo if I could get over my concerns and I did choose the other two names so I feel like maybe I should let him have his favourite?

belgo Tue 23-Aug-11 10:26:27

No it's not posh. I much prefer Hugh.

SaulGood Tue 23-Aug-11 10:29:34

The truly rah don't use the word 'hubby'.

You'll be fine using Hugo. winkgrin

Good luck with the cs.

LynetteScavo Tue 23-Aug-11 10:31:34

No, it's not posh. I sooo wanted to call DS2 Hugo, but it didn't suit him. sad

A film called Hugo is coming out soon, so I think it might become a more popular name (the names I like usually shoot up in popularity really quickly hmm)

LynetteScavo Tue 23-Aug-11 10:31:45

www.guardian.co.uk/film/movie/142805/hugo

PipFEH Tue 23-Aug-11 10:32:06

Just to add - I don't want to be rah, or for people to think I am trying to be rah!

I prefer Hugh too, but that does sound baaaad with our surname.

BedHog Tue 23-Aug-11 10:33:24

I think Hugo is more 'Boden corduroy slacks and sensible haircut' rather than true plum-in-the mouth rah. Tobias is on the same level of poshness as Hugo, as is Sebastian. Alexander is more ubiquitous, as it is more popular.

RunnerHasbeen Tue 23-Aug-11 10:36:15

I think it depends on your accent, if you are going to be saying it with a long O, then it can sound quite Rah. If you have an accent where it is a short and sweet O then I don't think it sounds too posh at all and is lovely. By long I mean a sort of aayyy-oh sound that dips down, don't know if I'm making any sense - sorry, but if you can impersonate a posh accent saying it and that isn't how you sound, or how your son is likely to sound, then I think it will be okay.

PipFEH Tue 23-Aug-11 10:36:49

The only (real life) person I have encountered called Hugo was very posh (in a not very attractive way), which I think flavours my view of it. I then remind myself that Hurley in Lost was called Hugo and it then seems less posh!

PipFEH Tue 23-Aug-11 10:38:48

I am well spoken, but not plummy if that makes sense. I just don't really have any accent at all. Hubby is a brummie, but his accent is quite soft.

oohlaalaa Tue 23-Aug-11 10:38:56

it is definitely rah.

minipie Tue 23-Aug-11 11:06:46

Erm yeah I think Hugo's quite rah. It makes me think of floppy hair and pink shirts.

But then, so do Tobias and Sebastian. You just like rah names grin

Iamkenny Tue 23-Aug-11 11:31:59

I've only ever kown one and he as very very rah (the dickish sort of posh). So because of that yeah it is. But then Hugh isn't
Sebastian is also rah - Seb Coe
Tobias is less so (prob because of nn Tobi/Toby)
Alexander would be depending on nn. Alex no Xander yes.

But they are the names you like to what ever you go for it is going to be slightly rah.

sonniebonnie Tue 23-Aug-11 11:35:51

Would it be bad having a 'rah' name confused?

But more importantly, I'm not keen on the 'heeoo' sound that Hugo begins with in English. I guess it would be Hug-o otherwise grin.

sonniebonnie Tue 23-Aug-11 11:37:29

"very very rah (the dickish sort of posh)" confused

InstantAtom Tue 23-Aug-11 11:47:40

Yes I think Hugo's a bit rah.

Prefer Hugh, it's more of a timeless classic and more versatile smile

PipFEH Tue 23-Aug-11 12:21:02

I really like Hugh, but it doesn't work very well with our surname (begins with H). Hugo works better because the 'go' bit breaks up all the h's!

PipFEH Tue 23-Aug-11 12:22:14

We will just see what he looks like once he is here regardless, but I do find it interesting to see how others perceive a name.

Willabywallaby Tue 23-Aug-11 12:27:31

I love Hugh (I have one!), so obviously see the 'o' as pointless

SpringHeeledJack Tue 23-Aug-11 12:30:32

Hugo=v rah

mind you, so were Olivia and Oliver a while back. You never know

largeginandtonic Tue 23-Aug-11 12:34:59

I have a Hugo.

Tis a brilliant name. He is Hug's for short.

Do it grin

Stokey38 Tue 23-Aug-11 12:42:58

I know a lovely Hugo, not 'rah' at all. I love it.

theroseofwait Tue 23-Aug-11 20:27:08

I have a Hugo - second LGATs 'Do it grin'!

Jury's still out on whether we're rahs though. . . . . .wink

ShoutyHamster Tue 23-Aug-11 21:15:58

Yes quite rah but a really nice name, so go for it! - goes with your others too.

deste Tue 23-Aug-11 23:03:01

Hugo is lovely, nicer than Hugh which sounds to me like an old mans name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now