Talk

Advanced search

Maggie and Peggy

(10 Posts)
ohthanks Mon 22-Aug-11 23:40:49

I have a cousin who has always be Peggy (she is a margaret on her Birth.cert but has never used it) everyone in family calls her Pegs/Peggy.

Is Maggie (on its own not as a nn for Margaret) too close to Peggy to use, me and DH can't decide?

SheCutOffTheirTails Mon 22-Aug-11 23:47:40

No, it's fine.

Even Peggy would be fine, having one in the next generation would be lovely and I'm sure your cousin would be honoured.

That said, Maggie is a way nicer name than Peggy, so on that basis stick with it.

I would definitely use it as a nn for Margaret for a couple of reasons

1 Margaret is a great, classic name. Your DD might be glad of it when she grows up.

2 It is actually a lovely way to carry on the family name without confusion - 2 Margarets, both known by different nicknames

TeamEdward Mon 22-Aug-11 23:51:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scarlettlips Tue 23-Aug-11 10:04:00

Daisy is also short for Margaret...don't ask my how or way?! I've know 2 Margaret's called Daisy.

Maggie is lovely

MelinaM Tue 23-Aug-11 11:21:50

Love Maggiesmile

SpringHeeledJack Tue 23-Aug-11 11:26:59

I've got a Maggie! would have been happy with Peggy also as a nn, but really love Maggie

I always think it sounds like a warm, friendly sort of name

...but then I would, wouldn't I wink

SheCutOffTheirTails Tue 23-Aug-11 11:30:11

Daisy is short for Magaret because of the Margerita plant, which is a type of Daisy*

<horticultural>

*this is close to the truth, but may be slightly inaccurate

Iamkenny Tue 23-Aug-11 11:50:24

Maggie is far nicer than Peggy - but that is by the by

I would say depends how close you are too her, but then you want to just use Maggie not margaret so I don't think it matters.

Even if you where both of them would have different nn - so I don't think it matters.

pranma Tue 23-Aug-11 12:03:32

Marguerite is like a huge daisy I think.
I love Maggie too but Margaret is a great name.

ohthanks Tue 23-Aug-11 15:31:57

It appears it is definatly sticking on the shortlist with no problems. Thank you

SheCutOffTheirTails get what you are saying about Margaret except not a family name anyway. We have same Paternal Grandparents in common. Margaret is a family name for her on her Maternal side. But will bear it in mind about when older.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now