Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anybody else associate names with people?

(6 Posts)
nosexpleaseimpregnant Mon 22-Aug-11 19:05:07

Does anyone else have issues picking names because every name you pick reminds you of someone that you once went to school/worked/hung around with that were either rude/gobby/ugly/geeky etc?

sonniebonnie Mon 22-Aug-11 19:07:28

Yes, but we often forget that this association will change once we meet a new, different person with that name.

headfairy Mon 22-Aug-11 19:09:37

The only name I've ever strongly associated with a particular characteristic is Peter. It was never in contention as ds's name, but no matter how many Peter's (or Pete's for that matter) I meet I always associate the name with fat people. All because one of my dad's oldest friends is Peter and he's very large.

chirpchirp Mon 22-Aug-11 20:58:19

I absolutely do this!
If I had a girl there is no way I could call her Gemma as she was the mega-bitch at high school. I would also feel weird using the name of an ex for a child although have no explaination as to why!

Wants3 Mon 22-Aug-11 21:42:16

I have so many names that I can't use as I have worked with small children for soooo long!

Fo0ffyShmoofer Mon 22-Aug-11 21:45:39

A few.

DH vetoed Abigail as a possible name for DD because of his first girlfriend. Apparently she was predatory and scary.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now