Talk

Advanced search

female James?

(38 Posts)
theworldspins Mon 22-Aug-11 14:48:02

Is there a female version or one that looks like/sounds like James (to use as a middle name if DC is DD) ?

Thanks

sassyTHEFIRST Mon 22-Aug-11 14:48:39

Jamie? Jaime?

stripeybump Mon 22-Aug-11 14:49:58

Jemima
Jaime
Jemma
Jamelia

?

MugglesandLuna Mon 22-Aug-11 15:00:53

Jasmine at a push.

UsingMainlySpoons Mon 22-Aug-11 15:07:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pinkgirlythoughts Mon 22-Aug-11 15:09:09

Jamesina

Iamkenny Mon 22-Aug-11 15:09:59

Jamie
Jaima/Jamia
Jamelia

That's hard - just use James :P (who uses their middle name) wink

wearenotamused Mon 22-Aug-11 15:17:58

you could go the french route - Jacqueline is the female James or one of it's nn ie Jacqui/Jacki

coffeeaddict Mon 22-Aug-11 15:18:51

I once did business with a girl called Jamie and on her official letters she signed off 'James'. It felt a bit odd tbh.

Malcontentinthemiddle Mon 22-Aug-11 15:19:33

Jemima - Jimmy?
Jamesina is the obvious one to my mind.

Isn't Jack short for John, rather than James?

wearenotamused Mon 22-Aug-11 15:30:18

You're going to get the geek in me now

James is derived from Jacob (Jacob in hebrew centuries of translation - they mean the same, come from same origin). James was Jacob but became James in N.T because translated via Greek not hebrew. (That is v.simplified)
In english it became James (obviously Jacob still used) in others Jacob evolved in a different way hence Jacqueline in french for a girl, From Jacques.

Jack as a nn for John evolved different (and only in english).

So depending on language it can be both.

Jem?

mathanxiety Mon 22-Aug-11 15:32:05

DD2 has a friend whose mn is James (apparently it was a surname on the mother's side).

Otherwise Jacqueline is a great idea.

mathanxiety Mon 22-Aug-11 15:33:48

Wearenotamused -- a friend named her DS Jacob Hamish and I have been biting my tongue ever since.

Ephiny Mon 22-Aug-11 15:36:47

Gemma/Jemma? Used to be quite popular, but don't hear them so much these days. Jamie is quite nice for a girl too.

SenoritaViva Mon 22-Aug-11 15:36:54

My niece is called Jaime (pronounced Jaymee) and I think its' lovely. She's 16 and loves her name.

tiredteddy Mon 22-Aug-11 15:48:52

I went to school with a girl called Jameson / jamieson not sure how it was spelt? Pronounced, Jay-me-son.

itsmekatielou Mon 22-Aug-11 16:09:14

my surname is james and my wife has never used my first name (katie) she ALWAYS has, from the moment we met, used my surname, so whenever we're out she calls me James and no one has really said anything or reacted to the fact i have a 'boy's name! ha ha.

i think James is a great name for a girl! (though i am biased!)

theworldspins Mon 22-Aug-11 18:39:07

Is this MumsNet giving me permission to use James as a mn if it is a girl or a boy ?!?! shock shock.

Thank you all very much.

mathanxiety Mon 22-Aug-11 19:05:33

James is a very soft sounding name imo and for a mn for a girl I think it is acceptable, especially if there is a family reason to use it.

I know a girl whose mn is Michael and that works imo. Also knew a Mary Faust which wasn't half as nice.

AberdeenAngusina Mon 22-Aug-11 20:44:05

It doesn't look or sound like James, but Jacobina is a female version.

CaptainMartinCrieff Mon 22-Aug-11 20:51:57

I actually know a female James. She goes by Jamie and doesn't tell anyone but close friends that she's actually a James.

Clary Tue 23-Aug-11 00:33:19

What? Noooo!

You can't call your daughter James! I know it's all about unisex names today (Taylor, Ellis, Mckenzie) but really, James is a boy's name.

I speak as someone who has a unisex name. My name doesn't tell you my sex which I hate. And my name is actually normally a girl. James is a boy. A girl will not I would imagine thank you for it.

<and breathe>

nickschick Tue 23-Aug-11 00:58:37

jamesy sounds a bit more girly?

I dont get the Jacob Hamish comment?

Coffee addict what type of business did you do with a girl called James .....hmm winkgrin.

wearenotamused Tue 23-Aug-11 01:04:25

mathanxiety oh my lord, not good - you are a better person than me, I would have cracked and said something smile

nickschick They are both variations/come from James. James comes from Jacob and Hamish is Scottish (anglasised from Seumas which is James in Gaelic)

nickschick Tue 23-Aug-11 01:05:30

aw ty wearenot - that was puzzling me smile im easily confused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now